PDA

View Full Version : Supporting The HDA Cause on Facebook

Pages : [1] 2 3

sue_twin2
10-11-08, 01:19 PM
Just letting everyone know that I created the "Supporting The Huntington's Disease Association" Cause (http://www.causes.com/supporting_the_HDA) on Facebook on 4th November as it seemed so unfair that there were several causes for the Huntington's Disease Society of America but none for the HDA as far as I could see.

I am delighted to report that the cause already has 168 members with the majority not being from HD families as far as I'm aware and that it has enabled one member to change her 10 year school reunion into a fancy dress fundraiser for the HDA!

As Facebook achieved the 100 million users goal earlier this year, I'm hoping to get 100 million supporters of the cause :eek: :tongue: :wink: As I might have a little difficulty achieving that single handed, please share the link with everyone you know:

"Supporting The Huntington's Disease Association" Cause at www.causes.com/supporting_the_HDA

sue_twin2
10-11-08, 01:25 PM
I also created a page/fan club associated with the cause to further spread awareness. Please encourage friends to join that too:

Supporting The Huntington's Disease Association Fan Club (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Supporting-The-Huntingtons-Disease-Association/32483229690)

sue_twin2
10-11-08, 02:48 PM
Thanks Ashlee - all help is greatly appreciated. :D

frankie
10-11-08, 03:01 PM
Thank you for that Sue I will have a look and try and join up.
X

just1moreperson
10-11-08, 04:11 PM
100 million hey....good luck:tongue:

sue_twin2
10-11-08, 04:16 PM
Thanks Frankie and Matt! :D I'll need a lot of good luck to get 100 million members! :rolleyes: :wink: as still only up to 177 members so far...

just1moreperson
10-11-08, 04:24 PM
Almost there!!!

sue_twin2
10-11-08, 04:29 PM
I like your positive thinking, Matt! :D

myrna
10-11-08, 09:30 PM
Have been inviting friends Sue. Thanks for doing this.

just1moreperson
10-11-08, 10:33 PM
Myrna is inviting her friends, get to 100 million in no time now. Watch her go:rolleyes:

sue_twin2
10-11-08, 11:19 PM
Thanks Myrna - Matt's right.... you are second on the leader board of recruiters and we now have 202 members! :D

myrna
10-11-08, 11:38 PM
Myrna is inviting her friends, get to 100 million in no time now. Watch her go:rolleyes:

In J's words. You lippy young pup! :D

More like drinking buddies :wink::tongue::smile:
Are you joing the cheeky crew LC? Drinking buddies indeed. :rolleyes::D

Thanks Myrna - Matt's right.... you are second on the leader board of recruiters and we now have 202 members! :D

Yeah....see? 2nd leader, me. Ha! :wink::tongue:

DH
11-11-08, 12:02 AM
Facebook? Wossat? Is this why I haven't got any friends? :frown:

Maybe I should run this by my teenage stepdaughters. I'm guessing we'd crack the million mark in no time at all. If I only knew wot it was. :rolleyes:

DH
11-11-08, 12:13 AM
At the moment I am resisting.... I spend enough time staring at computer screens as it is.... :rolleyes:
And do I really want to put my whole life on line for everyone to see? Believe me, there are bits of me on line already that really shouldn't be. But fortunately they are buried deep within websites that are difficult to access.... luckily for the population at large :wink:

Top tip - never upload web content that you can't delete whilst p!ssed. DAMHIKT. :redface:

DH
11-11-08, 12:14 AM
I am LadyC no mates.
No, your official title is Guru LadyC. :tongue:

just1moreperson
11-11-08, 12:25 AM
Cheers Sue for those facts:mad: Given Myrna even more of an ego now...gods sake.

sue_twin2
12-11-08, 01:48 PM
Just a quick update to let you know we now have 240 members of the cause and 51 fans of the cause! :D

Myrna has slipped into third place in the Hall of Fame having just been overtaken by Zena who's recruited one more member than Myrna.... hopefully you can regain your second place soon, Myrna! :wink:

DH
12-11-08, 02:15 PM
Ok, Sue please forgive my ignorance but what is the significance of a page on Facebook? Is it just another way of raising awareness and possibly funds or is there more to it than that?

South Coaster
12-11-08, 04:31 PM
Ok, Sue please forgive my ignorance but what is the significance of a page on Facebook? Is it just another way of raising awareness and possibly funds or is there more to it than that?
Hi DH
As far as I know it's abit of each because if FaceBook newsfeeds etc show friends & friends of friends that someone's joined a Cause then that gives raised awareness 'cause people might then go look at the fund-raising info on the Cause as well ... at least that's what I hope

(There was a huge number of members on the recent US Presidency FB cause/group - afaik it was a major way of getting publicity & promo for the winning campaign from what I understand.....)

Caz
12-11-08, 05:28 PM
Sorry Sue, this Facebook thing is far too complicated for me:confused:
Have only just got the hang of this, I'll leave the Facebook for my kids!!

Caz

myrna
12-11-08, 05:42 PM
I thought facebook was just for the youngsters, but since joining I have found that not only can I raise awareness for HD & other causes that have a meaning to me on it, I get to stay in touch with friends & have re-connected with old friends & distant family who I had lost touch with. So many people of all ages are on there. And as a bonus there are lots of things to do on there & its a great way of sharing with people too. It's a good thing!

sue_twin2
12-11-08, 11:22 PM
Sorry for the delayed response, DH, I've had a very busy day but others have answered very fully - thanks all!

My main motivations for creating the cause and page on Facebook included:

1) I felt it was very unfair that the Huntington's Disease Society of America (HDSA) had many causes and groups devoted to it (100+) but the HDA appeared to have none.

2) With 100 million active users of Facebook it seemed too good an opportunity to miss!

3) As South Coaster said, the feeds at Facebook and the ability to post on people's profiles, etc. means that the ripple effect is fantastic. I anticipated that the membership would initially be friends from my HD network but the reality is that the majority of members so far had no previous connection to Huntington's at all.

4) The page layout of a cause on Facebook facilitates promoting donations.

5) The content of the cause can be varied by the creator to facilitate e.g. awareness by including the option to post videos, articles, links, etc.

Apart from the cause and page, I use every possible opportunity to raise awareness including naming my fairy "Cure Huntington's Disease" so that that message is posted in every magic garden the fairy visits to water the plants, and calling my team in the Save the Earth application "The Huntington's Disease Support Club", etc.

The cause now has 282 members and Myrna's in joint second place on the leader board of recruiters. :D

sue_twin2
12-11-08, 11:26 PM
Sorry Sue, this Facebook thing is far too complicated for me:confused:
Have only just got the hang of this, I'll leave the Facebook for my kids!!

Caz

No problem, Caz! When I first had a computer it took me a week to send an email! :eek: Never imagined I'd end up creating web sites, online shops, causes, etc. :wink: :D

DH
12-11-08, 11:32 PM
including naming my fairy "Cure Huntington's Disease" so that that message is posted in every magic garden the fairy visits to water the plants,
Are you on the same drugs as me? If yer not you should be...:cool:

sue_twin2
12-11-08, 11:37 PM
LOL! All my drugs are prescribed by my doctor apart from the nicotine and caffeine! I thought my fairy might generate comment! :tongue:

(Sue disappears into her magical garden to continue her quest...)

sue_twin2
12-11-08, 11:49 PM
:eek: I'm growing poppies but only because it was Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day recently - honest! :D

DH
12-11-08, 11:49 PM
I'd heard that Sue held the best parties. Now I know why. Right, I guess I'd better set up one of these Faceplant thingies to see if I can get some friends.

myrna
12-11-08, 11:59 PM
I'm trying to over take Zena. Have posted a begging plea on my profile. Will have to send everyone private begging messages tomorrow if I don't get more takers.

Sue I will look at your profile. I don't normally do anything with the gifts/growing things stuff. But if it all aids the good cause, I'm up for it. Can you send me a fairy?

sue_twin2
13-11-08, 12:03 AM
I'm trying to over take Zena. Have posted a begging plea on my profile. Will have to send everyone private begging messages tomorrow if I don't get more takers.

Sue I will look at your profile. I don't normally do anything with the gifts/growing things stuff. But if it all aids the good cause, I'm up for it. Can you send me a fairy?

Fairy invitation sent! :D

sue_twin2
13-11-08, 12:07 AM
A Facebook Tip:

If you include "Huntington's Disease" on your Info Page under "Personal Information" it becomes a clickable link to assist people networking with others sharing that interest.

just1moreperson
13-11-08, 12:10 AM
Can you send me a fairy?

Dave's on his way.:D:D:D:D sorry...:redface:

sue_twin2
13-11-08, 12:11 AM
I'm tryig to catch Myrna & Zena up. :eek:

Hey Ashlee..... change your featured cause to the Supporting The Huntington's Disease Association so that it appears on your profile page - should help the recruiting!

sue_twin2
13-11-08, 12:12 AM
Dave's on his way.:D:D:D:D sorry...:redface:

With you in close pursuit behind him, I hope! :rolleyes: :wink:

DH
13-11-08, 12:16 AM
Do you want to re-phrase that? Anyway, Matt's the one wearing the pink shirt when he goes to the Midlanders thing. :tongue:

sue_twin2
13-11-08, 12:22 AM
How do I do that?

D'ohhhhhhhhh!! :redface:

The recent teenager asking the nearly OAP how to do things on Facebook? :confused:

Click on the featured cause on your profile page which redirects you to that cause. At the top left you'll find a link "Causes Home".... click that. On the right hand side of the new page that opened you'll see your featured cause plus the option to change it. Click and change! :D

myrna
13-11-08, 12:33 AM
Thanks Sue, I now have a fairy & a poppy...tho I wanted a rose :mad:...maybe soon hey. Whatever, I'll support the HD causes somehow. Rose or no rose.

myrna
13-11-08, 12:36 AM
Myrna is there an easier way to send a message to all ur friends other than typing all thier names in?

Yep, am a member of facebook just dunno how to do anything!! :tongue:

Its a pain Ash. I found a way quite accidently. I'll have to look & see if I can re-find it to expalin it. Sorry thats not much help right now is it?

just1moreperson
13-11-08, 12:49 AM

Do you want to re-phrase that? Anyway, Matt's the one wearing the pink shirt when he goes to the Midlanders thing. :tongue:

A sick image right there:frown:

Real Men Wear Pink!

GO MATT!!

Shush Ashleeeeee

myrna
13-11-08, 12:58 AM
Ash, I can't find how I did it.:frown: I know I clicked somewhere that said recruit 100 members which sent me a message to my email addy. I followed a link from there & was able to just click on each & every name individually. Sorry I can't help more....hopefully you will find a way.

sue_twin2
13-11-08, 01:39 AM
Myrna... I see you have the cause at the very bottom of your Boxes Page. I don't know if you are aware that you can click and drag the boxes on that page to reposition them, and that you can add the cause to your profile page by clicking on the link "Applications" right down at the bottom left of any Facebook page, then click on "Edit" at the top right of the pop up list. On the new page that opens, find Causes and click Edit on the right and a pop up box "edit causes settings" appears. Go through the four headings changing everything to make it as public as possible. IM me if you need help!

myrna
13-11-08, 05:59 PM
Myrna... I see you have the cause at the very bottom of your Boxes Page. I don't know if you are aware that you can click and drag the boxes on that page to reposition them, and that you can add the cause to your profile page by clicking on the link "Applications" right down at the bottom left of any Facebook page, then click on "Edit" at the top right of the pop up list. On the new page that opens, find Causes and click Edit on the right and a pop up box "edit causes settings" appears. Go through the four headings changing everything to make it as public as possible. IM me if you need help!

Oh dear...it sounds complicated to me even though you make it sound simple. I will go & take a look now, but think you ought to expect a PM from me. :confused:

myrna
13-11-08, 09:51 PM
Hope you'll send me a friend request too LC.
You'll soon get the hang of it. I did!

Caz
13-11-08, 10:07 PM
Guess what,

After your encouragement last night, I went on the facebook thing, OMG. I have joined up cos my sister in law has been on at me to do it ages ago and I took a link from her email.

Just went in it just now and Ashlesss birthday cake came up. I'm not sure what i've to do now.??

Caz

Caz
13-11-08, 10:46 PM
Thanks Ash.

Right Sue, have joined your thing now and think I've invited my one and only friend to do same (I hope).
Have also done the fan page as well.
Regards
Caz

South Coaster
13-11-08, 10:58 PM
Myrna is there an easier way to send a message to all ur friends other than typing all thier names in?

Yep, am a member of facebook just dunno how to do anything!! :tongue:Yep:

Easiest way is to create one or more Friend Lists. (I have one for friends, one for colleagues and so forth)

Then you can just choose the name of the list and bingo!! everyone in it gets the message :) ... Friend Lists can be used pretty much everywhere in your FB for invitations, messages etc

It's also how to control privacy and allow certain lists/people to see stuff and others not... which is quite handy :)

DH
13-11-08, 11:36 PM
I just got myself a beautiful fairy garden. I am so happy :D
Awwww! I want one! :redface:

Do I have to join Faceplant to get one?

Caz
13-11-08, 11:41 PM
Ash,

you and lady c are on now. Is it ok to do the others, have only done tom so far, and didn't put a message. How will they know its me?? should i be sending a message with it?
caz

myrna
13-11-08, 11:42 PM
Yep you do DH, then you can help to water our gardens. :smile:

Caz
13-11-08, 11:44 PM
Oh myrna,

you came up as well, so i asked you to be my friend too. :D
cazzz

Caz
13-11-08, 11:56 PM
what like its caz from hda message board?