I was watching it with my mum last night and it said next time
" We think its Huntingtons!" ooh going to watch it next week
Thursday 9pm :D

just1moreperson
15-08-08, 02:31 PM
what is it???? never heard of the show lol

just1moreperson
15-08-08, 10:26 PM
lol I still don't know it! But shall look out for it next week.

Tom.L
17-08-08, 01:13 PM
Trust me to get the name wrong x[

poppysox
17-08-08, 02:43 PM
LOL Tom dont worry we know the right name now thanks for the info

just1moreperson
17-08-08, 03:52 PM
It's ok Tom, you with your Harvey street and me with my Dream team. It's catching on.

Tom.L
17-08-08, 08:18 PM
Yess. I could say anything but I know what it means in my head.
if that makes sense ooohdear ;[

poppysox
17-08-08, 08:23 PM
LOL Tom amd Matt it takes us oldies to keep you right

Tom.L
17-08-08, 08:24 PM
It sure does, dont depend on this generation! Lolz

just1moreperson
17-08-08, 09:26 PM
GCSE results bah, still a baby Tom! Good luck bud, let us know how you do...that's if they're any good mind. If you do rubbish don't bring it up :tongue:

lucyloo
21-08-08, 10:34 PM
Did you watch Harley Street Tom? I bet you were too busy celebrating!

If anyone saw it, can you tell me what happened, cos I missed it, got bit carried away on Sing Star!!

Ta LL

hdauk
21-08-08, 11:01 PM
Hi All

Well I watch it - some serious errors, but am on to it!

Cathx

just1moreperson
21-08-08, 11:38 PM
what a shocker lol

poppysox
22-08-08, 09:37 AM
I didnt see it either. Cath can you tell us about it please

Amanda Stansfield
22-08-08, 09:47 AM
You would think that if the BBC ITV or god forbid Channel 4 were going to do ANYTHING on ANY illness in one of their pathetic programmes they would at least try and get as much info as possible before making a complete b*****ks of it? I remember watching Holby City (god thats sad lol) and they made a right hash of the Huntington's topic!!!

Someone get these people told :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

hdauk
22-08-08, 12:35 PM
Hi All

For those of you who didn't see it, a very quick synopsis is the programme is based on a private medical practice, one of the Dr's gets a visit from an old flame, who asks her to test him for HD which she does, and he has it (he was displaying symptoms - and no these where not accurate!), the complication is that her daughter who is in her teens is actually his child. The Dr goes on to get a sample from her daughter and test her (without her knowing what for). The whole thing was inaccurate and insensitive.

I have e mailed them today and told them.

Cath

katiepie
22-08-08, 01:23 PM
Thanks Cath,

It dosn't help us in every day life when members of the public don't understand and worse than that have a wrong impression of what HD actually is and how it affects lives.

Kath

poppysox
22-08-08, 01:25 PM
Hi Cath

Thanks for that I have googled it and its on ITV catch up so anyone can watch it online ( I havent watched it yet ) it will be available online for 30 days. Thanks for the info and well done emailing them. Perhaps you will let us know if they reply
thanks a lot

just1moreperson
22-08-08, 01:37 PM
The problem is they probably got some fresh out of uni moron doing the research who doesn't have a clue.

hdauk
22-08-08, 01:38 PM
Hi All

Yes, I'll let you know when I get a response.

I agree, there is enough misinformation without ITV adding to this. There is no excuse!

Cath

just1moreperson
22-08-08, 01:52 PM
They probably watched "house" on five for their research :tongue:

katiepie
22-08-08, 01:53 PM
They probably watched "house" on five for their research :tongue:

Droll too droll:redface:

poppysox
23-08-08, 08:55 AM
So true Ashlee and they could have it from the "horses mouth" so to speak. Its very annoying!!!!!

millymolly
23-08-08, 08:59 PM
Well, I didn't watch it because apparently the whole series was poor and something kinda told me it would be inaccurate. It's a shame that we don't get some proper information out there, but well done Cath.
MM

hdauk
29-08-08, 12:18 AM
Dear All

I promised I would come back with any response I got - don't shoot the messenger!

I've pasted the reply I had for your information.

have been in touch with us today following your complaint about a storyline in episode 6 of Harley Street. As the Executive producers of the programme we thought it would be useful for us to get back to you directly.

We are very sorry the storyline about Huntington’s disease has caused upset to anyone. The programme was carefully researched and our intention was to portray the condition in a sensitive and accurate manner. A professional geneticist was consulted in addition to the 2 doctors who provided advice across the series.

We fully accept that tests for Huntington’s disease can only be carried out by a geneticist and under normal circumstances a lab would not perform tests from an unauthorised source. For this reason our story was deliberately constructed around a private arrangement and a geneticist carried out the test as a favour to our GP characters. The character’s decision to have her daughter tested was a part of this arrangement and was therefore carried out in the same ‘off the record’ or informal manner.

Our intention with Harley Street was to produce a drama that brought to light medical issues not necessarily in the public consciousness. We aimed to tell stories without being alarmist or sensational. We know your organisation has spoken to many people since the transmission and can understand this will have meant a lot of additional work to both you and the all the people connected to your organisation.

Yes, I have responded, and yes, I agree it isn't acceptable and yes, I have told them and explained why!

Thanks

Cath

frankie
29-08-08, 10:44 AM
hi Cath,

I wrote and complained several years ago after watching the portrayal of a man who proved to have HD in Holby . They had him tested and diagnosed in the same day and then didn't fight to save his life . The show was most distressing and was way off the norm. The show's producers responded in almost the same way as the Harley Street ones and said it was all feasable and they had taken expert advice and guiadance. I was not happy with their attitude and the fact they just wanted to make a good story without taking peoples feelings into consideration and what's wrong with using real life accuracy.

Thank you for putting the Harley Street producers right, Perhaps these people will try and be more accurate with their storylines in future and will have learnt something in the process.

just1moreperson
29-08-08, 12:01 PM
I remember that Holby one Frankie. Someone from our support group rang them up about it, because it had shown someone being suicidal with HD and the guy from the support group had a kid who suddenly thought his mum may kill herself.

These tv shows are useless. It's always got to be dramatic and over the top. To be honest it's the reason I don't watch alot of these programs. There not clever enough to provide entertainment and realism at the same time so they have to provide cheap crap for cheap thrills.

millymolly
29-08-08, 12:38 PM
I remember that Holby one Frankie. Someone from our support group rang them up about it, because it had shown someone being suicidal with HD and the guy from the support group had a kid who suddenly thought his mum may kill herself.

These tv shows are useless. It's always got to be dramatic and over the top. To be honest it's the reason I don't watch alot of these programs. There not clever enough to provide entertainment and realism at the same time so they have to provide cheap crap for cheap thrills.

Spot on Matt!!
MM

frankie
29-08-08, 05:30 PM
I think these producers should contact the organisations like the HDA before these programmes go out instead of speaking to genetacists and doctors who say yes certain things are possible but life isnt like that.
They would also probably get more interesting stories if they used true case studies and real life stories.

lucyloo
29-08-08, 10:29 PM
I totally agree with you Frankie.

Well done Cath.

LL

poppysox
30-08-08, 09:42 AM
Totally agree Frankie

Tom.L
30-08-08, 04:41 PM
I know my mum was sooo angry and so was I when i watched it back!!

I am going to make a film and send it off to all the companies and show them how its really done, stupppidddddddddd idiots, only channel4 hasnt done anything on HD so maybe we could get them to do something possitive and show them the real insight of hd not just a load of jibberish.