Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 17-11-14, 03:54 AM   #11
shiraz
Approved Member

Default Re: Inconsistencies in pip claims

Viva La Revolution!!

I've just gone through your questions Allan and answered them for Hubs and from my viewpoint.

He would give answers scoring 5 to 6 mainly due to pride. After all he's fine!
I would give answers scoring anywhere from 28 to 38 - his abilities/capabilities vary from day to day, nay hour to hour and, the biggy is, many are worsening. None of these questions address the personal trauma/distress of everyday life.

I'm still really pee'd off.
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 09:58 AM   #12
Joseharry
Approved Member

Allan,

What a fantastic idea.

I just hope the HDA are willing to take up the cause on our behalf.

Brenda.
Joseharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 12:05 PM   #13
Fruitgum
Approved Member

Hi All

I hope that I can clarify some of the concerns that you have raised in this thread:

1 - Cancer is not given priority over HD in the PIP process as its not primarily about the health condition anymore but rather how the condition affects the person's day to day function. The health condition has to be long term (in DWP terminology this is any condition over 12 months in length (affecting the claimant for 3 months prior to the application / 9 months (at least) after the claim) and affect function so this can be HD or MS or PD or depression or arthritis or cancer. PIP is only awarded to a condition that is terminal if it can be proven that the person has 6 months to live from time of application (the DWP will then ask for proof from the claimant's GP/Consultant). So, yes, HD is a degenerative condition which is ultimately fatal but does not meet the DWP criteria (please don't shoot the messenger).

2 - PIP is different from WCA/ESA as it is about day to day function and not work specific. PIP can be claimed if a person is still working. As people with HD have very individual presentations (some have poor cognition / some behavioural issues / some mainly movement problems / many all of the latter) - the level of award is going to be different for each despite having the same condition.

3 - Not everyone who puts in an application has to have an assessment. Some do have their awards given based on a paper review but the evidence that was sent with that review as well as the way the form was filled in was enough to satisfy the reviewer. A letter from your GP or Consultant should detail all the function (as posted in Allan's message) as well as their opinion and diagnosis. Questionnaires should comment on whether the ability (or not) to do something can be done in a timely/safe and acceptable manner. An OT assessment might help here. ATOS or Capita do not have access to all previous records (i.e. DLA information) and whilst they may send for a GP report this often arrives after your assessment and may not be very thorough depending on your relationship with the GP.

4 - I am shocked that JoseHarry and Shiraz's health professionals have suggested that they do not apply on behalf on their loved ones. If their function is affected, then they absolutely must. Arghhhhhhhh!

5 - Re Allan's point on section 3 of the PIP (Medications/monitoring a health condition). This is about the person's ability (or not) to remember to take their meds or understanding the need to take their meds or perhaps needing someone else to monitor and administer their meds on their behalf. The 'someone' else is a family member/friend (not a health professional). It might be that the claimant does not know when they are having a relapse (i.e. with a mental health problem) and they need someone to keep an eye on them / it might be that they cannot apply creams needed for a skin condition, etc. Hope this is a bit clearer.

Warmest wishes as ever
Fruitgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 08:19 PM   #14
jaq
Approved Member

We are one of the post codes hopefully will be in the second phase.

Jaq
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote