Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > New Members

New Members Introduce yourself, and get to know how the HDA Message Board works

Old 08-07-12, 11:01 AM   #1
roots

Default Met someone at risk - here for info.

Hi. I've met a man who is at risk for HD, he is 37 with a CAG count of 48 and being tested for onset of symptoms but is so far fine. I know he is guaranteed to get HD, but my heart is stubborn and the diagnosis isn't affecting my desire to be with him. But he has to live with this, and he isn't sure if he's prepared to let himself be loved with this spectre looming over him. So I'm just here for information and question asking, as I continue to learn about this disease that will be affecting the man I may or may not be allowed to love. thanks in advance for information, a morning of reading has lead me to believe this is a safe supportive place for information gathering.
suzy.
roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 09:20 PM   #2
dennisw
Approved Member

Default Re: Met someone at risk - here for info.

Hi suzy,
Welcome to the MB. Besides this and the HDA web site, you may find it useful to talk with your local Regional Care Advisor, this would be confidential. The list is on the contacts pages of the main web site or ring HQ on 0151 331 5444 for the details.
Dennis
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 11:07 PM   #3
Cupcake
Approved Member

Hi and hello

My hubby has early stages HD. Sorry you find yourself here but we can't help who we fall in love with. The road ahead is hard if you stay together, there is no doubt about that. I have been with hubby for 29 years, some days I don't recognise the man I am with he can be so difficult and I do find it mentay exhausting. We plod on, he can't help it. I hope you can find the support u need to help him. Maybe if he does not let you love him, if you are around you can help support him, it won't be easy either way. He is very lucky to have you. Take care xx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 11:20 AM   #4
Paula
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots View Post
Hi. I've met a man who is at risk for HD, he is 37 with a CAG count of 48 and being tested for onset of symptoms but is so far fine. I know he is guaranteed to get HD, but my heart is stubborn and the diagnosis isn't affecting my desire to be with him. But he has to live with this, and he isn't sure if he's prepared to let himself be loved with this spectre looming over him. So I'm just here for information and question asking, as I continue to learn about this disease that will be affecting the man I may or may not be allowed to love. thanks in advance for information, a morning of reading has lead me to believe this is a safe supportive place for information gathering.
suzy.
Hi Suzy.

Pretty much the same as me. I met my partner when he was 37, his mum is in the advanced stages of hd. He hasn't been tested and has no intentions of. He is about to turn 40 and is showing a lot of the early symptoms. And (god forgive for saying this) but if he isn't hd positive I will be amazed.

We are getting married next year, you can't help who you fall in love with. Stay with it! But as I have just started to get involved, one of the main things that I have learned is to get help, support and carry on talking to people about it, those who understand are best!!!

Take care

Paula
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote