Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > New Members

New Members Introduce yourself, and get to know how the HDA Message Board works

Old 25-01-12, 06:55 PM   #1
geoff75
Approved Member

Default new here

hello everyone i,m a 36 yr old lad ,i lost my dad about 5 yr ago through hd my sister had the test and she was negative.My older brother has hd he is real bad with his speech,shakes,etc.anyway i have sufferd real bad with anxiety for the last two year i also had a bad time with it approx 10 yr ago .For the last maybe six month all i think about is if i have hd i have a doctor appointment next thursday to see about getting the test done i dont think i,m ready but i,m sick of the constant thoughts.i no the anxiety could be anything as i dont show any signs of hd but its just in my mind 24/7.i,ve told my wife partly how i feel but i,m the type of person to keep it bottled up i dont want to tell my mam because i no how upset she will be.Anyway thanks for listening .
geoff75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 02:38 PM   #2
battersea
Approved Member

Default Re: new here

Hi welcome to the board and sorry that you are having a rough time of it. My husband has HD and I have a 21 year old daughter who has had the genetic counselling but is waiting to be tested, until she finishes uni etc. Maybe just starting the counselling process will help you make up your mind what you want to do
Take care
S x
battersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 03:16 PM   #3
Blondie
Approved Member

Welcome Geoff.

Glad you found us so hopefully you can share your thoughts and feelings with us from now on.
Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 03:43 PM   #4
Littleme
Approved Member

Hello,

Sorry you have to be here - sounds like your having a bit of a rough time at the moment.

My husband decided he wanted to be tested last year - we found the counselling sessions incredibly useful and in the end my husband decided he wasn't ready to be tested - but he had, had a lot of his questions answered which has given him some peace.

Good luck with it all xx
Old 27-01-12, 06:20 PM   #5
geoff75
Approved Member

thanks for the reply,s deep down i dont want it done its just the constant thinking about it that make,s me feel worse .i will have the counselling sessions then i will have to make the decision
Old 27-01-12, 06:24 PM   #6
jo
Approved Member

welcome geff x
jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 08:03 PM   #7
Cupcake
Approved Member

Hi and welcome sorry you are here

I am on the board as by hubby has HD, he was finally diagnosed as having the gene and early symptons March 2010. It has been a downward spiral since then. I have two sons 23 and 21 not tested yet and no plans to.

I am sorry you find yourself here, but I know how you are feeling in a way, my hubby was similar age to you when his dad died of HD after being diagnosed about a year before that. Up until then we had no idea what was wrong with him and did not know it was in the family or even heard of it, if I am honest. He was not showing any signs, only the odd twitch and probably irratable moods, but they can happen to anyone. We toyed with him being tested went for the counselling at the genetics clinic and opted out at the last minute, deciding to bury our heads in the sand and keep our fingers crossed, we could not be that unlucky. Foolish maybe, however since the diagnosis my hubby has not coped with the situation at all, the disease is starting to kick and he has dreadful depression, if you look back on my posts you will see how bad the last year has been. We are still not at acceptance. I think everyone is an individual, and only you can make a decision whether to test or not, go for the counselling explore the options, everyone at the genetics clinic is really kind and helpful, then think of yourself and your family when you make the final decision. Its a daily ticking bomb, waiting to go off, if you are negative it will give you piece of mind, if it is positive how will you cope? Take your time, and lean on your partner and support through this difficult time.

Take care xxxxxx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-12, 07:21 PM   #8
Trish
Approved Member

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to Messy Board.
Old 24-08-12, 03:45 PM   #9
geoff75
Approved Member

well i had my first appoinment on thursday was ok but its starting to make me feel more anxious.Havent decided what to do yet, i want the test done but i,m really scared of a positive result dont no how i would deal with it. i,m trying to be positve at the end of the day its a flip of a coin fingers crossed