Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 18-06-08, 08:58 AM   #1
fellwalker
Approved Member

Default Moving House

Does anyone know of a legal adviser who could give info on my situation? Is this something the HDA would be able to deal with? My wife is in the advanced stages of huntington's and lives full-time in a nursing home, which placement is financed by the local authority. I try to have her home once or twice a week, but as I am not too well myself this is very demanding physically, not helped by the fact that our house is very unsuitable for wheelchairs, toilet facilities etc. I should like to move to a house which is more suitable. At present, as I am my wife's spouse the value of the house, whilst I am living in it, is not taken into account when the local authority assesses our assets. Would this concession still apply if I were to sell the original house and buy another more suitable home? Another point. We live almost on the county boundary, and would the situation re funding be altered if I were to buy a new house just over the border in another county?
Old 09-07-08, 09:57 PM   #2
fellwalker
Approved Member

Default Re: Moving House

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaintyTrish View Post
Hi Fell.

I hope the HDA can come up with someone who can give a definative answer but it may be worth you calling them/ your RCA and asking direct for guidance. I'm not sure you'll get much of a response in here as it is such a complex issue and it sounds like you need a contact with knowledge of your local authority among other general legalities (they differ so much how they approach things).

Trishx
Many thanks for your advice, Trishx. (Sorry for the delay in replying - had to make a quick trip to US) I'll be contacting HDA directly - also will be bearing in mind your other points. Will let you know how I get on. As you say, it's a complex situation!