Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > New Members

New Members Introduce yourself, and get to know how the HDA Message Board works

Old 25-09-18, 05:01 PM   #1
Lucy.T.Morris

Default our story

Hi, I want to tell you all about my journey and how I am all too known to the words "Huntington's disease".
I was 8 years old when my mother told me what was causing her dreadful twitches and memory loss, but of coarse it meant nothing to me as I was too young to even understand. As I grew older I learnt more and more what this horrid thing was, I learnt that it grew in my family and stole my nan and 2 of my mums sisters from my family.
I was 12 years old when my parents split but my dad was always around and very supportive for me and my mum, as I'm growing older my mum always told me she wanted to travel to Switzerland for dignitas when the time was right but she never had the money. My mum was so very unhappy and her life was miserable as she was getting worse and worse. I was 16 years old when little did I know that I was having my last Christmas with my mum, it was an awful day as she was just crying out in pain all day. My mum was a very independent person and would never let me or anyone help with anything, and that's why she done what she done. On the 17th of March 2014 she decided to take herself into a care home, she spent not even a week their when she decided that she wanted to end her life. She did so by refusing food, she had all medical checks before she was allowed to do so and then she had started to starve herself, unfortunately she had a rough road ahead of her, a rough 59 days ahead of her. No matter how much of a hard time this was I supported her fully in her decision and honestly is the best thing she has ever done as she is no longer suffering and I am no longer watching her suffer. She had the most beautiful funeral anyone cold ever ask for and it was more of a celebration of life. I am now coming on 18 years old and couldn't be anymore happier with my life. I am currently under going tests for HD and hoping for the best outcome.
Lucy.T.Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-18, 01:32 PM   #2
charliegirl
Approved Member

Default Re: our story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy.T.Morris View Post
Hi, I want to tell you all about my journey and how I am all too known to the words "Huntington's disease".
I was 8 years old when my mother told me what was causing her dreadful twitches and memory loss, but of coarse it meant nothing to me as I was too young to even understand. As I grew older I learnt more and more what this horrid thing was, I learnt that it grew in my family and stole my nan and 2 of my mums sisters from my family.
I was 12 years old when my parents split but my dad was always around and very supportive for me and my mum, as I'm growing older my mum always told me she wanted to travel to Switzerland for dignitas when the time was right but she never had the money. My mum was so very unhappy and her life was miserable as she was getting worse and worse. I was 16 years old when little did I know that I was having my last Christmas with my mum, it was an awful day as she was just crying out in pain all day. My mum was a very independent person and would never let me or anyone help with anything, and that's why she done what she done. On the 17th of March 2014 she decided to take herself into a care home, she spent not even a week their when she decided that she wanted to end her life. She did so by refusing food, she had all medical checks before she was allowed to do so and then she had started to starve herself, unfortunately she had a rough road ahead of her, a rough 59 days ahead of her. No matter how much of a hard time this was I supported her fully in her decision and honestly is the best thing she has ever done as she is no longer suffering and I am no longer watching her suffer. She had the most beautiful funeral anyone cold ever ask for and it was more of a celebration of life. I am now
coming on 18 years old and couldn't be anymore happier with my life. I am currently under going tests for HD and hoping for the best outcome.
Wow - I cried reading your post . My heart goes out to you and your family.
I have the HD gene and I have 3 daughters, I hope that you havenít inherited the gene and I also see that you have great inner strength, Lv Charlie girl 🐶
Old 14-10-18, 07:38 PM   #3
Zlmd2017
Approved Member

Default Re: our story

Hello Charlie I'm really sad to hear your story like so.many others on here it's heart breaking to read how HD destroys families like yours like my own. But your a brave girl and your mum im sure In spirit as In life will be so proud of you i just ask you to maybe think about getting tested it's a really hard descision to make i know but your so young and as you say your life is happy it's pretty hard to live with as much as you think you can unless you have symptoms why do it whatever your descision I send you lots of love strengh and a big virtual hugxxx
Zlmd2017 is offline   Reply With Quote