Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntingtonís disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 04-02-18, 10:05 PM   #1
Hoping81
Approved Member

Default Call the midwife TV

Did anyone watch this weeks call the midwife big story line about huntingtons?
Hoping81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 10:19 PM   #2
LECS
Approved Member

Default Re: Call the midwife TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping81 View Post
I did, not knowing that HD would be portrayed, I love the programme and always watch it but I found this episode distressing because I found it so realistic, the actress with HD looked at her children as my mum looked at me when I was a child and an adult and Iím sad because that must be how my children see me. I have to tell myself to show emotion and I often shrink from physical contact. I am shocked that they covered it without any signposting of support at the end of the programme for those that wanted or needed it. I shouted at the TV what a ******* of a disease it is and then shed a tear and thought of my mum. Lecs.
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 11:12 PM   #3
Melody
Approved Member

Lecs. I saw this and was moved by it but this is how is was in th 60s. Terrible,wrong but they knew no better. Thank God times have changed .

I haven't been around for a while but I do look in
Hope you are ok Lily.

Take care
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 11:34 PM   #4
Annie
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping81 View Post
My daughter and I are in tears, I found it really distressing- my husband was removed from the family home in distressing circumstances, and my kids face the same. We are Call the Midwife addicts but had no idea HD was on tonight. My daughter did reflect that I always wanted publicity for HD but this was tough.Everyone portrayed was kind but it still left me hurting.
Nothing on main HDA website or FB - nothing on BBC to offer support
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 10:16 AM   #5
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
My daughter and I are in tears, I found it really distressing- my husband was removed from the family home in distressing circumstances, and my kids face the same. We are Call the Midwife addicts but had no idea HD was on tonight. My daughter did reflect that I always wanted publicity for HD but this was tough.Everyone portrayed was kind but it still left me hurting.
Nothing on main HDA website or FB - nothing on BBC to offer support
Sadly the HDA are not exactly good in coming forward to tip off the community. That said, an SHDA did mention something in FB I believe and then word got round a few days ago.

On Twitter the BBC did, at least, put out the tweet below straight after the show. I suppose they cover so many different challenging subjects that they cant put helpline type features after the show itself on telly.

Link to BBC Tweet HERE

When doing a search on HD and Call the Midwife after I saw a ref on FB I pulled up the article below. I don't get into here as much these days so apologise for not noticing there had not been anything from anyone else prior to Sunday.

Article HERE

One last thing...

Just seafhed under Lunt and Huntington's and came across something put out in Radio Times online last night from the looks of it

See HERE

Last edited by Trish; 05-02-18 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added another Link
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 05:34 PM   #6
jacqueline
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Sadly the HDA are not exactly good in coming forward to tip off the community. That said, an SHDA did mention something in FB I believe and then word got round a few days ago.

On Twitter the BBC did, at least, put out the tweet below straight after the show. I suppose they cover so many different challenging subjects that they cant put helpline type features after the show itself on telly.

Link to BBC Tweet HERE

When doing a search on HD and Call the Midwife after I saw a ref on FB I pulled up the article below. I don't get into here as much these days so apologise for not noticing there had not been anything from anyone else prior to Sunday.

Article HERE

One last thing...

Just seafhed under Lunt and Huntington's and came across something put out in Radio Times online last night from the looks of it

See HERE
You are so right Trish about the HDA not being forthcoming in announcing to the community about forthcoming attractions and it is so wrong.
After all surely that is what raising awareness is all about.
jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote