Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis

Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis Forum for medical issues, and for the recently diagnosed (and families)

Old 21-09-17, 06:33 PM   #1
kateyliz
Approved Member

Default Driving assessment

Hi all
We had our annual appointment today and the consultant recommended a driving assessment.
Has anyone any experience with these? Will the license be suspended before the assessment. I'm calling dvla tomorrow but just wondering what others have experienced
Thanks
kateyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 12:58 PM   #2
jacqueline
Approved Member

Default Re: Driving assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyliz View Post
Hi all
We had our annual appointment today and the consultant recommended a driving assessment.
Has anyone any experience with these? Will the license be suspended before the assessment. I'm calling dvla tomorrow but just wondering what others have experienced
Thanks
I haven't personally but some have and I am sure will be along soon xx
jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 07:43 PM   #3
elessi
Approved Member

hubby had his first assessment this year, he now has a 1 year licence. you keep your licence untill your test, if you fail they take it away, if you pass you may get a license for up to 5 years depending on symptons. its not as strict as an ordinary test
elessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 11:36 PM   #4
Cupcake
Approved Member

My hubby had his annual review with consultant for many years and it was changed to an annual licence, finally it was decided he should have a test to assess as I was concerned about his driving, special awarensss etc. When it came to it, hubby decided he could not do the test, he was worried about it and decided to give his licence up. My understanding is you can continue to drive until they say otherwise.
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 02:54 PM   #5
Sharon
Approved Member

After notifying the DVLA when my husband was symptomatic, he received a letter with an appointment for a driving assessment. This is NOT a driving test. First of all, a verbal test was given which assessed his ability to understand and communicate, etc. The questions are not driving related. Then a practical driving assessment took place where my husband went out with an assessor. On return, feedback was provided and the result of the assessment given which included the recommendation that would be given to the DVLA.

In our case, my husband had made a number of mistakes (which did not surprise me) and the recommendation was that he should cease to drive. He could actually carry on until the DVLA revoked his licence but I was able to persuade him that he shouldn't.

This is now 2 years ago and he still complains about the assessment and reckons there are worse drivers than him!

They were very good at the assessment centre and took time to explain things to me so that I could repeat them to hubby as necessary.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 01:02 PM   #6
kateyliz
Approved Member

Thanks all for your help
kateyliz is offline   Reply With Quote