Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > New Members

New Members Introduce yourself, and get to know how the HDA Message Board works

Old 02-10-17, 12:26 PM   #1
Mrsmcgee

Default Cab Count

Hello all I'm Ashleigh. My man passed away with hd at the age of 40. After suffering for 14 years. I've been tested and do have the gene myself. I'm just wondering weather a higher cag count means an earlier age of oneset. Thanks.
Mrsmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 04:15 PM   #2
Gabby
Approved Member

Default Re: Cab Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsmcgee View Post
Hello all I'm Ashleigh. My man passed away with hd at the age of 40. After suffering for 14 years. I've been tested and do have the gene myself. I'm just wondering weather a higher cag count means an earlier age of oneset. Thanks.
Hi Ashleigh so sorry about your mum and also your positive status. it is believed a higher count means an earlier onset but its not exact and there is such a range difference within the CAG of when onset occurs .Do you see a neurologist maybe speak to them . Are you concerned you may have symptoms are your nearing your mums age of Onset ?.

Gabby
x
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 12:41 AM   #3
Allan
Approved Member

Hi Ashleigh

Have a look at this. I didn't mean the response to be so long, just got carried away ...

http://hdmessageboard.com/showthread.php?p=65479#post65479

Old 13-10-17, 08:50 AM   #4
jacqueline
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi Mrs,
Welcome to the message board.

So sorry you have lost your mum at such an early age.
Nothing in HD seems too have a rule of thumb in any way.
High CAGs can sometimes mean early onset but honestly MrsMcGee nothing is normal in HD.
In my ex hubbys family HD is rife at different ages and nobody is the same.
jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-17, 10:56 PM   #5
Cupcake
Approved Member

Just wanted to welcome you to the site, so sorry you have tested positive and you lost your mum to HD.

Allanís link is very good advice. HD is so different in everyone. My hubby died aged 54yrs, my two sons are in their mid late twenties and both untested as yet. We take each day at a time and try and live every day to its full.

I am sure you will get plenty of support on here and makes some new friends to go forward with, and the support from people who understand your situation.

Take care xxxxx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #6
melissa21
Approved Member

Hi Ashleigh,

Sorry to hear you have tested positive!!

That is correct that a higher CAG usually means an earlier onset.

My Dad had a CAG of 46 and he got diagnosed when he was 35 years old.

I have tested positive myself and i have got a high CAG of 51 and my symptoms started when i was 21 years old.

So that pattern has definitely been in my family.

Stay strong

Melissa

Quote:
melissa21 is offline   Reply With Quote