Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 07-02-10, 05:32 PM   #1
arsenal61
Approved Member

Default tongue biting

hi, my hubby keeps biting his tongue when eating, its nearly everyday now, does anyone here have any tips on this? is this common in hd? im a bit worried as once he has biten his tongue he cant or wont eat the rest of his meal, im trying to keep his weight up, and this isnt helping, any advice would be most welcome, thanks carol.
arsenal61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 07:13 PM   #2
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson
Default Re: tongue biting

Hi hun,

Have you thought about chaning the types of meals you have? Cutting things up for him? Getting more calories into him through maybe eating a few extra deserts?

Tc, Matt.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 08:37 PM   #3
Stardust
Approved Member

Hi, you can also get high calorie drinks on prescription you can get either milkshake ones or fruit juice ones, the GP prescribes them for my dad, hope this may help with the calorie intake xx
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 10:04 PM   #4
DH
Approved Member

Message from Trish:

Hi Ru,

Been there with Hubs and I know how distressing it can be for both your Hubby and you. I believe it's quite common in HDps. The tongue is probably starting to do its own thing and it's no wonder your Hubs is wanting to give up eating when it happens.

As others have said high calorific/protein drinks and deserts will help and adapting the food on the plate to be smaller - bite size pieces - is a good way forward.

That said... if your Hubs is anything like mine (and you are anything like I was in thinking the male of the house should have the trad meat and 2 veg on his plate) it's a hard shift in mindset to move from serving meals to what may look like a kids plate of food.

Deserts are a great way of loading calories but they tend to be served at the end of a meal and by that stage I'm guessing your Hubs has already had his confidence shattered so may not want to take most his calories that way. On that basis... have you thought of introducing soups as a starter? By the time he gets to his main he may be quite full anyway but at least he will be taking on board valuable nutrition.

Tins and packet soups are great but I was surprised to finding how quick and easy making my own soups could be. Soup is freezable as well so making up a batch is not only cost effective but quick and easy to rustle up in a hurry. I've even made my own parsnip soup, left it in the pan covered, then heated it up the next night with a small tin of Heinz Veg Soup (other brands are available) chucked in and made up a tasty alternative.

Below is a basic recipe for cream of mushroom soup. I'm not the best cook in the world so if I can do it anyone can lol. And hey... there's two key HD plus points to this one.

a) Cream = double cream = calorie overload.

b) Mushroom = Trehalose as they are a natural source of Trehalose and Trehalose is thought to help HD http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-trehalose.htm

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Ingredients - All quantities approximate

1 medium onion chopped

1 tablespoon Olive Oil

1 large knob of butter (no jokes please DH)

300g - 400g mushrooms chopped. - I use bog standard closed cup but the world's your oyster (excuse the pun) when it comes to preference.

1 cup of stock. - I cheat and use vegetable stock cubes.

3 tablespoons of flour

200 ml of double cream

Salt and black pepper to taste.

Method

In a medium saucepan heat the oil and butter then saute the onions for aprox 5 mins stirring occasionally.

Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 mins stirring occasionally.

Add the flour a little at a time to thicken the mixture. Depending on how your onions/mushrooms have broken down you may want to add more/less flour. Stir continuously.

Add the stock a little at a time. As with the flour stir continuously and alter the quantity to get the right consistency taking into account blending and adding cream (the next stage) will thin the consistency so don't make it too runny. Simmer for 10 mins.

Blend the contents adding the cream and serve.

Voila!

Hope this helps

Tx
Old 13-02-10, 11:55 AM   #5
arsenal61
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
Message from Trish:

Hi Ru,

Been there with Hubs and I know how distressing it can be for both your Hubby and you. I believe it's quite common in HDps. The tongue is probably starting to do its own thing and it's no wonder your Hubs is wanting to give up eating when it happens.

As others have said high calorific/protein drinks and deserts will help and adapting the food on the plate to be smaller - bite size pieces - is a good way forward.

That said... if your Hubs is anything like mine (and you are anything like I was in thinking the male of the house should have the trad meat and 2 veg on his plate) it's a hard shift in mindset to move from serving meals to what may look like a kids plate of food.

Deserts are a great way of loading calories but they tend to be served at the end of a meal and by that stage I'm guessing your Hubs has already had his confidence shattered so may not want to take most his calories that way. On that basis... have you thought of introducing soups as a starter? By the time he gets to his main he may be quite full anyway but at least he will be taking on board valuable nutrition.

Tins and packet soups are great but I was surprised to finding how quick and easy making my own soups could be. Soup is freezable as well so making up a batch is not only cost effective but quick and easy to rustle up in a hurry. I've even made my own parsnip soup, left it in the pan covered, then heated it up the next night with a small tin of Heinz Veg Soup (other brands are available) chucked in and made up a tasty alternative.

Below is a basic recipe for cream of mushroom soup. I'm not the best cook in the world so if I can do it anyone can lol. And hey... there's two key HD plus points to this one.

a) Cream = double cream = calorie overload.

b) Mushroom = Trehalose as they are a natural source of Trehalose and Trehalose is thought to help HD http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-trehalose.htm

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Ingredients - All quantities approximate

1 medium onion chopped

1 tablespoon Olive Oil

1 large knob of butter (no jokes please DH)

300g - 400g mushrooms chopped. - I use bog standard closed cup but the world's your oyster (excuse the pun) when it comes to preference.

1 cup of stock. - I cheat and use vegetable stock cubes.

3 tablespoons of flour

200 ml of double cream

Salt and black pepper to taste.

Method

In a medium saucepan heat the oil and butter then saute the onions for aprox 5 mins stirring occasionally.

Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 mins stirring occasionally.

Add the flour a little at a time to thicken the mixture. Depending on how your onions/mushrooms have broken down you may want to add more/less flour. Stir continuously.

Add the stock a little at a time. As with the flour stir continuously and alter the quantity to get the right consistency taking into account blending and adding cream (the next stage) will thin the consistency so don't make it too runny. Simmer for 10 mins.

Blend the contents adding the cream and serve.

Voila!

Hope this helps

Tx
Thanks for the advice, it does help when you know someone knows exactly how you feel and what you mean! hmmm does that make sense? thank you also for the recipe, as my hubby is dutch he loves soup as it is usually something that is eaten in holland most days, also do you think it might be worth seeing the speech therapist? im not sure there is much point, but would like your oppinion trish.x
Old 13-02-10, 07:44 PM   #6
DH
Approved Member

Hi Ru,

Glad you found the post helpful !

I would most certainly recommend you both start going down the Speech and Language Therapy (SLT) route. I say 'both' as like me and Hubs you guys are in this together and I learnt a lot from the SLT sessions. Not just what was going on with the mouth and swallowing but what is out there for communication aids. If you are not already seeing a Dietician Then it's worth covering both and an SLT will probably help the referral process. Also... If the SLT picks up something which looks more like a dental issue (he may be subconsciously pushing the food to one side of his mouth more than the other due to a tooth or gum issue and catching the tongue in the process) the SLT will add weight to getting more suitable dental help. I dunno about your Hubby but I have several pages of a blog on the dental saga lol.

There's another side to getting onto the multidisciplinary books sooner rather than later. I'm talking Dietician; SLT; Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy here. As carers to those very close to us we are in danger of missing the subtle changes or, worse than that, spotting them and having others telling us we are being silly and nothing is wrong. Our own confidence can be shattered when all we need is a little reassurance or guidance from professionals.

To that end...Where the different disciplines have to make thorough checks and keep records I found it useful having a second opinion and copies of their reports/assessments. There's one thing me thinking Hub's weight has dropped when he can't balance on home scales to take a reading. it's quite another a dietician using professional scales (we need a hoist now btw) and charting progress. The SLT also arranges Videoflouroscopy for Hubby where they actually X-Ray the swallowing process to see if food is starting to get into his lungs (aspiration - which leads to chest infections -sadly it's started now so I am rethinking the diet again).

So to answer your question... if in doubt err on the side of caution and push for as many referrals as possible. If your Hubby thinks it's too soon or you are going over the top then do what I did... Tell him with the state of our Health Service the chances are it will take months before we get seen anyway and we can always cancel if the problem has gone by the time we get there hehehe (bless....)

Tx
Old 13-02-10, 08:14 PM   #7
Brian2001
Approved Member

Location: I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member...
Send a message via MSN to Brian2001

good info Trish, I agree with all of the above.

Hope things improve Ru.

Brian.
Old 14-02-10, 01:58 PM   #8
arsenal61
Approved Member

I guess i will have to learn to put things in a different way then, coz he aint having none of it ! what you saidtrish makes perfect sense, i hate having to be so different with hubby, its like being dishonest in a way but not if you know what i mean , like talking a child into something! oh how i hate hd!!! hmmm maybe i got out the wrong side of bed today, sorry, it just seems everything is creeping up on me, this ocd thing is slowly driving me bonkers too, what a moaner eh, once again thanks for the advice and sorry for whinging .x
Old 14-02-10, 03:55 PM   #9
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Sadly he will only become more childlike as the years go on
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-10, 04:22 PM   #10
DH
Approved Member

Message from the Dainty One:

Hi Ru,

You are not whinging hunny! Sounds like you have a whole heap of sh#te to deal with right now and I so know how the OCD side can be draining. My mail address is on my JustGiving Page http://www.justgiving.com/Trish-Dainton/

Feel free to contact me if you fancy a chat or copy of the blog which covers some of our appointments (including the frustrations on bookings etc) and Hubby's own OCD side of it.

Tx