Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis

Notices

Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis Forum for medical issues, and for the recently diagnosed (and families)

Old 15-06-09, 06:31 PM   #1
colettew
Approved Member

Default AntiPsychotics and HD

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of this. My husband has been on Mirtazapine for some time and for some reason his mood became low again after being ok for sometime. He has now been prescribed antipsychotics. Reading the side effects have worried me and I am not sure it is necessary at this point. They seem to help with anger issues and his issues are more lack of motivation. I thought trying an alternative antidepressent would be a better idea as Antipsychotics seem to be a last resort. Although this is all new to me so only going on what i have read. Has anyone had any experience of them or any thoughts of alternative meds?

Many thanks in advance
colettew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-09, 10:02 PM   #2
frankie
Approved Member

Default Re: AntiPsychotics and HD

Hi Colette

I haven't had any experience with anti psychotics but reading about
Mirtazapine it is usually given with another anti depressant. It shouldn't be just stopped abruptly either, maybe another visit to the doctor if you are concerned.

Hddrugworks is a very helpful page for drug information.

http://hddrugworks.org/index.php?opt...=164&Itemid=67

Mirtazepine (Remeron®) increases serotonin and norepinephrine levels by a different mechanism than SSRI and other drugs. It is often helpful in severe depression, and is often used in addition to other antidepressants. It is very helpful for anxiety and is used to treat obsessive-compulsive and panic disorders. Dosages start at 7.5 mg. This dose usually caused sleepiness and should be taken at night. Often with larger doses there is less sedation. Side effects include increased appetite, weight gain, high blood pressure and vivid dreams.
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote