Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntington’s disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 13-03-10, 06:48 PM   #1
jules
Approved Member

Default Children...When to tell...

I am sure this topic has been done time and time over.

But what I am asking is when/how did you decide to tell teenagers.

My grandaughter is nearly 13, just blooming into a beautiful young woman, she had her first valentine card this year, has found the art of eye liner and mascara, and still does not realise how very lovely she is. She is an innocent.

I was watching her today, and thought when do you burdon their young shoulders?
When do you take away that certainty she has, that life is good, when her greatest worry at the moment is if her side fringe is looking ok.

Her mum (my daughter)and I are as yet untested, but the more I think of this horrible predicament and everyone it is affecting the more I am coming to think that for the childrens sakes we need to know.
jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 08:05 PM   #2
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson
Default Re: Children...When to tell...

There's no right time to tell them. It depends completely on the situation. For instance if your daughter was symptomatic... now would be the time to tell her daughter, she'd need to understand as much as she could at that age in order to realise what was happening to her parent.

In your case though you're untested and your daughter is untested. So your grandaughter has 2 generations above her still 50/50 and her risk is less. The answer for you is now is not the right time, if you develop symptoms though... that may be a good time to sit your grandaughter down and explain a thing or two.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 09:00 PM   #3
kayleigh
Approved Member

hhiya!:) I ccann underrstandd werre youu aare comingg fromm heree buut i tthinkk thhat itss up to thee peoplee wenn youu decidee too telll youuur chhildren mmyy litttlee girll is nearlyy 3 nnow annd *** soonn *** shess oldd enoghh we willl sitt herr downn andd givvee herr thhe talk:)
kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 09:28 PM   #4
daydreamin
Approved Member

if ur not ill and her parents not ill then why tell her any thing ,my dad hd my uncle died of hd im at risk and my kids understand half of it if im poss then will have to tell them untill them i want them to have there child hood they know hd in fam but not what that realy means i want then to be inocent for as long as poss x
daydreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 09:38 PM   #5
daydreamin
Approved Member

my kids only 13 . 10 and 5 , they dont need to know tomuch till they have to , but they know grandad has hd and this is very sad ,and that i could get it my eldest has picked up on more he is 14 in may and knows what hd is x i feel if you tell them the basits then if they ask questions then there old enough for an answer
daydreamin is offline   Reply With Quote