Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 11-05-11, 06:28 AM   #1
telibeli
Approved Member

Default Carer's Assessment

I am sharing this as I think it's great and am well chuffed.

I had a Carer's Assessment that was arranged through one of the TAC meetings. Initially I assumed it was a paper exercise as so often these things can be just that. It took 5 months to happen as there are so many carers out there. Anyway, this woman came, Sue, lovely lady, completely down to earth and we went through the forms. She then let me in on a little secret. Apparently the Government make a one off payment of around £200 to carers. The only thing is you need to spend it on yourself, you can't buy drugs, alcohol or firearms, you need to highlight what it would be spent on and keep the receipts. Barring all the above I was hard pushed to think of what I would spend my money on. Eventually, I decided driving lessons. I still can't drive. And it would be so blimming useful. As this was the course I wished to take she then told me there is another fund called EELS. Now, this stands for something but cannot remember what but really, who cares? The result is that after another 5 months I finally got accepted by the EELS team and have been awarded 5 lessons they pay for, the other £200 will pay for more and if I'm as smart as I think I am, maybe even help towards the test.

I had a celebratory drinky last night. I think it was well worth one.

So please, if you are offered an assessment, don't put it off for another day, DO IT! It's not huge amounts but it's for you alone. How often does anyone get anything that is just for them? And let's face it, the amount you get in a CA, it's the very least the government should do.

Another piece of good news, from the same assessment. I have been running a support group for a while now and we might be awarded £300 pound to do with what we want. All in all, a very useful hour was spent five months ago.
Old 11-05-11, 09:01 AM   #2
jaq
Approved Member

Default Re: Carer's Assessment

That is brilliant .

I have not heard of EELS do you have anymore info.

I got a grant from the local authority which I put towards the bike ride but driving lessons woulld have maybe been a better idea as it would be really useful.

I should get my act together and look into it a bit further .
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 11:53 AM   #3
telibeli
Approved Member

Thanx J. And Jac, I'm so pleased for you. Whilst driving would be good it would never surpass the experience you had doing the London-Paris ride. I personally believe you made the right choice. EELS is something to do with ??Leisure and Social ???? Aren't you lucky you asked?? Speak to the person who did the assessment with you. It's a little bonus they assess you for depending on how you spend the other money. I think, because it's probably unrealistic to think you might pass your test after only a few lessons. But I would need to look into it for you. I will speaking to the lady again later so I will ask for you. Also, it might be some thing that is only in this county. I shouldn't think it is but you never know, or it might be called some thing else. I will let you know later.

J, a TAC is a meeting, multi disciplinary, that we have because of my sister's children. It's stands for Team Around the Child. We started one the instant Sister was diagnosed. The initially process, for anyone who might need this, started with a meeting with a Parent Support Advisor. I then made contact with the school nurse and she really got the ball rolling. That part is CAF, can't remember what that means but will let you know later. Anyway, as we have so many people now involved in some way with Sister's care it's an opportunity to bring us all together and share and discuss the way forward. I know this wont be available to all because firstly, and most importantly, there need to be children of school age. One of Sister's children, the boy, is also autistic so there are over services there for him, her daughter is involved with Action for Young Carer's, who are INCREDIBLE, and they attend. The school nurse heads the team. We have social workers, OT's, neuro's, both schools, the other day we had the woman from the National Association of childminders, the woman who heads Family Action in this area attended. Sometimes it can feel like lip service and it's just a paper exercise but the last few meetings have been brilliant. Sadly, on the down side, there has been a marked deterioration in Sister's condition but as we have this forum it's been picked up straight away and other things are coming into play. Always need a catastrophe to get things moving but thankfully we already had the services involved. If there is anyone in a similar situation reading this, please speak to the school and see if you too can get one started.

Like I said, some meetings are just out of necessity and are a paper exercise but when you do hit crisis point you're already on the records and things tend to happen a little more timely. That's the idea any ways. My main concern with diagnosis was that we would have no back up when needed. It's taken a long time to get these services involved and I think we all feel so much more confident now.
Old 11-05-11, 11:57 AM   #4
telibeli
Approved Member

A little PS to J, While I'm sure it would be great driving to the AGM one day I think I'd probably make a priority of visiting everyone here for a hug. (So long as there is a glass of the end to calm my shaky nerves.)
Old 11-05-11, 07:38 PM   #5
Scarlett D.
Approved Member

That's great news for you Teri!!!
Scarlett D. is offline   Reply With Quote