Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 28-05-11, 04:54 PM   #1
Leah
Approved Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Leah
Default Declaring HD on your driving license

Hello,

Just after abit of advice. I am HD+ but presymptomatic and just wondered if I had to declare this on my driving license? Or do I wait until I am having symptoms and then see my Gp and tell the DVLA from there?

I'm sorry if this iss an obvious question but I've not really got anybody else to ask.
Old 28-05-11, 09:19 PM   #2
PJ
Approved Member

Send a message via MSN to PJ
Default Re: Declaring HD on your driving license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Hello,

Just after abit of advice. I am HD+ but presymptomatic and just wondered if I had to declare this on my driving license? Or do I wait until I am having symptoms and then see my Gp and tell the DVLA from there?

I'm sorry if this iss an obvious question but I've not really got anybody else to ask.
You only have to inform DVLA when you are symptomatic!!
They do not need to know about a positive result so even if you were renewing your licence for any reason you do not have to tell them as long as you are not symptomatic!!
PJ x
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-11, 05:42 AM   #3
DH
Approved Member

Leah, at the moment you don't have the disease. You have the potential to develop it at a later date, so if someone asks "do you have HD" the correct and honest answer is a simple "no"
Old 30-05-11, 06:08 PM   #4
PJ
Approved Member

Send a message via MSN to PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
Hiya PJ,
I know of the specific question regarding a positive HD genetic test because when I put in for my dads new licence it was there "Have you had a positive test for HD". I couldnt beleive it and I have answered about this a long time ago on the message board.
It wasnt "tested for a neurological disease". It was HD specifically named.
That was only for a renewal. I have also filled in another one for someone else and the question was there too.
If you have already got a licence then like you say it is only when someone becomes symptomatic that it needs to be declared.
J,
When G renewed his licence there was no question asking if you have had a positive test for HD????? This was before he was tested!
When we informed DVLA of his condition the renewal form asked if he had a neurological disease such as MS, HD, MND or Parkinsons.
As I have just completed a renewal form for G I can definately state that there was no question asking about a positive test for HD!!
Maybe the forms have changed?
Have had so many run-ins with DVLA I know the forms off by heart!!!
PJ x
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-11, 06:49 PM   #5
Trish
Approved Member

When I did a google on Driving License and Huntington's disease it came straight to the directgov site

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...lA-Z/DG_185627

The PDF Form links to the page for a Questionnaire CN1

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_073745.pdf

Copying direct from the form there is a section which has tick boxes. Roughly copied and pasted in here:

1. Please tick the appropriate box(es) if you have suffered from any of the following conditions:
Yes No DD MM YY
a) Multiple Sclerosis Date of diagnosis
b) Have you had a relapse or relapses? Date of relapse
Date of relapse
Date of relapse
2. a) Motor Neurone Disease Date of diagnosis
b) Huntington’s Disease Date of diagnosis
c) Other condition Please give details
3. Please give the date of last and next appointments with your doctor or Consultant:
Doctor Consultant
Date of last appointment
Date of next appointment
4. Please give the name and dosage (the amount you take) of all current medication taken by you
Name of

No mention of a 'positive test' needing to be declared but this does suggest you need to declare if symptomatic under the wording 'have suffered from
Old 30-05-11, 11:35 PM   #6
Leah
Approved Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Leah

Thank you so much everyone, nothing is ever simple I guess and forms do change as do the way people word questions.

Its a resounding no for me then in that box. Thank you all for all of your help and info.

Leah xx