Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 26-04-11, 09:35 AM   #1
v10nay
Approved Member

Default Medical exemption Certificate / Card

I have recently obtained a Medical Exemption Certificate for my wife who has HD. The form is FP29A - should be able to get at the Doctor's Surgery . The last box is the one you want to tick . They will then send it of for you and hopefully you shoud get a card/certificate that exempts the HD sufferer from paying prescription charges for 5 years when you have to renew it .

Hope this helps someone.

Vinay
v10nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-11, 09:48 AM   #2
Trish
Approved Member

Default Re: Medical exemption Certificate / Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10nay View Post
I have recently obtained a Medical Exemption Certificate for my wife who has HD. The form is FP29A - should be able to get at the Doctor's Surgery . The last box is the one you want to tick . They will then send it of for you and hopefully you should get a card/certificate that exempts the HD sufferer from paying prescription charges for 5 years when you have to renew it .

Hope this helps someone.

Vinay
Hi Vinay

Thanks for flagging that up. It took me a long time to find that out for myself eventually (I've done a poem about it which I have posted up on the next post.) The Form is actually called FP92A - A Link is below:

Well done again for highlighting this!

http://www.silverdalemedicalcentre.n...0exemption.pdf
Old 26-04-11, 09:54 AM   #3
Trish
Approved Member

I put this poem under the Section 'Low Society' as it upset me those I made enquiries to treated me and Hubs like we were trying to get something for nothing, making us feel like spongers, when I knew a mate of mine with diabetes (£earning around £500 a day as a consultant) was able to get ALL his meds for free (even an asprin) where his illness was classed as 'Exempt!

Introduction

As time went by my husband needed more and more prescribed drugs, creams, protein drinks etc. We were not on income based benefits and, living in England*, we were told we had to pay for everything. The costs were escalating and although I bought pre-paid certificates it was another cruel expense for something that was no fault of ours.

I was aware some conditions merited instant waiving of charges and I considered it was unfair HD did not automatically come into the frame upon diagnosis, or at least when drugs and prescribed nutritional drinks were needed. I started making enquiries but was told at every turning HD was “Not on the list of exempt conditions”.

After more investigations, and finally getting sight of the so called ‘List of exemptions’ when discussing the matter with the Department of Health, I found that my husband should not have been paying for his prescription for several years once he had deteriorated and become at risk of danger when leaving the house unaccompanied.

It was true that HD itself was not listed. However, what no GP or anyone else had done was to look beyond the names of illnesses and read the last qualification which states ‘A continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person.’ If they had seen it, then all I can say is it was never asked of me if that would apply. The question was given on Form FP92A. In the circumstances, the NHS refunded the costs of my Pre-Paid Certificates but it was another battle I could have done without. HD is unjust enough as it is...

Perhaps we should move to Wales my love,
I think it could be wise,
We can’t afford these spiralling costs,
And a different law there applies.

The man next door is able to work,
But he gets his meds for free;
It’s sad he’s diabetic my love,
But he’s not like you and me.

We’re stuck in this rut, and cannot work,
And we know life won’t get any better,
But we’re told again that your illness don’t count,
According to this doctor’s letter.

It CAN’T be right; I’m taking it further,
And finally we’re getting somewhere,
A clause in the Form was missed my love,
As nobody spotted it there!

*UK Prescription charges as at 5th April 2011

England: £7.40 per item
Wales: No charge
Scotland: No charge
Northern Ireland: No charge
Old 26-04-11, 10:42 AM   #4
battersea
Approved Member

Thanks so much for this info, I wasn't aware we could get the meds free,
Sarah
battersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-11, 11:31 AM   #5
DH
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Form FP92A.
That is very, very useful. I think this should be highlighted by the HDA because like you say, the charges are exorbitant, unfair and unjust. How many people are paying shedloads because they don't know about little stupid forms like this?
Old 26-04-11, 11:48 AM   #6
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
That is very, very useful. I think this should be highlighted by the HDA because like you say, the charges are exorbitant, unfair and unjust. How many people are paying shedloads because they don't know about little stupid forms like this?
I contacted Cath a while back about this, and have posted previously on the Board. In the meantime other countries have waived prescription charges anyway except for England so it's more a case of us Engerlanders kicking up a stink at the moment. I'd love to know if the APPG have an agenda of topics to debate?

Anyhoo...

HDA took on Board my comments previously and mention of the Form was included in the new Carer's Guide. See link below. A must for all Carers.

http://www.hda.org.uk/download/fact-...arer-Guide.pdf
Old 26-04-11, 12:07 PM   #7
v10nay
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Hi Vinay

Thanks for flagging that up. It took me a long time to find that out for myself eventually (I've done a poem about it which I have posted up on the next post.) The Form is actually called FP92A - A Link is below:

Well done again for highlighting this!

http://www.silverdalemedicalcentre.n...0exemption.pdf
You are quite right - I misspelled the form name .
v10nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 03:42 AM   #8
Big Stew
Approved Member

Thanx for the tread, just handed the form back in at Amanda's Docs
Big Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 06:13 AM   #9
telibeli
Approved Member

I really don't get on here enough and it's such a shame. Anyway, thank you so much for bringing this up. More useful information. I have my own useful info and am going to share it on a new thread.