Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > New Members

New Members Introduce yourself, and get to know how the HDA Message Board works

Old 10-09-18, 03:44 PM   #1
angeldust
Approved Member

Default Hello...

I don't really know where to start but I feel you already know most of what I'm feeling, so I'll go with the facts first.

My partner has had HD symptoms for 5 years now but was refusing to admit it or do anything about it and saying things like "It's just nerves" or "stress".

His mother and brothers had HD, so there's not much need for testing. Knowing there's no cure doesn't help either.

He recently took a turn for the worse and sunk into depression.

Two weeks ago, after a very scary couple of days when he decided he would go ahead and end it all..., I have finally broken through the barrier - we visited a psychiatrist and a neurologist, and are actively making changes and improvements + reading anything we can get our hands on + trying to tackle all his difficulties by introducing new routines, mugs with lids, etc. + researching and taking supplements that may help. No groups or counseling available where we live which basically means we're on our own.

So... here I am, overwhelmed by it all but trying to keep a positive attitude.

Greetings everyone!
angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 09:15 AM   #2
banda
Approved Member

Default Re: Hello...

An amazing turn around...grasp the metal and make as much progress as you can ..it's hard but at least there seems to be many positive outcomes for you both. xx
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 06:43 PM   #3
angeldust
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
An amazing turn around...grasp the metal and make as much progress as you can ..it's hard but at least there seems to be many positive outcomes for you both. xx
Thank you! I'm wondering where the line is, though. Is there a point where I might be trying too much too soon and make things worse for him in the end?

He used to be active, independent, highly intelligent. Now, neither his body or his mind are listening to him but I feel like I need to continue to push him to push himself both physically and mentally and not become too focused on his illness.

On the other hand, I'm afraid of causing another meltdown by not paying enough attention to his needs.

I would love to hear any advice you have to offer...
angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-18, 08:46 AM   #4
banda
Approved Member

My hubby was once a bright capable soul too...I find that I am able to suggest he does one thing or another and he will mostly do it but then there are times when he will say I don't think I can do that anymore...sometimes I just do it or we will do something together... Sadly in the end he wont be able to do most things anyway. My hubby also resists any changes or helpful gadgets or anything until the very last moment but as soon as he realises the need he will use whatever straightaway...he sort of self governs but also I suggest different things and leave it with him. It sometimes take a while for him to internalise different things.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 06:34 AM   #5
Gabby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldust View Post
I don't really know where to start but I feel you already know most of what I'm feeling, so I'll go with the facts first.

My partner has had HD symptoms for 5 years now but was refusing to admit it or do anything about it and saying things like "It's just nerves" or "stress".

His mother and brothers had HD, so there's not much need for testing. Knowing there's no cure doesn't help either.

He recently took a turn for the worse and sunk into depression.

Two weeks ago, after a very scary couple of days when he decided he would go ahead and end it all..., I have finally broken through the barrier - we visited a psychiatrist and a neurologist, and are actively making changes and improvements + reading anything we can get our hands on + trying to tackl

all his difficulties by introducing new routines, mugs with lids, etc. + researching and taking supplements that may help. No groups or counseling available where we live which basically means we're on our own.

So... here I am, overwhelmed by it all but trying to keep a positive attitude.

Greetings everyone!

Hi Angel dust all very over whelming you dont say whereabouts you are just that no support in your area ? Maybe other people around you could join up with . We had no support in our area so i started a support group and i know have others i suport but also support me .

Gabby
x
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote