Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntingtonís disease

Old 21-01-18, 03:28 PM   #1
jaq
Approved Member

Default Radio 4

Hi

Iíve been making a documentary with radio 4 itís due to broadcast Monday 22 jan at 11 and will also be available on the I player shortly afterwards .

With love x

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09ntd0k
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-18, 07:52 PM   #2
Gabby
Approved Member

Default Re: Radio 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaq View Post
Hi

Iíve been making a documentary with radio 4 itís due to broadcast Monday 22 jan at 11 and will also be available on the I player shortly afterwards .

With love x

Well done Jaq a very moving and informative programme you are brave and amazing . Thank you so much

Gabby
x
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-18, 08:56 PM   #3
Crystal
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi

With love x

Hi Jaq

So moving, so inspirational, you are one amazing lady.
Thank-you for sharing this with us all. I have found it quite overwhelming.

With love to you too
Crystal
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-18, 12:30 PM   #4
jacqueline
Approved Member

Hiya Jaq
you are an absolute legend and deserve an award. Yo never refuse an opportunity to raise awareness no matter what troubles you have in the background. You deserve more than a pat on the back.
I am so pleased to say the least that you are now negative for the gene.

Further to that it was followed up by Look North with Jacq on the show.
It is 17.23 minutes in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-news-22012018
jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 05:00 PM   #5
jaq
Approved Member

Thanks everyone .

I have received countless messages from friends and strangers and the programme has hopefully raised some awaress outside of people affected by hd which is what we need .

I wasnít sure if I had done the right thing having the radio with me through the process but the producer Sarah Bowen has created a compassionate and intimate programme which is filled with love .

I can now continue to care Mark and I will try my best to
Raise awareness where I can .

Sybilontour is still travelling the world and itís eare a day goes by without someone sharing a new adventures and thus sharing awaress if Huntingtonís disease .
Jaq xxx
Old 03-02-18, 03:15 PM   #6
Brian2001
Approved Member

Location: I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member...
Send a message via MSN to Brian2001

Quote:
Hi

With love x

A very moving documentary... Can I wish you a Well Done, for making it, having the courage to make it and sharing such a journey.

I am so pleased you got the result you deserved Jaq. I am soooo pleased for you.

Brian.
Old 04-02-18, 02:46 PM   #7
jaq
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2001 View Post
A very moving documentary... Can I wish you a Well Done, for making it, having the courage to make it and sharing such a journey.

I am so pleased you got the result you deserved Jaq. I am soooo pleased for you.

Brian.
Thanks xxx
Old 04-02-18, 11:34 PM   #8
Melody
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks xxx
Jaq i have followed your journey for years.

Just wanted to say I am so pleased you got a good result. Having done it with hubby and one offspring I know what it takes. To do that in the public domain is amazing.

I just want to say try to enjoy life. Of course you have Mark who you love and care for. But you have a life too.

Don't let life pass you by.

Take care x
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 04:10 PM   #9
jacqueline
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi

With love x

It would also have been good if the HDA could have also given you a pat on the back of some kind just like lots of other people have.

Jacqu you do so much to raise awareness its untrue .

I know I have my own objections about the HDA which never get any better by the year. I used to be their biggest advocate as you know.
But to not even say to you "well done Jacqueline" is outrageous.
jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 06:44 PM   #10
jaq
Approved Member

Thanks

This is some of feed back the programme had on Twitter

I have put off testing for many years and it was a very difficult period even Sadder when I told Mark my results and he was delighted that it meant we had both escaped ( unawareness in action )

The bbc news piece had 750,000 people who engaged o the piece .

I wanted to tell my family story and I hope I did that for them and they are something other than an hd statistic . My life has been profoundly affect by hd and as I watch my witty clever and charming brother lose the about to do anything my life continues as an hd life .

With #sybilontour I will continue to raise awareness and thank the friends and strangers now friends who post photos and tell people About hd

@gracedent just HOWLING on the train at The Untold on Huntingtonís this week #theuntold

If you have an opportunity listen to @BBCRadio4 #TheUntold episode from 22 January 2018: The Toss of the Coin. Deeply moving piece #Huntingtonsdisease

Beautiful, powerful listen. I've just heard @jaq421 on @BBCRadio4 #TheUntold with @gracedent going through the heartbreaking experience of living with, and being at risk of, #HuntingtonsDisease and facing the 50:50 test.

@BBCRadio4 #TheUntold this was one of the most moving episodes ever. Jackie I was willing that test to say you didnít have the Huntingtonís Disease gene and thanks for sharing your bravery in finding out

I cried.
#TheUntold

#TheUntold is some of the best radio out there. Today's episode had me in tears in the middle of Victoria Station. Great work @BBCRadio4 and @gracedent 👏

Listening to #theuntold with @gracedent on @BBCRadio4. Wow! I cried with u Jackie when you received ur good news; such a selfless lady to think of ur brother first. So powerful. Thank u for sharing your story @jaq421 #huntingtons #sybilontour

#TheUntold this week on @BBCRadio4 is on Huntingdon Disease. Very tense and emotional.

Thanks, Jackie, for sharing your story on #TheUntold.

Emotional episode. Huntingdonís is horrendous. Huge respect and big love to Jackie and family x #theuntold

@gracedent late for an appointment but sat teary in the car glued to the radio - jeez louise What an amazing episode of #TheUntold

#TheUntold @BBCRadio4 the life/death lottery of Huntingtonís Disease. Unbearably tense. Brilliant radio

@gracedent Thank you Jackie for sharing. I am in tears #Huntington's
#TheUntold

@gracedent goodness, Iíve never heard such compelling radio as todayís #TheUntold x

@gracedent Devastating and important radio today in #theuntold. Great journalism. @BBCRadio4

The Untold. ****** hell. @gracedent @BBCRadio4 #theuntold

.@gracedent oh God. Goosebumps all over. Amazing edition of #TheUntold . Blimey

Jackie has a 50-50 chance of developing Huntington's disease. @gracedent presents this touching story on #TheUntold this morning at 11AM. 💕 @BBCRadio4

Listen out for @BBCRadio4 's doc #theuntold about the terrifying and difficult decision to test for the degenerative #geneticdisorder #Huntington's . Presented by @gracedent . On at 11am tomorrow or catch it on #iPlayer. bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09Ö #genetictesting #disabilty

ďToss of the CoinĒ Incredible example of courage in the face of the unnerving choice faced by individuals at-risk for HD #Huntingtonsdisease #5050 @jaq421

It takes incredible courage to go through what you went through. Thank you for all you do to raise awareness about Huntington disease.

Heard the programme. Your bravery is incredible. Your dreadful burden has been lifted so now you are able to focus your energy into the positive things. Neurological funding seems to take a back seat at times. Bravo you!🤗

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09Ö A window into the incredible life of Jackie Harrison @jaq421 & all of the great work she's doing to raise awareness of #huntingtonsdisease #sybilontour

I was compelled to listening to your remarkable story on Mon. I was all ears untill the end. You are an amazing woman Jackie 👍 Warmest wishes Carmel x #lendingmysupport #huntingtonsdisease #50:50

A must listen podcast on @bbcradio4 The Untold @gracedent
bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09Ö Pls listen & RT & raise awareness of #huntingtonsdisease @jaq421

@jaq421 thanks so much for sharing your story. Good luck to you and your family.

This time last year I was 3/4 through writing my book about Huntington's Disease and how it's affected our family. Listening to @jaq421 on the radio this week has galvanised me into finishing it, 'cause these stories need to be told. Thanks, Jackie & @BBCRadio4

@jaq421 such a thought provoking and inspiring article. #hounds4huntingtons

Beautiful, powerful listen. I've just heard @jaq421 on @BBCRadio4 #TheUntold with @gracedent going through the heartbreaking experience of living with, and being at risk of, #HuntingtonsDisease and facing the 50:50 test.

BBC News - 'There's a 50% chance I've a fatal disease. Do I find out?' bbc.co.uk/news/stories-4Ö In this moving article, @jaq421 shares how her family has been affected by Huntington's disease & the anguish of deciding whether to be tested for the gene herself.

I highly recommend listening to The Untold: Toss of the Coin on @BBCRadio4 here: bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09Ö or on the podcast where @jaq421 talks about her life as a member of a family affected by HD and her decision to have the genetic test #HuntingtonsDisease

Have a listen to this, raw and at times painful for me to listen to, but the more exposure #HuntingtonsDisease gets, the more chance of a worldwide push for change. The wheels are already in motion. Well done @jaq421

A beautiful, honest & truthful 30 mins. With @NewnhamMark and I having gone through this same journey only a couple of years ago it took us on a real emotional rollercoaster. Thank you @jaq421 for continuing to help raise awareness for #Huntingtonsdisease

@jaq421 Thank you for your brave and inspiring radio documentary. I'd love to photograph #SybilOnTour out here in Guadeloupe where I live. How can I get hold of one?

Zojuist geluisterd naar het ontroerende verhaal van @jaq421 op bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09Ö over haar gevecht tegen Huntington. Luister ook naar haar verhaal en steun haar in de strijd tegen de ziekte #sybilontour #Awareness

..oh Miss Jackie...we are sobbing in the salt mine now...how brave you are...

bbc.com/news/stories-4Ö thanks for sharing your story @jaq421 #Huntingtonsdisease & raising #hdawareness #sybilontour #hounds4huntingtons

Pals we are just listening to our good friend @jaq421 on Radio 4 talking about her family's fight with Huntington's Disease...bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09Ö ....as you know we try and help a little by supporting Miss Jackie and #sybilontour

A terrible disease. I lost my uncle and cousin to see the suffering and what it dies to families. More research is required into curing this #Huntingtonsdisease

Congratulations Jackie on getting the Government grant for the extension, for passing your driving test, for getting another Border Terrier ( the gorgeous Spike) but most of all for having the courage to have the test and receive a positive result.

You are such a brave, brave woman. Your heartbreaking and courageous story will stay in my mind for a long time.

The Untold - The Toss of the Coin - @bbcradio4 ó Well worth a listen! Great work @jaq421

Dear Jackie, Iím deeply touched by your courage and strength. Thanks for sharing your difficult journey with us. Your Mom would be so proud of you.❤️ #huntingtonsdisease

Well done @jaq421 Iíve sent it everywhere #TeamHDA takes a lot of courage to talk about it

Thank you for sharing your very powerful story @jaq421 ❤️

I worked on HD unit, devastating illness, only now is it getting the coverage it deserves

@BBCLookNorth will be interviewing @jaq421 about #huntingtonsdisease 6:30pm. Please tune in and show your support 💜 #RaiseAwareness with @HDA_tweeting

@SJohnsAcademy you should get this local lady @jaq421 in to tell all the kids about her family & Huntingtonís. Her journey has just been the subject of a Radio 4 documentary & sheís just been on @BBCLookNorth

That was v emotional. So pleased for you!

Please listen to this! It's about my friend Jackie. She is possibly the bravest person I know. She went through hell, and she had the courage to know her destiny. This is a true story. So proud of you, @jaq421!! #houndsforhuntingtons

WOW, what a difficult, emotional journey. A must-hear: The Untold - The Toss of the Coin - @bbcradio4 @gracedent
#HuntingdonsDisease

This was incredibly moving, Jackie. The strength and humanity of your family shone through. A must listen programme

Listening to #theuntold with @gracedent on @BBCRadio4. Wow! I cried with u Jackie when you received ur good news; such a selfless lady to think of ur brother first. So powerful. Thank u for sharing your story @jaq421 #huntingtons #sybilontour

Good grief - incredibly moving story @jaq421 🙏

"Toss of the Coin": Jackie Harrison undergoes predictive testing for Huntingdon's disease, with @gracedent on @bbcradio4

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09Ö

@jaq421 I have just listened to your moving story on Radio 4.How can I buy a Sybil felt dog? Thanks

Huntington's is a horrible, terminal disease but this is a great programme about it. This is @jaq421's story, told by her with @gracedent. It's quite something:

A profoundly moving and informative programme. I never knew...

@gracedent @jaq21 thank you for shining a light

That was one of the most amazing half hours of radio ever! That must have been so hard for you x
And to hear singing corner on national radio too!
Iím so happy for you, youíre amazing

Well done, Jackie. It's so difficult to even explain the disease - that sense of shame, of the fact that it's so unknown. You've done a real service there and I will share it with my friends.

ď