Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > General HD topics

General HD topics Open forum for all other issues concerning Huntington’s disease

Old 11-09-18, 07:28 PM   #11
angeldust
Approved Member

Default Re: Upgrading the Message Board

Just my 2 cents on the private board question:

I have been searching for information about HD on and off for years and reading this board has not only helped me learn about the illness but has also been extremely helpful in understanding the little things.

And reading the point of view of the sufferrers themselves and gaining insight into what it's like for them is priceless.

If it were private to begin with, I would never have been able to see the support, I would never have known that a community exists behind the closed doors, I would never have registered.

TL;DR If it's possible to have a private category or subcategories where we could post sensitive issues while keeping the rest open to anyone who needs help/information, I believe that's the best of two worlds.

Surely a plugin exists for this?
angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-18, 02:15 PM   #12
Webmaster
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Upgrading the Message Board

Hi angeldust,

I have a beta version of the new message board up and running. If you (or anyone else) would like to try it out then send me a PM or email me at marc@codev.uk and I will send you account details to try it out.

I have set it up to be private for now but I appreciate that a lot of people found the message board in the past through search engines and making it private takes away from that. We have to balance that with people feeling comfortable enough to post in the first place. It's a difficult one.

I am wondering about having a few public topics and have the rest private. This is perfectly possible with the new software but it is just about how to tell people about this in a way that is straightforward.

I was thinking about having a guides category in which people can contribute helpful hints, useful websites and so on but tell people not to post anything personal there. Then the rest of the message board could be used for discussion as usual. But as I said it's how to do that in a person friendly way.

Let me know if anyone wants access to the test site or has any more ideas about the public/private split.

Marc