Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntington’s disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 16-06-10, 02:07 PM   #1
Master of fact

Default Affraid for my children.

My dad is being tested for HD. He had been told he had picks disease 2 years ago ( signs of dimentia, wandering, no sense or value of money) But have just been told he is being tested for HD. get results monday. 6 weeks ago dad fell and was taken to hospital. He was fine for two weeks and then went downhill so fast. He went from living alone coping to lying like a vegetable in hospital. He cant talk or eat.

Im 24 and have two amazing children of 3 and 1 years. I dont want them to have this disease, and want my dad to stop suffering, im so afraid. Its hard to type when you cry.
Master of fact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-10, 06:02 PM   #2
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson
Default Re: Affraid for my children.

Welcome to the board

I'd suggest taking things one step at a time right now, wait and see what your father's test results bring. If it is HD then obviously you will face the 50% risk and that's something you will have to come to terms with, but for now... lets see what the results say.

Tc, Matt.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-10, 07:10 PM   #3
Scooby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of fact View Post
My dad is being tested for HD. He had been told he had picks disease 2 years ago ( signs of dimentia, wandering, no sense or value of money) But have just been told he is being tested for HD. get results monday. 6 weeks ago dad fell and was taken to hospital. He was fine for two weeks and then went downhill so fast. He went from living alone coping to lying like a vegetable in hospital. He cant talk or eat.

Im 24 and have two amazing children of 3 and 1 years. I dont want them to have this disease, and want my dad to stop suffering, im so afraid. Its hard to type when you cry.
Hi there,
Firstly welcome to the board.
From what I know about picks (which isn't much but i have known people with picks) it is very similar in symptoms etc to HD but a much faster progression as in about 2 years life expectancy. I could be wrong here but it was my understanding that there is also the 50/50 chance of inheritance.

To be honest, what you have described above doesn't sound to me like the onset of HD but that's just my opinion. Therefore, I would tend to agree with Matt in that you should wait and see what the test reveals.

Hope all works out well for you and your family - fingers crossed.

Take care
San
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-10, 08:09 PM   #4
DH
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
I have never heard of PICKS though.
Me neither, I had to look it up. Doesn't sound very nice

Sorry for your news Master of Fact; I hope things turn out one way or another
Old 16-06-10, 09:30 PM   #5
Master of fact

Thanks everyone. Im just so confused and feel like im in so many places at once. My dads mum died of Alziemers and his dad had parkinsons but died of Lung cancer. Im trying to stay positive.

When i look at my children i dont want them to suffer the way me and my brother have with my father.

we shall see.
Master of fact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-10, 09:41 PM   #6
Anita
Approved Member

Quote:

I completely understand what you are going through right now. I found out that I'm HD+ less than a week ago. I have two beautiful children and it breaks my heart to think that what I have may affect them.

The people on here are amazing and so understanding of all the emotions I am feeling right now. Matts advice is good....see what Monday brings for you and know that you are not alone. Keep in touch, there is so much support here. xx
Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-10, 10:48 PM   #7
jillb
Approved Member

Send a message via MSN to jillb

Hi Master of Fact

Welcome to the board

What an agonising time you are having, and the wait for test result horrendous.

So sorry that you have already been through so much.

Thinking of you all

Jillx
jillb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-10, 04:47 PM   #8
Blondie
Approved Member

Hello and welcome.As with the rest,see what the results say.Don't worry over your kids unless you really have to.It's not worth the pain,trust me
Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-10, 10:21 PM   #9
Scarlett D.
Approved Member

Quote:

Hi Master of Fact, welcome to the board! Sorry to hear of you dad's ill health.

Like the others have said, try not to jump ahead of yourself too much, if you can...

My fingers are crossed for you and your loved ones. I will be thinking of you and your dad on Monday.

Take Care,
Scarlett
Scarlett D. is offline   Reply With Quote