Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntington’s disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 14-05-10, 10:02 AM   #21
PJ
Approved Member

Send a message via MSN to PJ
Default Re: Is there such thing as 'Mild HD'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EachOne View Post
Hi, I have already made a thread about my situation but I was just wondering, is there such thing as Mild HD, can someone have the HD gene but not have the full (and frankly terryfing) syptoms that I have seen and heard about or once someone has the HD gene, it's certain that they will just go further and further down hill?

Thank you for any replies
When my husband was diagnosed I asked the consultant the very same question and was answered with a resounding no! There is no family history of HD so we have nothing to compare to! It's very scary stuff but I hope and pray that hubby is the exception to the rule and does only suffer mild HD! Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing?
PJ x
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-10, 03:50 PM   #22
kayleigh
Approved Member

hhiya iff you ddo hhave the hd gene thhen sadlyy youu get full on hd
kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-10, 03:50 PM   #23
EachOne
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1moreperson View Post
I know hun

Dave (Eachone), I would go uni, I've made some pretty big sacrifices in my life in order to care for my father who had HD. I think if he's at a stage where he's just beginning to have symptoms (you think) then he has several years ahead of him where he will be quite capable to look out for himself.

Also on the research note and the hope for a treatment/cure. HD research is very very strong now, a lot happening, a lot of money being put in and a very organised bunch of people making sure progress is being made. There's definitely a lot of hope to be had.

Tc, Matt.
Hey Matt, Yeah .. I see what you are saying, but I just see it as time without my dad where in the furture I would kill for that time again? ... but in the same time I don't want to not go and blame him? ....
EachOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-10, 11:41 PM   #24
DH
Approved Member

And therein lies the dilemma of the child....

However, HD is a slow disease. Go to uni, your Dad will still be there when you're done. He may be the same, he may be slightly worse but he'll still be here (unless of course he gets hit by a bus ). So get out there and enjoy your life. You're young and life stretches far away into the distance but by the time you've done a few things it starts to get very short. Life is like a toilet roll you see; the closer to the end you get the faster it goes...
Old 14-05-10, 11:57 PM   #25
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EachOne View Post
Hey Matt, Yeah .. I see what you are saying, but I just see it as time without my dad where in the furture I would kill for that time again? ... but in the same time I don't want to not go and blame him? ....
Hi Dave,

I understand your worries all too well. I was a carer for my dad throughout my teenage years, I left my job to become a full time carer for my dad when I was 18 years old. I put my dad first and valued the time with him, but at that stage my dad was already in late stages of HD.

If I was in your shoes I'd go to uni, purely because your dad is at the beginning of the long road that is HD and he doesn't need you by his side 24/7 right now. You can still make a lot of good memories in these years though, but no reason why you can't do that while you earn a degree. I'm sure dad would be proud of that achievement as well.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-10, 12:11 PM   #26
EachOne
Approved Member

Your prob right guys, thank you
EachOne is offline   Reply With Quote