Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > New Members

New Members Introduce yourself, and get to know how the HDA Message Board works

Old 01-01-17, 10:46 PM   #1
siannais8ê

Default Possible HD in my 12 yr ds

Im in turmoil over what is best for my son, his grandfather died at 43 with HD, his father has pleaded with me for years to not get him tested, if it came out positive that would mean he would have it too, regardless of the fact that it can skip generations. Or not be there at all. I've told him that he's being selfish, I've waited long enough for him to decide if he wants the test or not. Our son is priority. (Seperated, but get along well). Now I'm torn whether to get him tested and explain the disease to him if the out come was positive, or leave him to choose himself when he's older. I know some HD people have lived up to their 70s but I also watched my father in law go through it. I feel like I can't protect my son either way. I'm either scaring him out of his wits or keeping something from him.
siannais8ê is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 10:27 AM   #2
Trish
Approved Member

Default Re: Possible HD in my 12 yr ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by siannais8ê View Post
Im in turmoil over what is best for my son, his grandfather died at 43 with HD, his father has pleaded with me for years to not get him tested, if it came out positive that would mean he would have it too, regardless of the fact that it can skip generations. Or not be there at all. I've told him that he's being selfish, I've waited long enough for him to decide if he wants the test or not. Our son is priority. (Seperated, but get along well). Now I'm torn whether to get him tested and explain the disease to him if the out come was positive, or leave him to choose himself when he's older. I know some HD people have lived up to their 70s but I also watched my father in law go through it. I feel like I can't protect my son either way. I'm either scaring him out of his wits or keeping something from him.
Sorry Siannaise but are you from the UK?

I am trying to work out how you think you can get your 12 year old son tested if he is not already showing signs of Juvenile HD thus meriting a test through the geneticists referral? On the basis of ethics, I doubt you would be allowed to get your son tested by any reputable Clinic in the UK.

I think you personally need to speak to your doctor and explain why you are reaching the conclusion that it's in your son's best interest to be tested at such a young age.
Old 02-01-17, 12:48 PM   #3
shiraz
Approved Member

Default Re: Possible HD in my 12 yr ds

I think you are saying that your [ex] husband's father died of hd and that your [ex] husband has always refused to be tested so you are worrying away about what if's? If he doesn't have the hd gene then your son won't - hd does not "skip" generations. Tests for hd aren't carried out until you are 18 at least so unless your 12 year old is showing signs of jhd I very much doubt a doctor [in the UK for sure] would refer you to a clinic. It's my husband who has hd and he is 73....
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote