Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis

Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis Forum for medical issues, and for the recently diagnosed (and families)

Old 19-04-17, 09:32 AM   #1
Sobeslav

Default Alternative Meds?

Hi All, I just want to ask if anyone ever tried using medical cannabis as an alternative meds? I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, glaucoma, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. Like this review on a marijuana strain thin mint girl scout cookies. Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don't even smoke. If this is true I cant find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks
Sobeslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-17, 01:13 PM   #2
vix
Approved Member

Default Re: Alternative Meds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeslav View Post
Hi All, I just want to ask if anyone ever tried using medical cannabis as an alternative meds? I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, glaucoma, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. Like this review on a marijuana strain thin mint girl scout cookies. Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don't even smoke. If this is true I cant find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks
Hi I'm in the same position here. I would love to know if this can help, i have a friend who the hospital had given up on with cancer trteatment as her body wasnt responding to it any more she started cannabis oil and shes now cured. Bearing in mind she had 3 big tumors in her body and they were spreading fast and after 9 months of a drop of oil each night shes now near enough cancer free? Surely it must do something to help HD patients. My partner is in the early stages of HD and is 32. we have 3 children at risk also. and my partner has a sister and 2 brothers who have all tested positive and one of them is 35 and in stage 2 of 5 of the disease. :(
vix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-17, 04:23 PM   #3
Allan
Approved Member

Hi Sobeslav and vix and any other interested parties

I donít know whether my recent experience will help in any way. Iíll list it all here as it tells its own story.

21 February 2017: Iíve just finished my first 7 days as a guinea pig with the Cannabidiol [CBD] capsules. It was suggested that I keep a daily log to report any positives or negatives or any changes in my health. My daughter is here for a couple of days so I thought Iíd better explain the situation to her. Half way through, b4 Iíd even mentioned Cannabidiol, she said, ďIs that why your chilled out?Ē I did tell her that I prefer to use the word ďcalmĒ as ďchilled outĒ seems a bit hippy-ish and too flippant - and Iím on a serious mission on behalf of my son. So thatís a positive mark for Cannabidiol - another 3 weeks until the trial is complete.

9 March 2017: Cannabidiol [CBD]: my guinea pig test results Ö

I bought 28 Cannabidiol 50mg capsules, I took one a day for two weeks with seemingly no negative or positive results. I then decided to double the dose for one week, taking one capsule in the morning and one in the evening.

Iím a calm on the outside sort of person but with a degree of inner anxiety and, if I had to give a positive, it would be that I have been inwardly calm and "cool". In fact, I've been a bit more expressive with people.

It hasnít helped with my Neuropathy or Arthritis - I wasnít really expecting it to, just that it would have been a bonus. I developed a bit of a croaky throat a week ago and itís still with me. But whoís to know whether thatís been caused naturally of otherwise. Maybe itís because of singing Dylan and Hendrix songs at 3 in the morning!! So itís difficult to know whether itís really been of any major benefit. I suppose the higher dosage of CBD oil is called for.

Delta 9-Tetrahydrocannabinol [THC], the chemical that produces ďthe highsĒ and makes cannabis illegal has been removed from this product and people with Parkinsonís, MND and MS seem to be using 100mg or 500mg of the Cannabidiol oil. You place a drop of oil under your tongue and, they say, it gets to work almost immediately. But not a very palatable taste.

How to dose Cannabis oil?

Cannabidiol: A Promising Drug for Neurodegenerative Disorders?

Cannabis and Cancer, Pt. 1: Can Cannabis Kill Cancer?

Cannabis and Cancer, Pt. 2: The Triple Threat of THC, CBD, and Conventional Treatment on Cancer

Cannabidiol in Humans - The Quest for Therapeutic Targets

Nine clinical trials administered CBD-alone via the oral route. One early crossover trial comparing CBD with placebo among 15 Huntingtonís disease patients did not find any significant differences in chorea severity, side-effects, clinical lab tests and other safety outcomes after 6-weeks of treatment.

On the other hand, a crossover trial comparing CBD with placebo and nitrazepam (5 mg) among 15 insomniac volunteers revealed that duration of sleep significantly increased following administration of the high-dose CBD; however, dream recall was reduced, relative to placebo. The same authors subsequently conducted a 6-week, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of CBD, added to antiepileptic drugs, among 15 treatment-refractory epileptic patients. Here, they found that four out of eight CBD-treated patients evidenced significant improvement in their condition, whereas only one patient improved in the placebo group.

More recently, a crossover study demonstrated that CBD decreased subjective anxiety among 10 treatment-naÔve patients with social anxiety disorder, relative to placebo, and this was accompanied with significant changes in regional cerebral blood flow. Similarly, a placebo-controlled, parallel-group study among 24 treatment-naive social anxiety disorder patients showed that CBD significantly reduced anxiety, cognitive impairment, and discomfort in speech performance.

So, there certainly seem to be positive effects to taking the 100mg or 500mg of the actual Cannabidiol oil on or under the tongue twice or more a day Ö and finally, Cannabidiol as a regular treatment\therapy for HD would be extremely expensive.

Old 03-06-17, 11:23 AM   #4
Allan
Approved Member

For anyone who's undecided about the use of medicinal Cannabis for the treatment of Movement Disorders the following recent articles might sway you one way or the other:

Clearing the Smoke on Cannabis: Medical Use of Cannabis and Cannabinoids [2016]

MEDICAL MARIJUANA IN CERTAIN NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS [2014]

Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base

Medical Use of Cannabis (Marijuana) [2012]

Update of Cannabis and its medical use [2015]