Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > New Members

New Members Introduce yourself, and get to know how the HDA Message Board works

Old 14-01-16, 06:38 PM   #1
doghunter221

Default New memeber

Hello my name is kyle, i am 21 years of age and i have been stalking the HD forums for a few years now and thought its about time to join in. My father passed away a few mouths ago from HD and as terrible as it was i spent most my life telling myself it would happen one day and was emotionally ready for it. Most of my life i never quite understood what was wrong with my dad untell my late teen years. He and my mother did hard drugs so i decided it would be best for myself to stay away from them. Because my mother and father were not the best parents even know i know they tried thair best and i love them for that. I decided when I was young that i would work hard and achieve and go as far as i can. I bought my first house when i was 20 and now own 3 homes for adults with mental disabilities, i married at 18 and by the age now of 21, felt like i had everything untell my farther passed away. When my father passed i relized that life is far far to short to live life in dought and regret. I relized that i worked hard and got far but that wasent what truly made me happy. I relized i am far to young to be married and even own homes. My wife bless her heart. Is the most understanding person i have ever met and as much as it broke her heart, i told her that i can no longer continue the relationship. I spent to many years my my life thinking i had to achieve everything before HD cought up to me but now i realize that HD may be a bad thing. But it can also help you understand that everyday should mean something to you, I've recently got into piano, violin, rock climbing and any other thing i could possibly want to do. i realize more that its not about the nice things you own, house, cars, or money that brings meaning to your life but its the people around you that make you happy, when i was 15 i fell in love with a girl that i never got over and have recently regain contact with this person and i must say it is great, i think my true point is, is that i see alot of negitive thoughts on the forums witch i understand. But there is also a good side to everything if you choose to see it :)
doghunter221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-16, 02:53 AM   #2
toosh
Approved Member

Default Re: New memeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghunter221 View Post
Hello my name is kyle, i am 21 years of age and i have been stalking the HD forums for a few years now and thought its about time to join in. My father passed away a few mouths ago from HD and as terrible as it was i spent most my life telling myself it would happen one day and was emotionally ready for it. Most of my life i never quite understood what was wrong with my dad untell my late teen years. He and my mother did hard drugs so i decided it would be best for myself to stay away from them. Because my mother and father were not the best parents even know i know they tried thair best and i love them for that. I decided when I was young that i would work hard and achieve and go as far as i can. I bought my first house when i was 20 and now own 3 homes for adults with mental disabilities, i married at 18 and by the age now of 21, felt like i had everything untell my farther passed away. When my father passed i relized that life is far far to short to live life in dought and regret. I relized that i worked hard and got far but that wasent what truly made me happy. I relized i am far to young to be married and even own homes. My wife bless her heart. Is the most understanding person i have ever met and as much as it broke her heart, i told her that i can no longer continue the relationship. I spent to many years my my life thinking i had to achieve everything before HD cought up to me but now i realize that HD may be a bad thing. But it can also help you understand that everyday should mean something to you, I've recently got into piano, violin, rock climbing and any other thing i could possibly want to do. i realize more that its not about the nice things you own, house, cars, or money that brings meaning to your life but its the people around you that make you happy, when i was 15 i fell in love with a girl that i never got over and have recently regain contact with this person and i must say it is great, i think my true point is, is that i see alot of negitive thoughts on the forums witch i understand. But there is also a good side to everything if you choose to see it :)
Hi DH221
Welcome to the board.
You are exactly right when you say material possessions mean nothing. Someone once said to me your health is your wealth and I think it is very true.
Keep doing what makes you happy
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-16, 01:18 PM   #3
Allan
Approved Member

Default Re: New member

Hi there Kyle

Apart from your dad dying from HD you give no further indication as to whether you have been, or are going to be, genetically tested – or whether you are going to remain not knowing with that 50/50 chance. It’s just that you say: “that life is far, far too short to live life in doubt and regret.”

How old were you when you left home? I’m just thinking that, as you’ve been “stalking HD forums”, you might be wanting to ask some specific questions - and receive answers that your parents weren’t able to give you regarding HD.

In the UK there are lots of rules and regs about owning\managing homes for vulnerable adults. Do you have the same strict guidelines in the USA?

It seems that you are trying things out b4 choosing the lifelong route[s] appropriate to you - for continuing your big-hearted projects, ie the giving\enabling. Then, of course, there’s your youthful parkour activities.

Good luck with whichever route[s] you take.