Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123


Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Fundraising, events, summer camps, support groups

Fundraising, events, summer camps, support groups Tell us about your UK fundraising activities and local meetings

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-06-17, 10:58 PM   #1
Gill
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 9
Default Help for my son

My son is living with mice droppings,flies,blocked toilet full of faeces been like this for weeks. His social worker and doctors know. Doctor says he chooses to live like this,social worker not very helpful either. Also no money.within a week of getting benefits its all gone. Social worker recognizes that he cannot manage his money but that's it. How bad does someone have to get before he gets help. He's in a brand new flat,will be evicted if landlord knew state of it. Social worker says he declines help!!! Am thinking of contacting environmental health?? Any suggestions please. My son is 30. Thankyou.:
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 05:01 PM   #2
Gabby
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 368
Default Re: Help for my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
My son is living with mice droppings,flies,blocked toilet full of faeces been like this for weeks. His social worker and doctors know. Doctor says he chooses to live like this,social worker not very helpful either. Also no money.within a week of getting benefits its all gone. Social worker recognizes that he cannot manage his money but that's it. How bad does someone have to get before he gets help. He's in a brand new flat,will be evicted if landlord knew state of it. Social worker says he declines help!!! Am thinking of contacting environmental health?? Any suggestions please. My son is 30. Thankyou.:
Hi Gill so sorry Im not sure how to help but please ring the HDA and speak to your regional huntington's disease specialist advisor hopefully they will be able to help him . Sounds awful very worrying for you .Please keep us updated

Gabby
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 05:09 PM   #3
Gill
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 9
Default Re: Help for my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Hi Gill so sorry Im not sure how to help but please ring the HDA and speak to your regional huntington's disease specialist advisor hopefully they will be able to help him . Sounds awful very worrying for you .Please keep us updated

Gabby
Thankyou I hadn't thought of that as she isn't involved in his care cos H.D scares him so much. He says he has anxiety and depression. Our HD nurse advisor and team know my daughter and see her every 6 months. I'll do that tomorrow.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 06:10 PM   #4
Gabby
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 368
Default Re: Help for my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Thankyou I hadn't thought of that as she isn't involved in his care cos H.D scares him so much. He says he has anxiety and depression. Our HD nurse advisor and team know my daughter and see her every 6 months. I'll do that tomorrow.
So sorry it scares him is he being treated for his anxiety and depression ?

hope they can help

take
Care
Gabby
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 11:04 PM   #5
banda
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Consett, County Durham
Posts: 477
Default Re: Help for my son

I think that is awful...are you able to help? A weekly care company is needed and immediately a plumber/drain cleaner.....it could be sorted quite quickly bit needs a weekly contract or you to do.... ??? Sorry if this is abrupt but cant believe I am reading it....
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 07:16 PM   #6
Gill
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 9
Default Re: Help for my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
I think that is awful...are you able to help? A weekly care company is needed and immediately a plumber/drain cleaner.....it could be sorted quite quickly bit needs a weekly contract or you to do.... ??? Sorry if this is abrupt but cant believe I am reading it....
Thank you. His social worker wasn't much help at all when I spoke to her on the phone. She did tell me that she'd spoke to her manager and they could pay me to do his cleaning!!! Fraid he needs someone outside of family and he is easily aggravated by me and this is known to them all. He really can't see that his flat is so bad a state. I've got day off tomorrow so will see doctor and phone H.D specialist nurse for advice.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-17, 10:21 PM   #7
Gill
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 9
Default Re: Help for my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Thank you. His social worker wasn't much help at all when I spoke to her on the phone. She did tell me that she'd spoke to her manager and they could pay me to do his cleaning!!! Fraid he needs someone outside of family and he is easily aggravated by me and this is known to them all. He really can't see that his flat is so bad a state. I've got day off tomorrow so will see doctor and phone H.D specialist nurse for advice.
Feeling bit better as although its difficult for docs etc to help when he says there's nothing wrong!!! At least I've made his flat ALL clean today. Wanted to cry when I thought what I was doing and why but got a grip etc!!! Spoke to Sue Hill who was very supportive. Thankyou.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-17, 07:58 AM   #8
banda
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Consett, County Durham
Posts: 477
Default Re: Help for my son

Oh what a star you are...well done you. I guess what is needed now is some outside help to try to maintain it. SS need to intervene and do something but I know they often have such a low threshold of care. It is terrible to have to see loved ones in such a state. Take care and stay strong xx
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 03:14 PM   #9
Snowman
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Default Re: Help for my son

Hi Gill, very difficult stuff to deal with, this. Most healthcare professionals know little about HD so when somebody says they are 'fine' they go with it. They could do a Mental Capacity Assessment on your son to see if he understands the possible consequences of living in an unhygienic environment. They could also work around 'self neglect' and talk to him about having a Support Worker to help him cope with everyday life. If approached by somebody that has taken the time to build a relationship with him he may agree to a little help with cleaning, shopping and getting to appointments which will all help towards his long term well-being. Staff need to work together in a Multi-Disciplinary fashion to get the best results. Get them all talking to each other if you can so they can provide a coordinated approach which should achieve much better outcomes for him. As people have suggested, if you don't have an H.D Specialist Team around you then the HDA should be able to coordinate. Good luck. : )
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 03:21 PM   #10
Snowman
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Default Re: Help for my son

Also, his finances can be taken over by organisations like the Money Carer Foundation so he doesn't get into debt. The Social Worker should be aware of this. He can't be left alone to get into debt and potentially end up homeless.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:38 AM.


About the HDA Message Board

A UK-based forum for people whose lives are affected by Huntington's disease and wish to share their experiences with others. Moderated by SHDAs from the HDA, a UK registered charity.

Please Remember

The HDA Message Board is not a substitute for professional advice. Consult a relevant professional before making decisions that could affect you or others.

Donate to HDA


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Registered Charity No. 296453. Website Content © HDA 2010

HDA