Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 21-01-13, 04:48 PM   #1
Trish
Approved Member

Default E - Petition

I have started up an E-Petition regarding recognising HD when it comes to the Work Capability Assessments.

Could you all please sign (UK Voters only I'm afraid).

SIGN HERE

The text of my petition is given below and, under that, is the article link to what prompted me to start my petition.

I apologise in advance to the HDA if this is somehow at odds with what they may be doing in the background. I hope it can be seen as another way of trying to get awareness. I don't expect to reach the 100,000 signatures level but it is still a platform to add weight to the cause.

Please share in Facebook; Linked in and on Twitter if possible

Huntington’s disease - Recognised and considered appropriately for benefits.

-------

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

With the call by Cheryl Gillan for claimants with Autism to be treated differently under the work capability assessment tests, we call for those claiming for Huntington’s disease (HD) to also be granted special treatment ‘so that it is fair and appropriate for claimants’.

HD is an inherited brain disease for which there is no cure. Classed as ‘rare’, the lack of informed medical knowledge about HD can lead to misunderstanding of its likely progression. Those diagnosed currently have a life expectancy of below 20 years from symptom onset.

The government previously singled out HD in the case of insurance. Having already decided positive testing means a life is of limited timescale, we urge the government to recognise the need to streamline the benefits process for those suffering and their carers.

-----

Taken from ARTICLE on MSN

'Tory former Cabinet minister Cheryl Gillan said she was concerned about the treatment of people with autism. "The National Autistic Society ... believes the WCA should be delivered differently so that it is fair and appropriate for claimants with autism," she said.'
Old 24-01-13, 09:36 AM   #2
Trish
Approved Member

Default Re: E - Petition

Just wanted to bump up this Thread.

We currently have 561 signatures

Thanks to all those who have signed already.

Some people have commented they needed to check their junk mail where the e-mail asking for a click to verify signature was automatically sent there. If you can't recall having been sent an e-mail to click on a link, please double check your inbox/junk mail etc or your signature wont count.

Can I urge those of you with social media such as FaceBook and Twitter to please circulate the link widely to attract more sign up and also awareness. In Twitter in particular, it only takes one Celeb to retweet and their fans will sign anything lol. Only takes ne lucky hit as it were

I'm currently reading a book about David Bowie. Guess what... The Author writes in there about a guy on the tour with David whose wife had HD. Now if I can only get david involved lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
I have started up an E-Petition regarding recognising HD when it comes to the Work Capability Assessments.

SIGN HERE

The text of my petition is given below and, under that, is the article link to what prompted me to start my petition.

I apologise in advance to the HDA if this is somehow at odds with what they may be doing in the background. I hope it can be seen as another way of trying to get awareness. I don't expect to reach the 100,000 signatures level but it is still a platform to add weight to the cause.

-------

With the call by Cheryl Gillan for claimants with Autism to be treated differently under the work capability assessment tests, we call for those claiming for Huntington’s disease (HD) to also be granted special treatment ‘so that it is fair and appropriate for claimants’.

HD is an inherited brain disease for which there is no cure. Classed as ‘rare’, the lack of informed medical knowledge about HD can lead to misunderstanding of its likely progression. Those diagnosed currently have a life expectancy of below 20 years from symptom onset.

The government previously singled out HD in the case of insurance. Having already decided positive testing means a life is of limited timescale, we urge the government to recognise the need to streamline the benefits process for those suffering and their carers.

-----

'Tory former Cabinet minister Cheryl Gillan said she was concerned about the treatment of people with autism. "The National Autistic Society ... believes the WCA should be delivered differently so that it is fair and appropriate for claimants with autism," she said.'
Old 26-01-13, 02:48 PM   #3
Trish
Approved Member

Good morning everyone.

Can I please bump Thread and ask for more signatures for this E-Petition.

We are currently on 867 signatures but need many more to reflect we mean business.

Many thanks to those who have already signed and verified their signature* Many thanks too to the HDA who are supporting me on this and also urging Members to sign and support its spreading further than just our own community.

SIGN HERE

* Don't forget there are two stages of the vote as it were. You sign on the main page entering your name and details as prompted.[/B]

The Petition Site then sends you an e0mail to the address you gave them. That e-mail prompts you to click on a link verifting you are a bona fide human being (and that it's not just me making up people lol.)

Seriously though... the verification part is important as the signatures will not count if unverified.

-------

-----

Old 27-01-13, 02:07 AM   #4
DH
Approved Member

Pushed it out onto some other forums I belong to. Hopefully should up the signatures a bit
Old 27-01-13, 07:26 PM   #5
arsenal61
Approved Member

Thankyou trish , once again working hard for hd causes, you really are brilliant. x
arsenal61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-13, 08:19 PM   #6
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru View Post
Thankyou trish , once again working hard for hd causes, you really are brilliant. x
No worries.

I just sit on my bottom and write words. Steve is, was, and always will be my main inspiration along with you guys still out there on the battlefield.

Talking of Steve...

Yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of Steve's death (where is the tears emoticon when I need it?).

I did another little poem on the Wordpress Clicky here to see

We still need loads more signatures and I was so pleased when we broke the 1,000 target for Steve's Angleversary.

Please help me reach 10,000 my Steve's Birthday in May. PRETTY PLEASE!

Sign HERE

The site will send you an e-mail to the address you gave when registering your signature. Make sure you click on the link they send to verify you are who you say you are and then the signature will count.

Please PLEASE share on Facebook; Twitter; tell you colleagues and friends to sign and their friends.

Thanks again for your support
Old 28-01-13, 09:10 PM   #7
Flumpy
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post

SIGN HERE

-------

-----

Hi Trish, I've signed the form and have also shared the link on Facebook
Flumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-13, 09:48 AM   #8
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flumpy View Post
Hi Trish, I've signed the form and have also shared the link on Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
On my links I have reminded people to click on the email they received to confirm its genuine. If the email isnt clicked on then the signature wont count.

1,220+ earlier today.
Many thnks Flumpy

Many thanks Jacqueline and well done for the reminders re' confirming.

I don't think the press like The Sun would feel it's enough of a public interest story to run with this particular petition by the way. If we had a family who have been disadvantaged by the system and were willing to go public it would be more likely to get attention but, as a petition , there are hundreds of us out there all doing the same thing. Very sad that we are now at the stage of diseases fighting other worthwhile diseases to get attention eh?
Old 29-01-13, 09:50 AM   #9
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
Pushed it out onto some other forums I belong to. Hopefully should up the signatures a bit
I wish I could see the signatures.

From Hairy Bikers, to goths, to Boy Scouts possibly.
Old 29-01-13, 09:54 AM   #10
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
On my links I have reminded people to click on the email they received to confirm its genuine. If the email isnt clicked on then the signature wont count.

1,220+ earlier today.
By the way J...

I am not sure you are looking at the right page? As much as I would love to have been wrong, I just double checked and at 9am today we have 1,149 signatures. Where are you getting your figure from?