Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Carers, things that have helped

Carers, things that have helped Share your experiences of caring, and pass on practical advice and helpful tips

Old 11-01-09, 06:28 PM   #21
sandy
Approved Member

Default Re: Depression

many thanks
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 06:52 PM   #22
dennisw
Approved Member

Sandy,
Another tip, most motorways are toll, so save money by using A roads, not very busy, just use tolls to get around cities or towns.
We did a bit of the Loire, great chateau, good sites.
Normandy good if you are interested in D-Day landings, some really good museums at each of the landing beaches. American War Cemetery at OMAHA beach is most poingont.
The Milleu Viaduct (bridge) across the River Tarn is a fantastic bridge, designed by a Brit and Gorge Du Tatn and Gorge Ardech are natures equivalent. Good tastings in Conac.
Numerous classic churches and catherderals, and pretty towns and villages.
Italian lakes are good, and Umbria and Tuscany full of pretty hill top towns and villages.
Enjoy the planning and the trip.
Dennis
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 10:27 PM   #23
twamoons
Approved Member

Hi Sandy,

Just noticed your question about travelling in a motorhome, it's a great idea. Don't know how long you're planning to go for and when, but we sold our house in 1996 and travelled in Europe for four years, spent a lot of time in Portugal, also Spain and France. Dennis has given you good advice, especially about the Aires de Service, we did most of our travelling in the winter months, leaving the UK in September and coming back to the UK in May. We worked for a few months in various places in England to save up for the next winters trip. I have to say a lot of places were still busy even though it was the winter months, so summertime might be even more so.

Having said that, if you plan ahead, you should be OK, there are loads of campsites everywhere, and with your wife to think about, that would be the best plan, we did park now and then in some obscure places, but I wasn't too keen, we always made sure we were next to other vans, you have to be careful wherever you go. We did make a lot of friends and met up with them again the following year, you will also see so much of each country and visit places well off the tourist track. It's good to mix with the locals and see the real country, rather than the resorts.

Now, of course we no longer have a motorhome, my husband has HD and looking back I reckon the last year of our travels, the signs were there, and I now realise what was going on, just as well we took the chance. If you want anymore info or help about anything, just let me know, planning the trip can be as good as going, certainly takes your mind off other things, hope this helps,

Carole
twamoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 06:34 PM   #24
sandy
Approved Member

thanks Carole, i think the planning and just thinking about it gives us both a lift, thanks for advice
Old 12-01-09, 10:09 PM   #25
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson

Hi Sandy,

Having a plan to...plan is always a nice feeling. As long as its not too stressful of course! But take it nice and easy and it's a good positive to have in life.

Tc, Matt.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-09, 05:47 PM   #26
sandy
Approved Member

thanks for advice, we have since our last talk been to europe using the aires and also the france passion sites, had a great time , ten weeks in all cant wait to go again