Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntington’s disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 07-03-16, 07:58 AM   #1
BDC0000l
Approved Member

Default Hit a new low....

Im in the process of waiting to be tested. I have made my mind up to get tested now and deal with the consequences. Im in the middle of a two month waiting period before my blood is tested on my next visit. If any researchers are reading this, the wait is agony. I felt I was in a good place, loving family around me. Im becoming irritable and tired now, in another world. I am becoming a person I dislike, driving my family away. Snapping at little things, having no sense of apathy for other peoples issues. Im worried these are symptoms or just as likely symptoms of depression. But what is the answer, drugs or more counselling. Don't know what the answer is, try and get an appointment sooner or see the doctor before my marriage breaks up and I loose everything. Counselling I feel is just going to delay this arduous process even further and addictive depression drugs are a very last resort.....
BDC0000l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 01:17 PM   #2
Gabby
Approved Member

Default Re: Hit a new low....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC0000l View Post
Im in the process of waiting to be tested. I have made my mind up to get tested now and deal with the consequences. Im in the middle of a two month waiting period before my blood is tested on my next visit. If any researchers are reading this, the wait is agony. I felt I was in a good place, loving family around me. Im becoming irritable and tired now, in another world. I am becoming a person I dislike, driving my family away. Snapping at little things, having no sense of apathy for other peoples issues. Im worried these are symptoms or just as likely symptoms of depression. But what is the answer, drugs or more counselling. Don't know what the answer is, try and get an appointment sooner or see the doctor before my marriage breaks up and I loose everything. Counselling I feel is just going to delay this arduous process even further and addictive depression drugs are a very last resort.....
Sorry you are feeling so bad can only suggest talking to GP you are understandably anxious about results / and all this brings it to the forefront of you mind you may or may not be depressed I am sure if you talk to your partner they will understand i know it was distressing for me as well as my hubbie when he was being tested tested.
Take care
GABBY X
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 10:35 PM   #3
Rainy69
Approved Member

Quote:

Sorry you are struggling. The wait is very stressful, but necessary, the genetic teams have to be sure you absolutely want to go ahead with testing. I was told, when I went to get my bloods done, that in the past people had backed out minutes before their test was taken, as they had changed their minds.

I knew 100% that I wanted to be tested and even though I wrote to the consultant before my first appointment stating this, I still had to have the relevant counselling. It is life changing.

I wish you well and hope you can talk to your family openly about this, as talking is the best way forward.

Best wishes

Rainy
Rainy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 07:50 AM   #4
BDC0000l
Approved Member

Thankyou for the kind words. I am finding it hard now and realise its not going to get any easier any time soon. Im up for the fight today, be positive and try to keep smiling. Thanks again............
BDC0000l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 03:22 PM   #5
charliegirl
Approved Member

Quote:
Thankyou for the kind words. I am finding it hard now and realise its not going to get any easier any time soon. Im up for the fight today, be positive and try to keep smiling. Thanks again............
Hi. I got my results 2 years ago in may. Unfortunately - i do have the gene. I went through the testing process - hoping i wouldnt have the gene. It is totally frustrating - the counsellor said that - it is usually a shock for people even after having the pre counselling bit.
The important thing is to have a strong support system - families / friends and professionals - who understand ( or at least try to get it ). Also enjoy the good days ! Take care, lv charliegirl 🐶 xx
Old 10-03-16, 07:50 PM   #6
glasshalffull
Approved Member

Quote:
please don't beat yourself up so much, you are going through a really stressful time at the moment. If you are having depression take the tablets they have become very effective over the years, and a mild dose now may give you the energy you need to cope a little better. This is an amazing forum and sometimes just knowing it is there helps. xx
glasshalffull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 08:51 AM   #7
Jules5288
Approved Member

you are going through a real emotional roller coaster right now and you are bound to be feeling like this but like someone else said be sure its what you want 100%. I remember clearly my last day of councelling when she handed me the form to have the bloods taken and i left the room and still at that point thought shall i do it or walk away now. i knew that i couldnt wait any longer to find out because it had been going through my head for years. i know it sounds corney but listen to your heart. xx
Jules5288 is offline   Reply With Quote