Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Carers, things that have helped

Carers, things that have helped Share your experiences of caring, and pass on practical advice and helpful tips

Old 31-07-07, 02:50 AM   #71
Eric
Approved Member

Sorry to hear that about your husband. Is he having symptoms? It takes time to adjust to this. I sure understand you being a mess. If there is anything we can do or if you just want to vent you are in the right place.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-07, 11:15 PM   #72
deedi
Approved Member

Send a message via MSN to deedi

Hi dogslife. It is always hard to get through it when someone is diagnosed with hd, i was a total mess,but it takes time to adjust,you have to just take one day at a time.
When you are ready,find out who your hda advisor is for your area,if you dont already know,and they will be able to help you.They are very good people,and very helpful.
My husband is only 42,he was diagnosed 10 yrs ago.It does take time.Even after this long it is still hard to except what is happening to him.
Any time you want to chat,just leave me a message,this site is great for sounding of. Id be lost with out it,and the people on here are wonderful,and they all understand what you are going through.
I will be thinking of you.
Take care.
Old 31-07-07, 11:19 PM   #73
myrna
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to myrna

Hi D
So sorry to hear about your husband & that you feel so bad.
You will find support here.
We'll hopefully speak to you soon.

Best wishes.
Myrna
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 03:18 PM   #74
deedi
Approved Member

Hi Paul...I understand what you are saying..Its not easy is it....Im sorry though to hear about your wifes positive result...
I get like you to,,some times its hard to keep your frustration in and you do let go,ive done it to..And feeling like a single person,well ive had that feeling for quite sometime now. Dont get me wrong,i love my husband to bits,but at times i just feel alone..
Any time you want to chat,im always here..Or you can email me..My addy is on my profile...
Do keep intouch,it would nice..
Take care,
Old 10-08-07, 10:55 PM   #75
twamoons
Approved Member

Hi Paul,

I know exactly what you mean, I feel I'm living with a child, endless questions about things they should know, leading them by the nose almost, placing things in their hands, taking them where they need to be, I don't mind so much at the moment, it's a bit like entertaining my grandsons, but just sometimes it gets a bit much, I am being followed from room to room, I never seem to have an hour to myself during the day, I go on the computer at night as it's somewhere else to be, and then when he goes to bed, I feel remorse, because he doesn't want to be like that and he tries so hard to be normal, I think your wife is a bit further along than my husband, but he's not far behind, I've noticed quite a change this past month, he's not on drugs yet, trying to delay incase of side affects, he's only got one kidney, so heavens knows the implications of that, if any, I just don't know and nobody else seems to know either.

I reckon you do end up feeling on your own, caring for someone who possibily becomes a stranger and your relationship deteriorates, it takes a strong person to cope with this, here's hoping we all manage somehow,

Take care,

Twamoons
twamoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-07, 04:32 AM   #76
myrna
Approved Member

Hi Deedi,
I don't know if i'm late or early...but I wanted to wish you a happy wedding anniversary.
I hope things are going well for you both.....an update must be due. LOL

Best wishes
Myrna
Old 22-08-07, 09:56 PM   #77
deedi
Approved Member

Hi Myrna,, Thanks hunni, our anniversary was on Sunday 19th, but thanks again for the wishes,so not to late, lol....
An up date for you...My husband is doing ok at the moment.....He has a personal carer who is with him for 9 hrs of the day now..He is coming home on a wednesday for the day and his carer comes with him......
Hes not had any over night stay at home yet but he seems a lot more stable at the moment,which is good.Fingers crossed ah.
We had another cpa meeting last week and it went well,i think..We are continuing with the one to one care for now as it is keeping him calm. The meds he is now on also seem to be working well.
If he continues to stay this way then i may have him home for a over night stay in a couple of weeks if the drs ok it...But they have said that the fri to mon leave that he did have will not be reinstated..He will be allowed just a over night stay when he is ok to have it..So hopefully they will let him soon..
I am keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to stay like this and that he doesnt have another relapse.If he did i dont think he would come out of another one..
Anyway,hope all is well with you and your family.Let me know how things are going with you.
Thanks for all your support,
Thinking of you all,
Old 23-08-07, 10:44 PM   #78
myrna
Approved Member

Deedi,
I'm glad to hear things are still going well. I do think of you both.

Rikki has not been too good really, we are just looking at time now...but still she hangs on, bless her, she does so well, even when she is really poorly.
Best not ask me how I am, cos I don't really know.lol
Very up & down...you know the ride. lol. Good days & bad days.
Better when my mind is taken off my own problems, hence why I post so much. lol

Still waiting to chat with you on Gmail whenever you want.
Sorry I was late with anniversay wishes.

Best wishes
Myrna
Old 24-08-07, 01:17 PM   #79
deedi
Approved Member

Hi Myrna,
Sorry to hear that Rikki"s not doing so well..It must be so hard for you,i to keep thinking about you both and you are always in my thoughts.
Thats why i post so much on the site to,it does keep your mind of your own problems and worries for a little while at least..
We will get to chat soon but im having problems with my yahoo at the moment,i cant get on to it for some reason,ive only got msn at this time but i am hopeing to have the problem sorted soon..

You didnt have to appologise for being late with your wishes,it was nice of you to send them anyway..

You take care of yourself..

Chat soon..

Best wishes,
Old 25-09-07, 10:08 PM   #80
deedi
Approved Member

Hi Guys,
Just an update on how things are doing.
For the last month things have been good,but again it wasnt to last.
I went away for a weeks break last week,which was well needed...
I went and saw my husband on Sunday and he seemed fine,his nomal self,no problems.I went to the home today for a meeting with the doctors and we agreed that he will have a days home visit one day a week and an overnight stay every four weeks,to which he said that was ok with him.
I should have known better. When the meeting was over and the doctors had gone,thats when i got it. He was so angry with me,he wouldnt even talk or even look at me.He wants more overnight stay,but i told him that i couldnt do it,not yet anyway.
After what we have been through these last few months i dont feel that i could cope with it.He just doesnt understand how hard it is for me when he is at home..I feel as if i go one step forward then 100 steps back..
He saying that i dont want him home and hes taken off his wedding ring..
Im just worried now that he may have another outburst at the home,as if he does he will be sectioned and moved to a secure unit,to which it will be the end of him,he wouldnt be able to cope in there..
I dont know what to do,im not even sure if there is anything i can do, im just so confussed at the moment,my head is totally in a whirl..
Im sorry if im talking on and on.I just feel as if things keep going round and round in circles,and i dont get anywhere except back where i started from..
Im gonna stop rambling now..
And just say thanks for listening..