Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Carers, things that have helped

Carers, things that have helped Share your experiences of caring, and pass on practical advice and helpful tips

Old 28-02-08, 11:45 PM   #11
myrna
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to myrna
Default Re: Depression

Hi Missy,

Totally agree...
jHD has to be a parents biggest fear. Suddenly crying with that nightmare thought in mind is certainly to be expected. I hope that it will be any number of things that is causing your son to be less engaging than usual. As you know, my daughter had jHD. If there is anyway I can be of help to you, don't hesitate.

Very best wishes
Myrna
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-08, 09:51 AM   #12
poppysox
Approved Member

hi missy

i agree with myrna and hope it will be something else also...when this HD exists at all i think that worry is always gonna be there...even when it could be something totally unconnected to it ....stay strong
Old 02-03-08, 12:31 AM   #13
missyd
Approved Member

hi thanks to myrna poppysox and dainty trish . Thanks for your words of encouragement. Being strong is the hardest thing to do at times but i have to do it for the boys. Trying not to think about the what ifs is a big challenge and assuming hd wen it could be ne thing else is natural i'm sure .As my husband gets worse i find it harder to stay posiitve and only can keep functioning on a very basic level but then i go to sleep and wake up the next day hoping for a better day ..

your strength is inspiring and the combined strength of evryone affected by hd could i'm sure power a country. thanks again take care out there x x
missyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 09:53 AM   #14
katiepie
Approved Member

Hi missy,

Im terrible if someone just mentions my mum, or actually if I witness happy events. I blub like a baby. I'm getting used to the fact that HD has effected my emotional wellbeing at its very core. I have also just started crying at my daughters school "out of the blue" its slightly embarassing but it makes me a bit cross because it stops me doing whatever task I was there to do.

I hope I made some sense, but knowing me......

As already stated "better out than in"

kath
katiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 12:52 PM   #15
myrna
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to myrna

I have come to the conclusion that sudden tears springing from nowhere or a full out sob from out of the blue are just going to always be a part of my life...even on a day where I feel better than usual. It embarrasses me because I'm usually not expecting it & often have no idea it is going to happen until it does. Sometimes it makes me feel cross with myself that I don't have the control over it that I used to have. If I'm going to cry I'd prefer to do it alone. It's a weird feeling, but there's nothing I can do about it, except accept it. It's just another symptom & effect of HD!

LOL Kath, although I had read your reply before I wrote this, it wasn't until I had finished that I realised I have mentioned the same feelings that you have too. A proof of how HD gets us!
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 07:52 PM   #16
sandy
Approved Member

oh well hankies all round, nice to know I'm not alone in this
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 01:06 PM   #17
sandy
Approved Member

thanks to everyone for advise, it has been some time since last i talked, i would like to say we are planning a trip around europe in a motorhome just going with the flow. My wife is still mobile and is looking forward to it , takes a lot of planing but will keep u informed, also as usual ANY ADVICE ?
Old 11-01-09, 03:58 PM   #18
sandy
Approved Member

thanks DT will look him up
sandy x
Old 11-01-09, 05:30 PM   #19
dennisw
Approved Member

Sandy,
Last year took camper/motorhome to France. I have driven in Europe loads, but this first with campe/motorhome.
France is realy motorhome friendly. Most small towns and villages have municiple sites with all facilities and "Service de Aires" not to be confused with motorway service areas which are caller "Aires". The "Service de Aires" are free overnight parking for motorhomes, some have water and hook-up paid by the hour. There is quite a good guide to them, put "Service de Aires" published by
Partners Chris Doree and Meli George
Vicarious Books
62 Tontine Street
Folkestone
Kent
CT20 1JP
0131 208 3333
www.vicarious-shop.co.uk
Also do vaarius other motorhome Europe guides including one especially for disabled.
Caravan Club have a Europe travel section.
Go for it.
Dennis
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 06:15 PM   #20
sandy
Approved Member

hey thats great dennis will be very useful