Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntington’s disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 21-01-16, 02:15 AM   #1
Ashyrose7
Approved Member

Default Appointment 3

Hello all!
I just got my appointment with the psychiatrist through, it's on the 3rd.
Any tips on how to manage this appointment? This appointment will be the deciding appointment for whether I'm "ready" for the test or not.
I really want to be able to handle it well so any tips would be appreciated.
Thank you
Ashy x
Ashyrose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-16, 11:56 AM   #2
shiraz
Approved Member

Default Re: Appointment 3

Hi AshyRose
I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on how to handle the appointment because Hubs didn't have any counselling he just said I don't need that, just give me the test....and they did. It was arranged for a month later. Of course he was symptomatic/older.

In that regard, if you are sure, stick to your guns and just tell them you have made your decision. Good luck. x
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-16, 11:22 PM   #3
Melody
Approved Member

Hiya Ashyrose,

You seem to be having a tough time with the counselling process, but it is there for a reason. However prepared we think we are, a positive result is really hard and of course life changing.

Hubby was also referred to see a psychiatrist during the process as he had suicidal episodes before he went into the testing process.

He went to that on his own (at their request) although I went to all other counselling sessions with him. I obviously don't know what went on but I saw the written report and it seems to me they wanted to make sure he was able to cope with a positive result... It stated he made eye contact, was clear on his reasons for wanting to test... that sort of thing.

So I can only say that you should stay calm, reassure as to why you want to test and why living with not knowing is harder for you.

I really hope it all works out for you.

Take care. x
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-16, 01:51 AM   #4
Ashyrose7
Approved Member

Thanks Melody
I was referred to the psychiatrist because I had Post Natal Depression twice and I got a bit of depression when I moved out of my parents into a house on my own with just my children.

I have been asked to take someone with me, weird.. They're pretty adamant I always have someone with me.
Thank you for letting me know. I always struggle with eye contact. Especially with people I don't know.. I'll work on that.
I'm sure it will be fine. I just worry :)
I'll keep you updated
Ashy x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
Hiya Ashyrose,

You seem to be having a tough time with the counselling process, but it is there for a reason. However prepared we think we are, a positive result is really hard and of course life changing.

Hubby was also referred to see a psychiatrist during the process as he had suicidal episodes before he went into the testing process.

He went to that on his own (at their request) although I went to all other counselling sessions with him. I obviously don't know what went on but I saw the written report and it seems to me they wanted to make sure he was able to cope with a positive result... It stated he made eye contact, was clear on his reasons for wanting to test... that sort of thing.

So I can only say that you should stay calm, reassure as to why you want to test and why living with not knowing is harder for you.

I really hope it all works out for you.

Take care. x
Ashyrose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-16, 06:15 AM   #5
Markoson
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashyrose7 View Post
Hello all!
Any tips on how to manage this appointment? This appointment will be the deciding appointment for whether I'm "ready" for the test or not.
Thank you
Ashy x
Just be cool and face it.
Markoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-16, 10:36 PM   #6
murph524
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashyrose7 View Post
Hello all!
Thank you
Ashy x
Hi Ashyrose, It must have been about 14 or 15 years ago that me and the wife went in to get the test for HD, We were certain that we wanted to know the results, but we had to go through 4 or 5 councelling sessions before they would test, we came away at the end deciding we didn't want to know yet, we did it again in 2014 and the results for us were not good. They will sit you down and talk to you about your feelings and how it will affect you when you get your results, I know that the reason that we wanted to know was that our kids are growing up and we wanted to know for them. But just be yourself and they will put you at ease. Good luck.
murph524 is offline   Reply With Quote