Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Testing, or at risk

Testing, or at risk Discuss testing for Huntington’s disease, and living with the risk of HD

Old 18-03-16, 12:40 AM   #1
crystalmonger

Default Should I tell my family Im getting tested?

I am getting tested and was wondering if I should tell my whole family I'm getting tested? I would usually want to spare them from any pain and not involve them but have been thinking maybe it's my turn to lean on them. What do I do?
crystalmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 11:04 AM   #2
shiraz
Approved Member

Default Re: Should I tell my family Im getting tested?

That's a difficult question....it all comes down to you knowing yourself best and your family and their circumstances/what their reaction would likely be. Some people want the support of a close friend, others don't want to involve family, others just involve their partner. Some go through it alone coz they cope better that way and don't want friends to know. It's a dilemma only you can address. If you have siblings who are also at risk but untested then they might feel like a whole can of worms is being opened up....and they are being forced to confront their own fears kind of thing before they are ready. Go with your heart...and of course, good luck with your test. When is it? Have you had counselling, and raised this question?
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 01:08 PM   #3
Cupcake
Approved Member

I agree with Shiraz it is your own personal choice, please make sure you get the counselling as it is a big secret to bear on your own, if your test positive. I am wondering if your family hide from the HD, if it is something you don't feel comfortable with discussing.

Good luck xxxx and keep us posted.
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 08:43 PM   #4
Lizerd
Approved Member

Like the others have said it your choice, every family communicates and supports each other in different ways- or not at all. It was unclear if this is a new issue within your family so you have to also understand they are going through some stuff too possibly.
The genetic counselling takes some time I believe (just doing it myself now) so you could start the process and see how it makes you think about it all- you might want/need help to deal with it
Hope it all goes well with whatever you decide

Lizerd x
Lizerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-16, 07:04 PM   #5
oshea
Approved Member

It so hard to decide who to let in your inner circle.
oshea is offline   Reply With Quote