Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123


Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis

Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis Forum for medical issues, and for the recently diagnosed (and families)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-02-16, 01:23 AM   #1
LECS
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 214
Default To medicate or not, that's the question?

Following my visit to clinic the professional from Addenbrookes has written to my GP suggesting medication should I turn up at the surgery asking for it. When pressed my GP couldn't say if she agreed or disagreed with the suggestion but Gary felt that she was more in the it's not a good idea camp due to my previous intolerance to earlier attempts even though she has been told that this is a new drug not in the 3 families of drugs I have already tried. She said she felt it was trying something for the sake of it because she had no other answer, charming!... and I have been reconsidering the idea of late because I felt maybe I should try again. Whilst discussing it with Gary I suddenly remembered when I was diagnosed by the supposedly top psychologist as manic depressive several years ago I visited my GP to get the medication she recommended (a different surgery to my current one) and the GP asked how I was coping and I said I was managing and he said his recommendation was not to take the medication the psychologist had advised 'because I would be chewing my tongue'. I didn't remember this when at Addenbrookes, probably just as well. The medication I tried exaberated my symptoms and I became a danger to self and others in an incredibly short time hence the reason I stopped. In my case two different GPs haven't wholeheartedly supported the advice of the more specialised? professionals, inconsistencies like this doesn't help the patient or their family.
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 02:20 AM   #2
Melody
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: South East
Posts: 341
Default Re: To medicate or not, that's the question?

Hi Lily

To be honest only you can decide whether to try this new medication.

My own thoughts are, nothing ventured, nothing gained. As they are in a completely different family of medicines from the ones that had an adverse effect on you, why not give it a go?... It could well improve things for you and if it doesn't, you can stop taking them.

Wishing you all the best.

Take care. x
Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 01:08 PM   #3
Gabby
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 351
Default Re: To medicate or not, that's the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LECS View Post
Following my visit to clinic the professional from Addenbrookes has written to my GP suggesting medication should I turn up at the surgery asking for it. When pressed my GP couldn't say if she agreed or disagreed with the suggestion but Gary felt that she was more in the it's not a good idea camp due to my previous intolerance to earlier attempts even though she has been told that this is a new drug not in the 3 families of drugs I have already tried. She said she felt it was trying something for the sake of it because she had no other answer, charming!... and I have been reconsidering the idea of late because I felt maybe I should try again. Whilst discussing it with Gary I suddenly remembered when I was diagnosed by the supposedly top psychologist as manic depressive several years ago I visited my GP to get the medication she recommended (a different surgery to my current one) and the GP asked how I was coping and I said I was managing and he said his recommendation was not to take the medication the psychologist had advised 'because I would be chewing my tongue'. I didn't remember this when at Addenbrookes, probably just as well. The medication I tried exaberated my symptoms and I became a danger to self and others in an incredibly short time hence the reason I stopped. In my case two different GPs haven't wholeheartedly supported the advice of the more specialised? professionals, inconsistencies like this doesn't help the patient or their family.

we found Gp was not necessarily receptive to the neurologist advise the GP considered his role just to be treating my hubbies "LOW MOOD" where the
neuro had suggested that he was no longer fit for work . The GP thought he could treat ti and get him back to work . Again its because the GPS are not familiar enough with HD . If Neurologist recommends a medication it's worth a try as Melody has already said . They will have checked previous meds you had been
on . good luck

Gabby xx
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 01:14 PM   #4
shiraz
Approved Member
 
shiraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 885
Default Re: To medicate or not, that's the question?

Hi Lily...
All I can say is that Hubs was on two meds that really did not suit him - made him worse - but is now on two that have helped him soo much. It is all about making your life happier and so, from that aspect, I'm in the I would give it a go camp!!
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-16, 02:26 AM   #5
Allan
Approved Member
 
Allan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, UK
Posts: 1,126
Default Re: To medicate or not, that's the question?

.
Hi Lily
Can you tell us the name of the "new medication"?

GP's have become drug dealers - first thing my GP does when I have an appointment is get out his book of drugs with a list of the drug barons [pharmaceutical companies] who supply them. He looks through the price list and offers me the cheapest.

.
__________________
New Day; New Outlook; New Challenges; New Possibilities; New Outcomes; New Successes
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-16, 04:51 AM   #6
Shinelily
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Default Re: To medicate or not, that's the question?

Yes, I agree with Melody. It's up to you actually. Listen to your heart!
Shinelily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-16, 12:01 PM   #7
LECS
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 214
Default Re: To medicate or not, that's the question?

Sorry Allan. Due to the fact I can't see or speak to my GP she speaks to Gary and because between them they decided not to prescribe to me I have no idea what it is. My GP does put herself out and regularly calls Gary and has written to social services asking for a care plan to be introduced, not heard anything yet but I take from that if she thought the medication would make a difference she would recommend Gary persuaded me to take and she did not, so I'm not but I will find out. I've had no letter from Addenbrookes following my appointment in clinic you would think that if it was her recommendation and she believed it would help she would write to me. From my side of the fence it staggers me that a professional working in HD does not put herself out to try to find a way to keep the lines of communication open with the patient. Eg I'm sorry I caused you pain on your visit to clinic but it is in my medical opinion that you would benefit from taking this medication and if you would like to come back for a full consultation that would be good...or something similar? On receipt I would probably shove it in my file but written well I would consider it. Hey ho. Best wishes Lily
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-16, 11:48 AM   #8
LECS
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 214
Default Re: To medicate or not, that's the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
.
Hi Lily
Can you tell us the name of the "new medication"?

GP's have become drug dealers - first thing my GP does when I have an appointment is get out his book of drugs with a list of the drug barons [pharmaceutical companies] who supply them. He looks through the price list and offers me the cheapest.

.
Hi Allan. I've found out, it's not new or different it's fluoxetine, I tried it in April 2011 and if she had checked her notes she would have known that and how badly it affected me. It heightened my desire to take my own life and cause physical harm to my nearest and dearest, in truth I felt possessed and that's why I stopped taking it. In her correspondence with Gary she mentions citalopram and venlafaxine as alternatives, I tried these in Jan 2008 and had the same side effects. I understand when starting medication that things can settle down but I felt so out of control and a danger to self and others that I said never again. It was decided that I am uber sensitive to medication and best to leave it alone in my case. She made me feel I wasn't prepared to accept the help that medication can give and saying the word 'new' which she did was very unprofessional and misleading. Until there is something 'new' I will remain unmedicated. Best wishes to you. Lily
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-16, 12:11 PM   #9
charliegirl
Approved Member
 
charliegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 111
Default Re: To medicate or not, that's the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LECS View Post
Hi Allan. I've found out, it's not new or different it's fluoxetine, I tried it in April 2011 and if she had checked her notes she would have known that and how badly it affected me. It heightened my desire to take my own life and cause physical harm to my nearest and dearest, in truth I felt possessed and that's why I stopped taking it. In her correspondence with Gary she mentions citalopram and venlafaxine as alternatives, I tried these in Jan 2008 and had the same side effects. I understand when starting medication that things can settle down but I felt so out of control and a danger to self and others that I said never again. It was decided that I am uber sensitive to medication and best to leave it alone in my case. She made me feel I wasn't prepared to accept the help that medication can give and saying the word 'new' which she did was very unprofessional and misleading. Until there is something 'new' I will remain unmedicated. Best wishes to you. Lily
Hi lily - my heart goes out to you. Its wrong to mislead you reagarding meds - its meant to be about trust and honesty not a form of giving meds covertly. I have been on citalopram - now on sertraline. I too have felt soo depressed - wanted to die and the meds can increase it to a very scary level then it settles but it is very frightening ! Its a roller coaster ride really - i think the meds take the edge off mostly . I hope you find a resolution , big hugs, charliegirl 🐶 xx
__________________
"Just keep swimming !"
charliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-16, 07:42 PM   #10
LECS
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 214
Default Re: To medicate or not, that's the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
Hi lily - my heart goes out to you. Its wrong to mislead you reagarding meds - its meant to be about trust and honesty not a form of giving meds covertly. I have been on citalopram - now on sertraline. I too have felt soo depressed - wanted to die and the meds can increase it to a very scary level then it settles but it is very frightening ! Its a roller coaster ride really - i think the meds take the edge off mostly . I hope you find a resolution , big hugs, charliegirl 🐶 xx
Thanks Charliegirl. The problem seems to be the 'settling period' and my experience of care shown to me as a patient has fallen very short of what I think it should be, so I don't trust mixing in medication and the fact no one is with me whilst I'm getting used to the medication.
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:25 AM.


About the HDA Message Board

A UK-based forum for people whose lives are affected by Huntington's disease and wish to share their experiences with others. Moderated by SHDAs from the HDA, a UK registered charity.

Please Remember

The HDA Message Board is not a substitute for professional advice. Consult a relevant professional before making decisions that could affect you or others.

Donate to HDA


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Registered Charity No. 296453. Website Content © HDA 2010

HDA