Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis

Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis Forum for medical issues, and for the recently diagnosed (and families)

Old 18-05-16, 01:39 PM   #1
lammie002
Approved Member

Default Tablets for aggression

Hello just looking at what other people think my step dad early stages of hd really struggles with his temper and depression what medications have people used he has been on amitriptiline 40mg daily tho i feel these are nno good
lammie002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 02:10 PM   #2
lammie002
Approved Member

Default Re: Tablets for aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammie002 View Post
Hello just looking at what other people think my step dad early stages of hd really struggles with his temper and depression what medications have people used he has been on fluoxtine 40mg daily tho i feel these are nno good
i mean
Fluoxtine 40mg daily
lammie002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 06:37 PM   #3
Gabby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammie002 View Post
i mean
Fluoxtine 40mg daily
Hi
My hubbie takes Fluoxetine 60mg and they suit but its not a one tablet fits all so may not suit everyone .. some my hubbie tried before this one sent him in the other direction and made him worse if he feels agitated most of time either mention to doctor to see if he can try something else , or it may be worth getting an appointment with his consultant neurologist .

Good luck
Gabby
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-16, 10:51 AM   #4
shiraz
Approved Member

It's kind of like a pick and mix - what suits and is effective to one person ain't always good for another. Here we have had a couple that made things worse and caused severe depresssion but are now on Mirtazapine and Olanzapine with the doses being upped along the way. But they have had a beneficial effect. It is pretty much trial and error, but if something doesn't seem to be doing anything...back to the doctors you must go.
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-16, 12:23 PM   #5
Allan
Approved Member

Hi there Lammie

Amitriptyline is an antidepressant drug of the tricyclic group, with a mild tranquillizing action.

Fluoxetine [also known as Prozac and Sarafem among others] is an antidepressant. It is used for the treatment of major depressive disorder, obsessive–compulsive disorder [OCD], bulimia nervosa, panic disorder, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. It may decrease the risk of suicide in those over the age of 65 [?]. Fluoxetine has also been used to treat premature ejaculation.

Common side effects include trouble sleeping, loss of appetite, dry mouth, rash, and abnormal dreams. Serious side effects include serotonin syndrome, mania, seizures, an increased risk of suicidal behaviour in people under 25 years old [?], and an increased risk of bleeding. If stopped suddenly a withdrawal syndrome may occur with anxiety, dizziness, and changes in sensation.

Now, I'm just gathering this from other sources. Here's a couple more:

Citalopram [also known as Citilipram, Cipramil and Celexa] is used to treat major depression in the initial phase to relieve symptoms of depressive illness, including anxiety, loss of interest in usual activities, disturbed sleep, change in appetite, fatigue, feelings of worthlessness or guilt, difficulty thinking or concentrating, and recurrent thoughts of suicide.

Clonazepam [Klonopin] is a medication used to prevent and treat seizures, panic disorder, and for the movement disorder known as akathisia. It is a tranquilizer of the benzodiazepine class. It begins having an effect within an hour and lasts between six and 12 hours. Common side effects include sleepiness, poor coordination, and agitation. It may increase risk of suicide. Long-term use may result in tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal symptoms if stopped.

Then there's this biggy:

Alimemazine also known as Trimeprazine: brand names Nedeltran, Panectyl, Repeltin, Therafene, Theraligene, Theralen, Theralene, Vallergan, Vanectyl, and Temaril). It is a phenothiazine derivative that is used as an anti-pruritic [it prevents itching from causes such as eczema or poison ivy, by acting as an antihistamine]. It also acts as a sedative, hypnotic, and anti-emetic for prevention of motion sickness.

In Russia, it is marketed under the brand name Teraligen for the treatment of anxiety disorders [including GAD], organic mood disorders, sleep disturbances, personality disorders accompanied by asthenia and depression, somatoform autonomic dysfunction and various neuroses.

Every therapeutic medication seems to affect each hd-individual in a different way and when you read all the above bumph about each one you begin to wonder "which one will work positively for my hd-family member?" So, even the Doc doesn't know for sure but he\she is your best bet.

What I could have said in 4 words is: Go see a doctor.

Best wishes

Old 15-06-16, 11:14 AM   #6
delta18kdy

Im the same ive been on Venlafaxine (Anti-Depressant) For Deppression
And Rispiridone (Anti-Psychotic) For anger

Speak to His GP or Consultant and ask for these
delta18kdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 06:48 PM   #7
Lablover
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta18kdy View Post
Im the same ive been on Venlafaxine (Anti-Depressant) For Deppression
And Rispiridone (Anti-Psychotic) For anger

Speak to His GP or Consultant and ask for these
My family and I are just entering the field of meds'

! Good to hear that there are so many that may help
Lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-16, 09:37 PM   #8
nicolann
Approved Member

Hi

My hubby started to become very angry and aggressive.

He would lash out, shout and basically throw his weight around.

He takes 25mg of sertraline daily. It was amazing for him, we are now at the stage where I feel it needs to be increased. However he hates taking medication.

We are starting to plant the seed about increasing the dosage and I feel he needs something to help with his movements as he is becoming very unsteady. He has a very angry twitches in his arms, the other day it happened when we was eating and I ended up with a face full of spaghetti bolognese.

What are others taking for this, and what the side effects.
nicolann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-16, 09:45 PM   #9
banda
Approved Member

Hubby takes sertraline....been very good for reducing anxiety...he is much easier to live with! Not to do with aggression but just anxiety about everything, question after question etc. Also takes 2.5 mg olanzapine...we have reduced it from 5mg due to weight gain but feel he needs something stronger for the chorea...will be asking for a different tablet...?? But hubby dislikes tablets and it can take a long time to achieve any changes/increase.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-16, 10:02 PM   #10
nicolann
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
Hubby takes sertraline....been very good for reducing anxiety...he is much easier to live with! Not to do with aggression but just anxiety about everything, question after question etc. Also takes 2.5 mg olanzapine...we have reduced it from 5mg due to weight gain but feel he needs something stronger for the chorea...will be asking for a different tablet...?? But hubby dislikes tablets and it can take a long time to achieve any changes/increase.
My hubby is the same, it will take months for us to introduce new medication.

He is consently asking questions and looking for reassurance, I we can increase his sertraline to help this as it is exhausting me.
nicolann is offline   Reply With Quote