Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services

UK legal, insurance, employment, benefits, statutory services Advice offered by HDA Moderators relates to current UK law or guidelines

Old 02-02-18, 02:50 AM   #1
Yvonne R
Approved Member

Default DLA Higher Rate Care and Mobility - Does this stop

I wonder if anyone can help me. My husband has HD and unfortunately has recently gone into a care home permanently. His placement is being jointly funded by the Council and NHS, with a contribution from my husband (half of a private pension). On going for the financial assessment, carried out by the Council, I was told that the higher rate care part of his DLA would stop but that he would continue to receive the higher rate mobility part of his DLA. On telephoning the DWP to advise them that he was now in a care home and it was being jointly funded they told me that he would not be paid any DLA at all and would not get the higher rate mobility part of the DLA.

Does anyone know if this is correct.
Yvonne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 09:46 AM   #2
banda
Approved Member

Default Re: DLA Higher Rate Care and Mobility - Does this stop

I don't know but they can make mistakes so just appeal...it is very easy to do ....alternatively get in touch with age concern I find they are very knowledgeable about benefits. xx
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 01:29 PM   #3
Allan
Approved Member

Hi Yvonne

I’m going through a similar predicament with my son who is being supported and cared for in his own home. The County Council are demanding that he pays towards his Care - but they use a baffling system that includes MIG [Minimum Income Guarantee] and DRE [Disability Related Expenditure].

His DLA Higher Rate Mobility income is safe as it’s for getting around and travelling. They are, however, demanding that he pays a specific sum towards his County Council Care bill from his DLA Middle Rate Care income. Being the Financial arm of Social Services they haven’t a clue about the domestic needs of an individual with HD. They just seem to lump everyone together in the same disabled category and all they want to scrutinise are bills and receipts. I want them to visit him at home just to see how his benefits are being used to help him live an “independent” life. All they seem able to communicate with is phone and email.

I suppose the DWP assumption for your husband is that 1) he won’t be doing any taxi, train, etc. travelling and 2) his complete Care package is managed within the Care Home.

I would also guess, and it is only a guess, that your council can now claim that DLA Care money on behalf of your husband. Also, that the DWP assume that there are no Mobility issues as he is “confined” to a Care Home.

Best wishes

Old 02-02-18, 04:52 PM   #4
jaq
Approved Member

I thought you could still get the mobility component even when in scare facility buthasbee something the government wanted to stop .

If you have a special care advisor they should hopefully be up to date with the latest benefits law

Jaq x
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 05:05 PM   #5
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaq View Post
I thought you could still get the mobility component even when in scare facility buthasbee something the government wanted to stop .

If you have a special care advisor they should hopefully be up to date with the latest benefits law

Jaq x

I agree with Jaq that it's best to check with someone up to date with legislation. The SHAs at HDA should hopefully have full knowledge where I think they get training when there are changes.

Looking on-line at TURN2US

It says
Quote:
'if your care homes fees are paid in full or part by the local authority, National Health Service (NHS) or other public funds, payment of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component, Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component or Attendance Allowance (AA) will stop after you have been in a care home for 28 days.
Do double check though...
Old 05-02-18, 12:04 AM   #6
Annie
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne R View Post
I wonder if anyone can help me. My husband has HD and unfortunately has recently gone into a care home permanently. His placement is being jointly funded by the Council and NHS, with a contribution from my husband (half of a private pension). On going for the financial assessment, carried out by the Council, I was told that the higher rate care part of his DLA would stop but that he would continue to receive the higher rate mobility part of his DLA. On telephoning the DWP to advise them that he was now in a care home and it was being jointly funded they told me that he would not be paid any DLA at all and would not get the higher rate mobility part of the DLA.

Does anyone know if this is correct.
Yep, the care component of PIP / DLA stops , covered by the council contribution to care home. My husband continued to receive the mobility part - to enable him to pay for support to travel ( eg our car) - to maintain his independance...until the Care Home decided he was too complex > admitted to hospital for 11 weeks, then a Nursing Home much further away. The rules state we lose all PIP mobility payments! The kids and I need a car even more to visit , and he needs access to it to have any quality of life and to remain mobile. His Nursing Home is paid by NHS. I think there are lots of variables.
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote