Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis

Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis Forum for medical issues, and for the recently diagnosed (and families)

Old 10-10-15, 11:39 AM   #1
Gabby
Approved Member

Default Talking therapies

Just wondering if anyone else with HD has had/ been referred for talking therapy/ talking health . My hubbies GP is trying to get him to go . I have recently done a 4 week stress workshop with them and while it was helpful for me not sure if it will be same for him .
This GP recently doubled his antidepressant medication and talked about change in the weather making people feel worse !!

Any thoughts

thank you for reading

Gabby x
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-15, 10:48 PM   #2
toosh
Approved Member

Default Re: Talking therapies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Just wondering if anyone else with HD has had/ been referred for talking therapy/ talking health . My hubbies GP is trying to get him to go . I have recently done a 4 week stress workshop with them and while it was helpful for me not sure if it will be same for him .
This GP recently doubled his antidepressant medication and talked about change in the weather making people feel worse !!

Any thoughts

thank you for reading

Gabby x
Hi Gabby

Personally I would give it a go.
My hubby had no counselling before his test because he was symptomatic. I tried to get him something similar in the hope he eould open up about his feelings. Sadly didn't get anything. Go for it
Toosh
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-15, 06:24 PM   #3
Gabby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosh View Post
Hi Gabby

Personally I would give it a go.
My hubby had no counselling before his test because he was symptomatic. I tried to get him something similar in the hope he eould open up about his feelings. Sadly didn't get anything. Go for it
Toosh
Thank you Toosh
he is going to go i think if i can go with him . We had some counselling prior to testing and this is 7 years on and he is now symptomatic . so wasn't sure if the depression side could be helped with talking therapy now !
Old 15-10-15, 08:52 AM   #4
shiraz
Approved Member

Hi Gabby
If your husband is up for it then anything that addresses his depression is worth a try. The worst that can happen is that he goes once and won't go back. I think it's Nicholann and her husband who go to group meetings once every few months and her husband went from not wanting to to finding it enjoyable.

There is deffo something in the cold dark nights and grey windy days though that causes us to feel a bit down - Seasonal Affective Disorder - SAD, sounds daft but it is true. Don't think you could use it as a valid excuse for staying off school or throwing a sickie at work!!
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-15, 06:29 PM   #5
Gabby
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
Hi Gabby
If your husband is up for it then anything that addresses his depression is worth a try. The worst that can happen is that he goes once and won't go back. I think it's Nicholann and her husband who go to group meetings once every few months and her husband went from not wanting to to finding it enjoyable.

There is deffo something in the cold dark nights and grey windy days though that causes us to feel a bit down - Seasonal Affective Disorder - SAD, sounds daft but it is true. Don't think you could use it as a valid excuse for staying off school or throwing a sickie at work!!
lol thank you Shiraz yeah anything's worth a go .. shame i can't use SAD never mind i have a week left then a week off
Old 07-01-16, 07:28 PM   #6
Gabby
Approved Member

Dr Armstrong has put Hubbie in touch with Aileen Ho a Psychologist for HD specific talking therapy she asked what i though as I had been through talking therapies all be it the stress workshop on why HD specific would be more useful my reply

. Generic counselling would not be aware how the HD brain works
. They would not understand you can't change the way a HD person thinks
. The Therapy itself may cause stress
. The person may get stuck on one point .

I am sure there are others anyone else want to add to this list ?

take care
Old 08-01-16, 02:15 PM   #7
Allan
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Dr Armstrong has put Hubbie in touch with Aileen Ho a Psychologist for HD specific talking therapy
I’ve just “stumbled” across this:

‘‘If you really want to help somebody, first you must find out where he is. This is the true secret of caring … Helping somebody implies … [that] you must understand what he understands.’’

Then I looked the guy up and came across this: “People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not understanding me.

Soren Kierkegaard

I arrived at this point because of Aileen Ho, mentioned above by Gabby. To me, Aileen Ho is one of the very few professionals in the HD field who truly grasps the whole disease, understands the hd-person, the individual behind the hd-mask. Read on …… [You don’t have to read it all to get the general idea]

Impact of Huntington’s across the entire disease spectrum: the phases and stages of disease from the patient perspective

HEALTH AND HAPPINESS: MEASURING WELLBEING IN HUNTINGTON’S DISEASE

Health-related quality of life in Huntington’s disease patients: a comparison of proxy assessment and patient self-rating using the disease-specific Huntington’s disease health-related quality of life questionnaire (HDQoL) [This is a bit scientifically heavy - but you can get the gist.]

Quality of Life & Huntington’s disease

HDQoL: The Huntington's Disease health-related Quality of Life questionnaire

The greatest hazard of all, losing one’s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed.

Soren Kierkegaard

Old 08-01-16, 06:49 PM   #8
Gabby
Approved Member

Thanks Allan she is great going to come to our support group and do a talk also . We actually did the questionaire to compare hd patient and carers perspective of the disease at different stages Aileen ho said it shows that the later the stage the more different the answers are on how the disease is affecting the patient comparing patient and carers answers .

take care
Gabby
Old 29-01-16, 08:28 AM   #9
thomas.m

so how is everything going now?
thomas.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-16, 01:43 AM   #10
toosh
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
I’ve just “stumbled” across this:

‘‘If you really want to help somebody, first you must find out where he is. This is the true secret of caring … Helping somebody implies … [that] you must understand what he understands.’’

Then I looked the guy up and came across this: “People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not understanding me.

Soren Kierkegaard

I arrived at this point because of Aileen Ho, mentioned above by Gabby. To me, Aileen Ho is one of the very few professionals in the HD field who truly grasps the whole disease, understands the hd-person, the individual behind the hd-mask. Read on …… [You don’t have to read it all to get the general idea]

Impact of Huntington’s across the entire disease spectrum: the phases and stages of disease from the patient perspective

HEALTH AND HAPPINESS: MEASURING WELLBEING IN HUNTINGTON’S DISEASE

Health-related quality of life in Huntington’s disease patients: a comparison of proxy assessment and patient self-rating using the disease-specific Huntington’s disease health-related quality of life questionnaire (HDQoL) [This is a bit scientifically heavy - but you can get the gist.]

Quality of Life & Huntington’s disease

HDQoL: The Huntington's Disease health-related Quality of Life questionnaire

The greatest hazard of all, losing one’s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed.

Soren Kierkegaard

The HDQol Questionaire is interesting. Not seen it before. Do you know who completes them and who analyses the data ftom them? Wonder if its the European HD network?
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote