Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis

Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis Forum for medical issues, and for the recently diagnosed (and families)

Old 21-02-18, 10:13 AM   #1
charliegirl
Approved Member

Default Research

Hi . Wanted to share this - if people have already read it just ignore it😐but I found this interesting on a simplified level. Many of us who have the gene and have experience of family members with the gene have stories and experiences to highlight that hd is there - way before the current time that a Consultant will agree that the gene is affecting a persons life . I have always found this really frustrating as I feel like I am either exaggerating or making it up ! But it’s all fact I do understand tho that if it can’t be proved by science the Consultant can’t say that the issues are HD . As HD has changed way before the time line currently being accepted by many consultants because if the science isn’t there they won’t medically say it’s HD .
I am not having a go at Consultants - I respect mine so much and I respect the research and science so much - but families do often have different stories than science. Lv Charlie girl 🐶 keep plodding on HD family xx thanks again to all the fab Professionals involved in research and who work with families with HD xx

Rare disease research -
In the study, early abnormalities were found in the structure of neurons, as were large masses within cells that had never previously been reported. These findings are noteworthy considering that the disease doesn’t typically present until a patient reaches his or her middle age years. The data could lead to future clinical trials designed to evaluate new approaches and potentially effective therapies for HD patients.

“Our research supports the idea that the first domino is pushed soon after fertilization, and that has consequences down the line. The final domino falls decades after birth, when the symptoms are observable,” said Dr Brivanlou in a statement.

The CRISPR gene-editing technology was used in the engineering of human embryonic stem cell lines identical aside from the number of DNA repeats that occurred at the ends of their HTT genes.

"We started seeing things that were completely unexpected," says Brivanlou. "In cell lines with mutated HTT, we saw giant cells. It looked like a jungle of disorganization. Our work adds to the evidence that there is an unrecognized developmental aspect to the pathology. Huntington's may not be just a neurodegenerative disease, but also a neurodevelopmental disease."

Typically, when cells divide, they each retain one nuclei, however, some of the enlarged mutated cells displayed up to 12 nuclei, proposing that the generation of new neurons (neurogenesis) was effected. The more repeats there were, the more multinucleated neurons appeared, confirming that the disruption was directly proportional to how many repeats were present in the mutation.

While, historically, treatments for HD have mostly been aimed at blocking the activity of the mutant HTT protein, the recent data suggests that the brain disruption could possibly be due to a lack of HTT protein activity. Thus, the researchers created cell lines that completely lacked the HTT protein, which ended up presenting very similarly to those with HD pathology. It was concluded that the idea that a lack of the protein – not an excess of it – is driving the disease.

Before the study, scientists were unsure of the purpose of the HTT gene and could not predict cellular effects of the mutations. The findings are significant in that they led the researchers to believe that existing treatments, therapies that block HTT protein activity, may be doing more harm than good.

"We should rethink our approach to treating Huntington's,” Brivanlou said. "Both the role of the HTT protein and the timing of treatment need to be reconsidered; by the time a patient is displaying symptoms, it may be too late to medicate. We need to go back to the earliest events that trigger the chain reaction that ultimately results in disease so we can focus new therapies on the cause, not the consequences."

For more breakthroughs in the Huntington’s disease community, follow Rare Disease Report on Facebook and Twitter.
Old 21-02-18, 03:00 PM   #2
Allan
Approved Member

Default Research and e-search

Hi Charliegirl

I fully agree with you. It’s often as though the medical professionals are blinkered and can’t see what’s passing them by on the sidelines - tunnel vision for their own research. Or they are travelling along the motorway in the fast lane with little recognition of the family vehicles travelling in the slow lane. I’ve read this report but I haven’t begun to understand the science yet. It’s obviously very complex.

There hasn’t been much research done relating to “the explanations of family members”. What little there is seems to be from Poland and Scandinavia.

Looking back 15 years and more it’s been remembered and recognized that my son was displaying emotional and behavioural issues beyond the norm for a teenager. A few years later his walking gait became splayed and his movement awkward. But no one - medical or family - had the full knowledge to be able to give these separate “faults” as a diagnosis of HD. Indeed, when he was eventually seen at the NHNN Queen Square he was tested for a variety of diseases including CJD [Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease].

Being a CAG 35 guy I have my own very specific but non-scientific views about other “indicators” for HD-type symptoms in people who don’t, officially or scientifically, have the disease. It’s as though I have a slight cold but won’t develop full-blown flu - or worse.

Here’s some additional stuff:

The actual report: Uncovering the early origins of Huntington's disease

A 7 minute interview with the principal scientist: Huntington’s Disease Makes Its Mark Early On

and the HDBuzz response: An early role for the Huntington's disease gene – but don't believe all the headlines

Old 01-03-18, 06:26 PM   #3
LECS
Approved Member

Default Re: Research

Hi Charlie girl. I have written and shouted your sentence, “I have always found this really frustrating as I feel like I am either exaggerating or making it up” many many times and I just wanted to say that you keep on saying it as many times as you need to. My own HD story has not changed for over fifteen years and I still cannot get others to understand what it’s like in my head. Consultants and Scientists don’t understand the drip drip effect that HD causes, I can go back twenty years when I held down a job and see that an ‘episode’ was caused by my faulty thinking. What we need to do is keep informing, keep banging the same drum, retelling your story over and until ‘the clever people’ get the knowledge that they need. I believed I have been excruciatingly slowly on the demise since birth and I believe the cause of this has been due to HD. I now believe that it’s actually impossible to exaggerate because you wouldn’t be able to tell the story unless you knew it and you can’t make up what you know is happening to you, so you carry on, you are doing fine. ‘A jungle of disorientation’ Brivanlou says, that’s my head, I feel physically out of sync with whatever and whomever I come across, daily so I just wing it. Best wishes Lily
LECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 01:30 AM   #4
charliegirl
Approved Member

Default Re: Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by LECS View Post
Hi Charlie girl. I have written and shouted your sentence, “I have always found this really frustrating as I feel like I am either exaggerating or making it up” many many times and I just wanted to say that you keep on saying it as many times as you need to. My own HD story has not changed for over fifteen years and I still cannot get others to understand what it’s like in my head. Consultants and Scientists don’t understand the drip drip effect that HD causes, I can go back twenty years when I held down a job and see that an ‘episode’ was caused by my faulty thinking. What we need to do is keep informing, keep banging the same drum, retelling your story over and until ‘the clever people’ get the knowledge that they need. I believed I have been excruciatingly slowly on the demise since birth and I believe the cause of this has been due to HD. I now believe that it’s actually impossible to exaggerate because you wouldn’t be able to tell the story unless you knew it and you can’t make up what you know is happening to you, so you carry on, you are doing fine. ‘A jungle of disorientation’ Brivanlou says, that’s my head, I feel physically out of sync with whatever and whomever I come across, daily so I just wing it. Best wishes Lily
Absolutely! Agree totally ... well put as well . Lv Charlie girl 🐶x