Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Carers, things that have helped

Carers, things that have helped Share your experiences of caring, and pass on practical advice and helpful tips

Old 11-11-16, 08:43 AM   #1
Joseharry
Approved Member

Default Radar Keys

Hi all,
Radar keys are keys which give access to disabled toilets.
There is a misconception that they are only available from local authorities upon proof of disability...however, you can buy them on Amazon for as little as £2 each if you don't want to go through the palaver of applying to the council.
Just a thought! X
Joseharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 11:29 PM   #2
toosh
Approved Member

Default Re: Radar Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseharry View Post
Hi all,
There is a misconception that they are only available from local authorities upon proof of disability...however, you can buy them on Amazon for as little as £2 each if you don't want to go through the palaver of applying to the council.
Just a thought! X
John Gregor from the HDA mentioned these to me yesterdsy. Have to say I hadn't heard of them but think would be useful with hubbs toilet obsessions at the mo
toosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 11:35 PM   #3
toosh
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi all,
Just a thought! X
John Gregor from the HDA mentioned these to me yesterdsy. Have to say I hadn't heard of them but think would be useful with hubbs toilet obsessions at the mo
Old 12-11-16, 11:20 AM   #4
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi all,
Just a thought! X
Many years ago I was in The Broadway (Bexleyheath Shopping Centre to those not familiar with the name). Long story short when I was trying to find an attendant to ask to open the Disabled Loo there was no one around.

By now I already had a well used explanation for people as to why Steve and me need to use the disabled loos on account of balance problems.

Anyhoo

Came to a point when I had to go to the Manager's Office and ask if they could send someone down to open the loo for us.

It was at that stage the very lovely Manager asked me why we didn't already have a key? When I said Steve wasn't yet in a wheelchair so I wasn't sure if we could merit one she explained the RADAR set up and pulled out a box of keys from the draw

She said anyone with need could buy one and she had authority to sell them to people. I think it cost me about £3 each at the time and I bought 2 to have a spare. I had to right our name and address in a log book she had but that was all.

I don't think I am overstating it when I say that day was one f the turning points for me and Steve in terms of making our travel so much easier and Steve accepting the loos better where he could see it wasn't another case of being considered disabled by the State. Effectively it was just like buying a normal key the ssame as anyone else could. Bless him, his denial was such that he thought we were pulling one over on the State as he was not that disabled in his own eyes

I was writing in my 2008 Blog about using the key on Llandudno Pier

Quote:
After coffee and biscuits in the little cafe’ next door, and a stop at the disabled loo (THANK GOD FOR RADAR KEYS!!) we headed back to the hotel and had a rest in the bar before our cab was due. On Tuesday we had needed to get a cab back to the hotel from the shops as it was clear Hubs was flagging. By chance I found a cab which was adapted for the disabled so I made sure to get the driver’s details for the trip back to the station
The loo was not only a place of need as it were, by having that space and shelter Steve was able to sit for a moment (fully clothed lol) and take his time to get his energy back and for me to get myself organised where I needed a moment to sort my bags given the amount of stuff we carers need to carry at such times.

A long while back I was working with Cath (HDA CEO) on giving input for The carer's Guide

We put in a bit about RADAR Keys but, from the looks of it, either carers are not getting copies given to them at the HDA AGM etc, not reading them, or simply don't know the Guide exists

Maybe it's time to do a new collaboartive HDA/Carer Guide or website?

See HERE for the current Guide. 'A Carer's Guide (PDF Download)

It certainly appears there needs to be more of an explanation around who can obtain RADAR Keys.
Old 12-11-16, 01:38 PM   #5
Allan
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
Well said Trish,
And to me, ahem! of course I know this is a peer to peer , this is a perfect time for the MODS to appear here with an input about RADAR keys.

I have a very weak bladder and the ladies always have queues so my RADAR is my godsend apart from Tenna's. Men I think wont know what Tenna's are of course.
It's what I keep in my back pocket and will just about pay for 3pints. Am I right?
Old 23-11-16, 05:07 AM   #6
toosh
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
It's what I keep in my back pocket and will just about pay for 3pints. Am I right?
Old 19-07-17, 09:47 PM   #7
Cupcake
Approved Member

Yes definitely worth having, we had a couple for Martin, one I kept in the car all of the time and one on Martins bunch of keys, only downside of the radar key is it is so long, and we ordered them off Amazon £2 each.
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote