Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 18-09-13, 06:13 PM   #1
jaq
Approved Member

Default Ulcer on tongue

Hi

I care for my brother and for some months he had had an ulcer / sore on his tongue which is not healing as he keeps catching it .

The dentist has been keeoing an eye on it and after the appointment today the dentist has decited to refer him for a hospital appointment to see if it is any thing more serious .

JUst wondered if anyone else has had problems with mouth ulcers and what if anything helped .

Many Thanks

Jaq
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-13, 08:40 PM   #2
Scooby
Approved Member

Default Re: Ulcer on tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaq View Post
Hi

I care for my brother and for some months he had had an ulcer / sore on his tongue which is not healing as he keeps catching it .

The dentist has been keeoing an eye on it and after the appointment today the dentist has decited to refer him for a hospital appointment to see if it is any thing more serious .

JUst wondered if anyone else has had problems with mouth ulcers and what if anything helped .

Many Thanks

Jaq
Hi Jaq

Jason used to get terrible mouth ulcers, they always looked to me like they were really sore and painful although he never complained about them. I think it may have had something to do with 'dry mouth' or so someone at the time suggested. I used to get an ulcer treatment from the chemist which was very good and cleared them up really quickly but they have taken it off the market since so I don't know if there is an alternative. there might be better treatments now as this was some years ago.

Good luck x

Sue x
Old 20-09-13, 11:08 AM   #3
jaq
Approved Member

Thanks

The over the counter stuff hasn't done much good and the one people recommend is discontinued . I got some small stoeroid tabs but hopeless as he can't keep his tongue still to hold it on the ulcer so just a waiting game now for the hospital to get in touch and maybe thay will have some ideas !
Old 20-09-13, 01:20 PM   #4
Scooby
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks

The over the counter stuff hasn't done much good and the one people recommend is discontinued . I got some small stoeroid tabs but hopeless as he can't keep his tongue still to hold it on the ulcer so just a waiting game now for the hospital to get in touch and maybe thay will have some ideas !

Hi Jaq, Adcortyl in orabase for mouth ulcers was the one used for Jason but I'm sure it was recommended by the dentist. Would have thought he would know if there is something as good or if anything has replaced it, he could have even give you a prescription for something. The Adcortyl was quite expensive for a tiny tube but you only needed a tiny amount. Hopefully the hospital will be more useful.
Sue xxx
Old 20-09-13, 08:15 PM   #5
jaq
Approved Member

Thanks

will look into tea tree but might be a bit harsh the orabase seems to be discontinued even though there is a lot of good reports . I am sure there must be something but noone suggested anything .

Am anxious about hospital as they dont understand the HD do they !

Have a good weekend

jaq
Old 21-09-13, 09:31 AM   #6
Scooby
Approved Member

Quote:
Thanks

will look into tea tree but might be a bit harsh the orabase seems to be discontinued even though there is a lot of good reports . I am sure there must be something but noone suggested anything .

Am anxious about hospital as they dont understand the HD do they !

Have a good weekend

jaq
You could try a different dentist jaq. If it was an NHS dentist then it might be an idea to see a private dentist. I know they should treat everyone the same but its like with dr's, if your paying they make more of an effort, well that's been my expereince unfortunately.

I suppose you have asked the pharmacist too?

I had to take Jason to dental hospital and so know what you mean. Apart from keeping you hanging around for hours seeing one person then the next and so on, our HDer's don't have the patience and don't understand why they have to wait around, makes them more aggitated and then can't sit still to be examined. Although Jason's case was more extreme (he knocked his teeth out in a fall which left him with bits of teeth that needed to come out), they had to sedate him in the end which was very traumatic.

Just trying to think of ways to save you having to go hospital.

Best wishes

Sue xxx
Old 04-03-15, 09:18 PM   #7
Prolent
Approved Member

an ulcer is actually a hole. A hole in your gum or tongue, wherever. It goes white because that white stuff is trying to cover the hole. and its caused by just germs lying around, so use mouthwash
Prolent is offline   Reply With Quote