Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 16-06-10, 01:47 PM   #1
Anita
Approved Member

Default Best place to buy supplements

I'm thinking about trying some of the recommended supplements. I'm HD+ but not symptomatic yet.

I keep reading that Blueberry's are good. Does anyone know where I can get a supplement. I don't really want to turn my back garden into a Blueberry field!
Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-10, 08:17 PM   #2
DH
Approved Member

Default Re: Best place to buy supplements

You only need a handful or so. I get them from the supermarket when they're on offer .

The best way to get your supplements is through just eating normal, decent food. Your 5 a day and all that. I'm a great beleiver in the fact that a proper balanced diet gives you all the nutrition you need. Cut out the refined sugar and processed foods and all that junk if that's what you eat, dig out the Deilia cook books that are hiding somewhere and use those. You may do all that anyway, in which case carry on!

You're right about the blueberries though; they are supposed to have various compounds that contribute to your brains' physical health. Oily fish are good "brain food" too. But just as important is to exercise the mind as well, keep learning, keep active in mind and body. Thinking of which, LadyC has a few threads on fitness and raising you BDNF (ask her, I've no idea what it means! )
Old 16-06-10, 09:59 PM   #3
Anita
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
You only need a handful or so. I get them from the supermarket when they're on offer .

The best way to get your supplements is through just eating normal, decent food. Your 5 a day and all that. I'm a great beleiver in the fact that a proper balanced diet gives you all the nutrition you need. Cut out the refined sugar and processed foods and all that junk if that's what you eat, dig out the Deilia cook books that are hiding somewhere and use those. You may do all that anyway, in which case carry on!

You're right about the blueberries though; they are supposed to have various compounds that contribute to your brains' physical health. Oily fish are good "brain food" too. But just as important is to exercise the mind as well, keep learning, keep active in mind and body. Thinking of which, LadyC has a few threads on fitness and raising you BDNF (ask her, I've no idea what it means! )
Yet more good advice from you.....thank you!! Tomorrow i'm off to buy brain boggling nintendo games, a wii fit and i'll picket the blueberry counter until they reduce them!

With a partner in the Army, i'm sure he'll be able to put me on a fitness reigeme that is second to none....I'll be doing Drill in the back garden before you know it! In all seriousness though, this is all very sound information and when I eventually calm down, I intend to make a few lifestyle changes which I probably should have done without being HD+
Old 16-06-10, 10:04 PM   #4
Anita
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycashel View Post
BDNF is important because it helps promote the growth of new brain cells and protects existing cells and its reduction is thought to be a major pathology in Huntington's disease.
http://hdlighthouse.org/research/bdn...s/1465BDNF.php
http://hdlighthouse.org/research/bdn...6bdnfmotor.php
The HD Lighthouse has a wealth of informative articles on all aspects of HD.

I eat my blueberries on porridge, i buy them frozen as i don't like the fresh ones, the skins are too tough for me, I zap them in the microwave and chuck them on my porridge. That is when i am being good and not eating marmite on toast.
Thanks for the links, I'll have a good look at them tomorrow. It's been a long day today and I don't think my brain can take any more!

Are Blueberry supplements just as good as eating the real thing?
Old 16-06-10, 10:19 PM   #5
DH
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita View Post
Are Blueberry supplements just as good as eating the real thing?
No idea.

Anyway, the healthy living thing is advocated on the HD Lighthouse site, an American website that is full of useful stuff. Having said that I find it quite a difficult web site to plough through, it just confuses me (although that's not difficult). As a starter, here's a link to their Healthy Triad... http://www.hdlighthouse.org/treatmen...ad/index.shtml

Now, I don't think they advocate beer or crisps as health food supplements but as I don't believe in taking risks I make sure I take plenty just in case.

Old 17-06-10, 01:09 PM   #6
Anita
Approved Member

Quote:
No idea.

Anyway, the healthy living thing is advocated on the HD Lighthouse site, an American website that is full of useful stuff. Having said that I find it quite a difficult web site to plough through, it just confuses me (although that's not difficult). As a starter, here's a link to their Healthy Triad... http://www.hdlighthouse.org/treatmen...ad/index.shtml

Now, I don't think they advocate beer or crisps as health food supplements but as I don't believe in taking risks I make sure I take plenty just in case.

Anyone, who's anyone knows that beer and crisps are the best food supplements bar none!

Thanks for the link, i'll get the trawler out and start wading through it.
Old 17-06-10, 07:50 PM   #7
Anita
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladycashel View Post
Beer and crisps? I prefer vodka and chocolate
Make mine a double and that goes for the chocolate too!
Old 17-06-10, 08:09 PM   #8
DH
Approved Member

Ah yes but vodka and chocolate are luxuries. Beer and crisps are staples.

Anyway, feeling anymore settled today or is the emotional roller coaster just getting into its stride?
Old 21-06-10, 11:52 AM   #9
Trish
Approved Member

Some people feel swimming with dolphins is a great therapy.

I personally favour the swimming with endorphins approach to life

'Sugar rush

"Time and again you've experienced the intense effects that food can have on your moods. Cakes, cookies, and fudge are known as pleasure foods not only because they delight your taste buds but because they can make you feel calm and happy - at least temporarily. This sugar induced sense of euphoria comes from several chemical mechanisms in your brain. First of all, the sheer pleasure of tasting a chocolate treat or powdery donut stimulates your brain's pleasure pathways and the release of dopamine and endorphins, the chemicals that makes you feel exhilarated. You also get a quick surge of energy as the sugar hits your bloodstream

Unfortunately, that energized feeling lasts only as long as the sugar rush. Once your blood-sugar levels drop (about an hour or two later), you're left feeling drained and out of sorts.You become an addict looking for another hit."

Trish ignores the last part of that thing she copied into here and opens another bar of Galaxy whilst reaching for the Pinot (other brands are available )
Old 22-06-10, 08:22 PM   #10
Anita
Approved Member

Quote:
Ah yes but vodka and chocolate are luxuries. Beer and crisps are staples.

Anyway, feeling anymore settled today or is the emotional roller coaster just getting into its stride?
Well you saw straight through me feeling more settled didn't you!!

Had a few really rubbish few days, but then I have to keep reminding myself that it is only early days.....ie 11 days!!

Roll on the days when I really do feel more positive and don't try and pull the wool over everyone's eyes. So to answer your question...I'm definately on the emotional roller coaster and can't seem to get off the ride!