Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 05-02-13, 03:36 PM   #1
we88family

Default Bringing up bile after food

Hello,

I am totally a newbie on here so hoping I am posting this on the right place.

Can anyone help or have recommendations on why my brother after eating keeps bring up a sticky bile. It's not the food he's eaten.

He is at the stage where all his food is in puree form and has been for a while but the last few weeks he seems to do a belch after food then brings up this substance. My Dad passed away with HD 4 years ago and this didn't happen to him.

Anyone else had this or can suggest how we can stop it please.

Many thanks
we88family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-13, 10:48 PM   #2
DH
Approved Member

Default Re: Bringing up bile after food

You need to see your GP about this. It sounds like a reflux problem, perhaps a hiatus hernia? Probably a medical issue rather than a HD related issue.
Old 06-02-13, 03:53 PM   #3
we88family

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
You need to see your GP about this. It sounds like a reflux problem, perhaps a hiatus hernia? Probably a medical issue rather than a HD related issue.
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
We are currently waiting for an appointment to get professional advice on this but thought in the meantime if anyone else had come across it they may have an idea of how to help but yes you are probably right thinking it being more medical then HD related.
we88family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-13, 10:08 AM   #4
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by we88family View Post
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
We are currently waiting for an appointment to get professional advice on this but thought in the meantime if anyone else had come across it they may have an idea of how to help but yes you are probably right thinking it being more medical then HD related.
Hi We

My hubby used to produce a lot of mucus. It was clearly mucus as opposed to bile but we managed to get him patches to dry him up so to speak. As with all treatments, they came with added side-effects so it was a case of trial and error working out how much and when etc. I can go into details later but that can wait.

I'm not sure your loved one's problem can wait until the appointment though. DH may be right that it is something that needs more urgent attention.

I'm not trying to scare you. God knows I moved hell and high water before going down the route of calling out a GP where Hubs was terrified of needles,strangers and hospitals. Hubs was still the smartest guy I knew even at late stage HD

If you don't want to get a GP involved again just yet, I know I was on practically first name terms with the guys at NHS Direct. Their number is HERE

NHS Direct provide a 24/7 service and are manned by Nurses and Drs. They were, for me, that stop gap between feeling I was a totally ignorant/over anxious carer and my needing a second opinion was in order.
Old 21-05-14, 06:40 AM   #5
Lupebanda

One problem was with me as I was getting a treatment, I was facing the side effects such as itching. It was feeling very irritated and my skin was getting red for some time.
Lupebanda is offline   Reply With Quote