Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 05-08-13, 10:14 AM   #1
jaq
Approved Member

Default Super loos

Hi

I wondered if any one has had one of the super loos fitted I think there is a couple of brands Geberit and Closomat . I did speak to someone at an AGM a coiple of years ago and they had one and found it useful and I was watching DIY SOS an dthey fitted one for a family where the man had motor neurone disease and they said they are good for people with dexterity problems etc

I suppose the seat may be an issue with the movements of Hd but presumably they must be fairly sturdy ?r

I iamgine they don't come cheap either so want to see if they are available via the occ health team .

Would be interested to know if anyone has one of these fitted and if they are any good and whether you got help funding it .

Many Thanks

Jaq
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 02:44 PM   #2
Trish
Approved Member

Default Re: Super loos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaq View Post
Hi

I wondered if any one has had one of the super loos fitted I think there is a couple of brands Geberit and Closomat . I did speak to someone at an AGM a coiple of years ago and they had one and found it useful and I was watching DIY SOS an dthey fitted one for a family where the man had motor neurone disease and they said they are good for people with dexterity problems etc

I suppose the seat may be an issue with the movements of Hd but presumably they must be fairly sturdy ?r

I iamgine they don't come cheap either so want to see if they are available via the occ health team .

Would be interested to know if anyone has one of these fitted and if they are any good and whether you got help funding it .

Many Thanks

Jaq
Hi Jaq

The OT mentioned a closomat for Steve and would have got one organised on social services. I decided not look into it as I was aware Steve would not have coped with the sensations of something like that. However, your bro is at an earlier stage than Steve was at the time so it could be an idea.

What I would say is it's one of those things worth trying to get the OT to supply. Those things are not cheap and it's not just the outlay. When things go wrong, if you buy in equipment yourself there is no support for maintenance and if the thing breaks/doesn't work out you will have to fund the repairs and plumbing etc
Old 18-11-14, 12:51 PM   #3
Kirsten
Approved Member

My experience of providing both is that the Closomats are better. They don't look as "normal" as the Gerberits, but they're better built. The handful of times I've arranged a Gerberit, they've broken within a few months. Gerberits are really a luxury toilet rather than a disability toilet, whereas Closomats were developed specifically for the disability market and they're much more durable. Having said that, next to nothing stands up to HD movements in the end!
Kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-14, 10:10 PM   #4
flobert
Approved Member

Hi there,

We had a closomat fitted, funded by a charity, for Meg. They are sturdy, the loo seats come with those little wings underneath so they can cope with movements. We've had the toilet a year and I've had to change the loo seat twice, because as the last poster said, nothing copes with HD for long. The loo seats and servicing are expensive...yes I did say servicing!! They do a padded toilet seat which really helped alleviate pressure sores. Meg liked it, probably too much as she spent hours on the bog. We managed to get her used to the cleaning aspects of the loo and that went well.

Closomats are really expensive but if you can afford it or find someone who'll pay then they are worth it.
flobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-15, 03:35 PM   #5
Prolent
Approved Member

I think one should not need to have diet plan but to eat smart only. Have a look on these fat burning foods and I think you're gonna find our favorite taste along health. :)
Prolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-15, 11:08 AM   #6
shiraz
Approved Member

Hi Prolent

I am confused by your post? As you have posted about dieting and losing weight under SuperLoos I'm thinking you must imagine these are required because someone is obese??

But that's not the case - it's because of the HD movements, lack of co-ordination and ability to control one's body. Loos, chairs, mattresses all take a battering.

If it's because you think a healthy diet would ease toilet problems as muscle control deteriorates, constipation can result and coupled with increasing problems surrounding eating/swallowing it becomes more and more difficult to find foods that are soft enough to eat.
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote