Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 08-11-13, 01:33 PM   #1
Allan
Approved Member

Default Food for Spork .......

I'm looking for a large spork [spoon\fork combo] for my son. They all seem to be too small for his needs, although it does mean that when he uses the one that he currently has he obviously takes small mouthfuls - which could be seen to be good. The online sporks for sale tend to be Ray Mears type camping sporks that fold in half - or those plastic ones which defeat the object of stabbing and grabbing food as the fork and spoon are at opposite ends.

Any ideas anyone?

He really needs one of those digger\grabber machines that you see on large building sites!
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 01:48 PM   #2
battersea
Approved Member

Default Re: Food for Spork .......

Hi
I bought this for my husband. He has got on really well with it. It is quite pricey but it is really sturdy and well made. I shopped around for the cheapest.
http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/di...Fa-WtAodRkwAzA
If this doesn't take you to the item, its called a KNORK FORK, put it in google and it comes up

S x
battersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 10:48 PM   #3
dennisw
Approved Member

Hi Viners do a one handed eating piece of cutlery called SPLADE, which is the combination of spoon, fork with edges that can cut softish food, even m
tender meat. We use them most of the time.
Google "SPLADE".
Not to expensive, £3.93 from Amazon.
Dennis
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 05:40 AM   #4
Cupcake
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battersea View Post
Hi
I bought this for my husband. He has got on really well with it. It is quite pricey but it is really sturdy and well made. I shopped around for the cheapest.
http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/di...Fa-WtAodRkwAzA
If this doesn't take you to the item, its called a KNORK FORK, put it in google and it comes up

S x
Had no idea these existed have just ordered one to try, thanks for info.
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 04:40 PM   #5
Allan
Approved Member

Thanks for your responses. I know what we are looking for but it's just not out there - we are searching for more of a large spoon with short prongs\tines.

Wouldn't it be a great idea if we could have our own database\listing of useful items. There have been many really good suggestions in the recent past - but they just get lost among the general features of the Message board.

I remember that Trish posted a list of medications a while ago - it's lost in here somewhere just like many other useful ideas and tools.

Cheers
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 08:02 PM   #6
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Thanks for your responses. I know what we are looking for but it's just not out there - we are searching for more of a large spoon with short prongs\tines.

Wouldn't it be a great idea if we could have our own database\listing of useful items. There have been many really good suggestions in the recent past - but they just get lost among the general features of the Message board.

I remember that Trish posted a list of medications a while ago - it's lost in here somewhere just like many other useful ideas and tools.

Cheers
Did someone call out my name?

Got a tip off from the MB Fairy

Not cheap, and I expect I may be able to hunt further if this is not a satisfactory link but I found a Spork on E-Bay HERE

Totally agree Allan that there could be a better way of gathering info. One of those things I meant to work on at one stage. A project for MY BLOG along the lines of collective links if not manageable in here.

I try to 'bump' the meds list every so often. In the meantime, the Thread is HERE Go to the last page for the most up to date version. Always happy (if that's the right word) to add new ones.

You have done the right thing by opening your enquiry in the right Forum but I agree it's not the easiest way to find things when other posts/threads leap frog as it were.

I did start working on a guide to Messy Board including the use of the Search facility but there doesn't seem to be a way to 'Sticky' anymore. The stickys are posts which remain on top of the Forum.

I know that the HDA Newsletter runs adverts from equipment suppliers and I believe that is a revenue stream too. Potential for us carers/ex carers to push sponsorship maybe?

Good luck with your spork.
Old 09-11-13, 08:35 PM   #7
dennisw
Approved Member

Hi How about a bit of DIY, find a spoon the right size and if you cannot go to local technical school/college and with hacksaw and file cut the prongs you want. Once you get it right might even be a prototype for a cutlery manufacturer.
If go onto various aids for disabled sites there a various pieces of cutlery with large soft handles and bent ends that might help.
Dennis
dennisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 11:11 AM   #8
Darian

Thanks for sharing.
Darian is offline   Reply With Quote