Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 11-06-12, 05:51 PM   #1
WIXYWARKS
Approved Member

Default Recipes

We are now feeding Carole four times a day with a min 2000 cals a day. My recipes are about low volume high calories using cream, additives etc. Any suggestions please and we can share our recipes.

Thank you,

John
WIXYWARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 07:52 PM   #2
Trish
Approved Member

Default Re: Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIXYWARKS View Post
We are now feeding Carole four times a day with a min 2000 cals a day. My recipes are about low volume high calories using cream, additives etc. Any suggestions please and we can share our recipes.

Thank you,

John
Hi John,

I did a post on a Thread from Kayleigh at one stage and have copied in full below.

I will try to dig out more options later and there are several links to ideas on-line on various HD sites including here somewhere.

The use of Enshake (better than Ensure) was great to add to Hub's coffee (tasted like Latte') and I would blend it with milk and fresh fruit to make extra tasty and nutritious.

The soup recipe below was used to make up a batch and I would put it in little freezable dishes and microwave to give little and often, alternating with asparagus; veg; parsnip and other flavours. Couldn't beat Heinz Tomato so I didn't even attempt that one but I'd still add a bit of cream to that one too

'Hi Kayleigh

Time to get Tommy logged on again. You should be resting and building up your strength for Disney and Tommy needs to look at what we put up and also give us input on what he's feeding you already.

I have sooo much admiration for you both. It took me a long time to work out what may be best for Hubby to help him gain weight. It's all trial and error I'm afraid, but I found Hubs did better when I restricted 'normal' foodstuff to about 2 nights a week and gave him soups instead.

Today's brekky for Hubs was hocolate cake mashed up with custard and put in the microwave for a few seconds. I use the full fat type custrad you buy in tubs but ambrosia now do little pots of custard and they do a variety of flavours too. The fuller the fat obviously the better but ambrosia will still chuck in calories whilst moistening the food to make it lessllikely to go into your lungs and make you cough etc.

He's just had a cuppa (I use gold top milk always now) and a Rolo Desert @ 155 calories a time per desert.

Lots of small snacks rather than a big meal works best.

Tonight he will be on Mushroom soup (see recipe below). I'd love to reassure Tommy there are cheats/cheap ways to buy/prepare/cook and it don't take that long really. That's a different thread I was working on but will fastrack it if you think Tommy would benefit.

Desert for Hubs tonight will be a huge portion of Butterscotch Angel Delight made with gold top milk again. Hub's Enshake protein drinks are fortified with vitamins and I get as much of that into him as I can. I'm not anal now about giving him fruit and veg each day.

He also has a Guinness at 9pm and a hot chocolate at 10pm which soothes his tummy before bed

Previous Post to Ru below (I'll dig out an earlier post to you too hunny)

Message from Trish:

Hi Ru,

As others have said high calorific/protein drinks and deserts will help and adapting the food on the plate to be smaller - bite size pieces - is a good way forward.

Tins and packet soups are great but I was surprised to finding how quick and easy making my own soups could be. Soup is freezable as well so making up a batch is not only cost effective but quick and easy to rustle up in a hurry. I've even made my own parsnip soup, left it in the pan covered, then heated it up the next night with a small tin of Heinz Veg Soup (other brands are available) chucked in and made up a tasty alternative.

Below is a basic recipe for cream of mushroom soup. I'm not the best cook in the world so if I can do it anyone can lol. And hey... there's two key HD plus points to this one.

a) Cream = double cream = calorie overload.

b) Mushroom = Trehalose as they are a natural source of Trehalose and Trehalose is thought to help HD http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-trehalose.htm

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Ingredients - All quantities approximate

1 medium onion chopped

1 tablespoon Olive Oil

1 large knob of butter (no jokes please DH)

300g - 400g mushrooms chopped. - I use bog standard closed cup but the world's your oyster (excuse the pun) when it comes to preference.

1 cup of stock. - I cheat and use vegetable stock cubes.

3 tablespoons of flour

200 ml of double cream

Salt and black pepper to taste.

Method

In a medium saucepan heat the oil and butter then saute the onions for aprox 5 mins stirring occasionally.

Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 mins stirring occasionally.

Add the flour a little at a time to thicken the mixture. Depending on how your onions/mushrooms have broken down you may want to add more/less flour. Stir continuously.

Add the stock a little at a time. As with the flour stir continuously and alter the quantity to get the right consistency taking into account blending and adding cream (the next stage) will thin the consistency so don't make it too runny. Simmer for 10 mins.

Blend the contents adding the cream and serve.

Voila!

Hope this helps

Tx '
Old 11-06-12, 09:00 PM   #3
Bormaley
Approved Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bormaley
Default ^^^^^^^^^^^

how do you do?
Bormaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 10:15 PM   #4
Trish
Approved Member

Default Re: ^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bormaley View Post
how do you do?
Very well thank you.

How are you Bormaley?
Old 18-06-15, 07:53 AM   #5
Prolent
Approved Member

These are really some amazing healthy recipes. Thanks for sharing. Eating healthy and balanced foods are not only good for your health but also help in reducing weight. There are many amazing healthy fat burning foods like green tea, lemon, Avocado, honey, cinnamon, turmeric, Avocado, salmon etc. Make sure to include these amazing foods in you everyday routine.
Prolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-15, 10:04 AM   #6
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolent View Post
These are really some amazing healthy recipes. Thanks for sharing. Eating healthy and balanced foods are not only good for your health but also help in reducing weight. There are many amazing healthy fat burning foods like green tea, lemon, Avocado, honey, cinnamon, turmeric, Avocado, salmon etc. Make sure to include these amazing foods in you everyday routine.
Thanks for resurrecting this Thread Prolent

I've noticed in this, and some of the other posts you write from scanning through, you have an interest in health and well being.

That's very good for all people be they from a HD perspective or not so I would not want to stop you from adding your input if people are looking at topics like green tea. However, you may want to do some research on the other side of health and Huntington's disease in respect of weight loss.

Please take into consideration, at the point when some people are seeking advice (as was the case with this Thread) they are looking for tips etc on how to increase weight for their HD person not how to decrease.

My husband was tantamount to a living skeleton when he died. His weight decreased dramatically in the earlier stages; we managed to get him back on course with the help of a dietitian to help gain weight, but then his weight plummeted again in the latter stages. That is even with all the calories and high value food and supplements I tried to help feed him with. A combination of the progression of HD; excessive calorie burning by his system and the fact he didn't want to have a peg feed tube.

Please take that into consideration in terms of posting about weight reduction in this Message Board. Weight reduction is good in many contexts but not always the case in a Huntington's community.
Old 27-11-15, 11:53 PM   #7
Allan
Approved Member

Default Food Glorious Food

Try some of these recipes from Mrs. Biddiss:

www.mortimersociety.org.uk/documentmaster/COOKERY%20BOOK.pdf
Old 28-11-15, 04:56 PM   #8
Crystal
Approved Member

Default Re: Food Glorious Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Try some of these recipes from Mrs. Biddiss:

www.mortimersociety.org.uk/documentmaster/COOKERY%20BOOK.pdf
That's a little gem of a cookery book you have found Allan.
Now I'm going to turn everything around!! I love (well used to!) preparing healthy, nutritious fresh food and then, in latter times, making lots of calorie additions to meals to increase weight (mine as well as hubs!). Most of this has been posted by myself and others over time....... but, at the moment I'm feeling pretty poorly (feel guilty - that word again - compared to what HD heaps on our loved ones.) Nevertheless, that's how I feel and it will pass. At the moment can hardly manage to force myself off the sofa to make so much as a slice of toast for myself and then ... sleep, sleep, sleep. The thought of meal preparation makes me feel queasy and yes, I know I 'should' have a stack of pureed meals (prepared by me!) in the freezer for occasions such as these, but they seem to go as fast as I can prepare them. Which brings me to the point (eventually!) - does anybody else use the ready prepared meals especially for those suffering with dysphagia? I don't seem to have seen any mention of these on the message board. I use them and at the moment am very glad to have a supply in the freezer. The meals are delivered to your home - a set day and time and it is a very friendly, reliable service - usually with the same driver each week or whenever required. I don't pretend to advocate these all the time (but I am tempted, after years of pureeing every single meal!). I'm not sure whether it's o.k. to mention the name of the company?! They advertise on T.V all the time (usually lunchtime!) and in various magazines, supplements, etc. Strangely, they don't seem to advertise the fact that (as well as regular meals and other special diets catered for), they can provide these meals in puree form or pureed/shaped format and I found out about this by chance. The meals mostly go in the microwave to re-heat - even more useful!
Just a thought!
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 05:35 PM   #9
Allan
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
Which brings me to the point (eventually!) - does anybody else use the ready prepared meals especially for those suffering with dysphagia? I don't seem to have seen any mention of these on the message board. I use them and at the moment am very glad to have a supply in the freezer. The meals are delivered to your home - a set day and time and it is a very friendly, reliable service - usually with the same driver each week or whenever required. I don't pretend to advocate these all the time (but I am tempted, after years of pureeing every single meal!). I'm not sure whether it's o.k. to mention the name of the company?! They advertise on T.V all the time (usually lunchtime!) and in various magazines, supplements, etc. Strangely, they don't seem to advertise the fact that (as well as regular meals and other special diets catered for), they can provide these meals in puree form or pureed/shaped format and I found out about this by chance. The meals mostly go in the microwave to re-heat - even more useful!
Just a thought!
Hi Crystal

Wiltshire Farm Foods - Puréed!

Cor blimey! They've gone up in price since I last looked at them.

My Mum used their ordinary meals b4 she went into a Care Home - mainly because preparing a traditional meal for one just wasn't worth spending her time in the kitchen. She always had a smile on her face when she said, "No more washing up either."

Old 29-11-15, 12:09 PM   #10
Trish
Approved Member

Thanks for raising this Thread again Allan.

I did a similar plug for Wilshire Farm Foods a while back.

See Thread HERE which has a link to Angie's Story which has a great video.

Had they been available/I known about them when caring for Steve it would have been a godsend for both of us even if we had one just a couple of nights a week.

Less frayed nerves for both of us and affording more time too.