Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 22-06-15, 11:05 PM   #11
Cupcake
Approved Member

Default Re: Suitable mugs!!

Hi

Where did you get this? Just googled it and they look quite expensive, although some seem to have handles and spouts and some with tubes.

What did you choose and how did mark react to it?

Xx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-15, 12:20 PM   #12
Gillywig
Approved Member

Hi CC,

I got mine online from the Complete Care Shop, it was £5. It's a 500ml one with a handle. No tubes etc.
He was using it yesterday with no spillage at all. He didn't put up too much of a fuss but isn't 100% confident with it either. Hopefully the more he uses it the better it will be for him as it does hold a lot of liquid. He was getting better at using it by the end of the evening.
My only concern was the amount that he was drinking yesterday. Mark is a very good drinker and I didn't think he had that much so I am now worried about dehydration and UTI etc. I have asked his carers to write down how much he is drinking. I think the problem is the bit that he drinks from being quite small so I got the scissors this morning and cut a bit out of it.
We shall see tonight when I get in!!
If the worst comes to the worst then it will be back to the old mug but I think that this could work with some patience.

xx
Gillywig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 01:14 PM   #13
Gillywig
Approved Member

Hi,

Problems with the new mug!!!! Very reluctant to drink from it and has gone from drinking in excess of three litres a day on his own to having to be prompted to use his new bottle and then having to be helped drink from it!!! I am tempted to just give him his old mug back and see if things go back to normal. He has suffered UTI's in the past so I am worrying about that with such a decrease.

I thought this would help him and decrease the massive mess but maybe I just need to let him get on with it!!

What do other think?
Old 09-07-15, 02:33 PM   #14
Cupcake
Approved Member

Bless you.

Has he said anything about the cup? Its so strange how the fluid intake has decreased. Martin can be difficult and not want to drink, I cant make my mind up if it is the cup, or whether it is just the fact he does not think aboyt eating or drinking on his own, and needs constant prompting and then gets annoyed by that. No answers I am afraid. Take care xxxx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 03:05 PM   #15
Gillywig
Approved Member

Thanks for replying Cupcake, as if you don't have enough on your plate right now!
Think I will just let him use to old one and try not to be so OCD about the mess! It's just tiring getting in from work and then constantly clearing up carpets, walls and his chair and steam cleaning at midnight!! Between that and the pee pee problems I worry about having a smelly house!!! Maybe I just need to embrace the smell!!!!
Old 09-07-15, 04:52 PM   #16
shiraz
Approved Member

Ha Ha Gillywig

You and me are the same - shove a brush up me R's and I'll sweep as I go I get through bottles galore of bleach and pine disinfectant and wash the toilet, walls and radiators down twice daily at least coz they get splashed and I'm forever fearful that my house will smell of eau de pee - not that anyone ever comes round...but I'd hate to think it did. I'm forever sniffing things....

You are also like me coz you worry about dehydration, and fluid intake is a constant battle here - it's a pint a day. I have kind of given up moaning about it at the moment because it falls on deaf ears. I just know that more kidney stones are round the corner and I just hope he doesn't end up back in hozzie. Thing is dehydration leads to tiredness and confusion and.....why is everything such a battle If you are thirsty, drink - but no. I am exasperated.
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 06:37 PM   #17
Allan
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
You are also like me coz you worry about dehydration, and fluid intake is a constant battle here - it's a pint a day. I have kind of given up moaning about it at the moment because it falls on deaf ears. I just know that more kidney stones are round the corner and I just hope he doesn't end up back in hozzie. Thing is dehydration leads to tiredness and confusion and.....why is everything such a battle If you are thirsty, drink - but no. I am exasperated.

Isnít it strange - this lowering of volume in liquid intake? S is just the opposite. His Support Worker and I keep him well supplied with drinks Ė and even then, when he ventures out to the corner shop [mainly for ciggies], he tops up with a variety of bottles: Ribena variations, Iced Tea, Dr Pepper, Tango, etc. and heís just discovered a new Ribena - orange & guava.

He has one coffee a day, about four teas a day, one cappuccino, several cartons of Ribena, occasional Lidl yogurt drinks [but they are large and make a right old mess on the carpet as he tramples it in!] plus his own purchases. I should mention that he sometimes has 24 hour spells without sleep so that might explain some of the intake volume. Coffee\tea are early drinks and he doesnít touch the Cola varieties.

About 3 years ago he would drink pints of milk [but not to the great volumes drunk by Daemion]. When he was on medication he would swallow pills without any drink. He will not drink water on its own but itís ok as diluted squash.

So, itís an interesting thought of CCís Ė is M just not hd-thinking about drink [and food] intake? Are your guys still able to think through the hd-process of how to boil a kettle to make a tea\coffee? If you left their favourite drink close to them, say every hour, would they drink it? Or is it all this seemingly hd-thing of canít appear to be bothered to do anything Ė as in the awful case related to us by Jendiplodocus?

Next is food intake - now that's another lengthy story ......

Old 09-07-15, 08:54 PM   #18
Skywalker
Approved Member

[QUOTE=Allan;59941]Isnít it strange - this lowering of volume in liquid intake? S is just the opposite. His Support Worker and I keep him well supplied with drinks Ė and even then, when he ventures out to the corner shop [mainly for ciggies], he tops up with a variety of bottles: Ribena variations, Iced Tea, Dr Pepper, Tango, etc. and heís just discovered a new Ribena - orange & guava.

He has one coffee a day, about four teas a day, one cappuccino, several cartons of Ribena, occasional Lidl yogurt drinks [but they are large and make a right old mess on the carpet as he tramples it in!] plus his own purchases. I should mention that he sometimes has 24 hour spells without sleep so that might explain some of the intake volume. Coffee\tea are early drinks and he doesnít touch the Cola varieties.

About 3 years ago he would drink pints of milk [but not to the great volumes drunk by Daemion]. When he was on medication he would swallow pills without any drink. He will not drink water on its own but itís ok as diluted squash.

So, itís an interesting thought of CCís Ė is M just not hd-thinking about drink [and food] intake? Are your guys still able to think through the hd-process of how to boil a kettle to make a tea\coffee? If you left their favourite drink close to them, say every hour, would they drink it? Or is it all this seemingly hd-thing of canít appear to be bothered to do anything Ė as in the awful case related to us by Jendiplodocus?

I was going to post something here as I am in the same scenario as Allan. I am astonished at the volume of liquids consumed by H - apart from the six espressos per day, herbal teas go by at two an hour, plus endless bottles of mineral water and still she says she is thirsty. Is this par for HD? Also, this leads to near constant trips to pee, some of which are unsuccessful so I phoned her GP to get her looked at for a UTI...she is on a high dose of olanzepine so I don't know if this is a factor. We still walk - or stagger - miles, but it is via every toilet that exists between my flat and Hyde Park Corner. It is a bit exhausting. Anyone else have experience of this?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 08:55 PM   #19
Skywalker
Approved Member

[QUOTE=Skywalker;59942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Isnít it strange - this lowering of volume in liquid intake? S is just the opposite. His Support Worker and I keep him well supplied with drinks Ė and even then, when he ventures out to the corner shop [mainly for ciggies], he tops up with a variety of bottles: Ribena variations, Iced Tea, Dr Pepper, Tango, etc. and heís just discovered a new Ribena - orange & guava.

I was going to post something here as I am in the same scenario as Allan. I am astonished at the volume of liquids consumed by H - apart from the six espressos per day, herbal teas go by at two an hour, plus endless bottles of mineral water and still she says she is thirsty. Is this par for HD? Also, this leads to near constant trips to pee, some of which are unsuccessful so I phoned her GP to get her looked at for a UTI...she is on a high dose of olanzepine so I don't know if this is a factor. We still walk - or stagger - miles, but it is via every toilet that exists between my flat and Hyde Park Corner. It is a bit exhausting. Anyone else have experience of this?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 10:22 AM   #20
shiraz
Approved Member

Hi All

I've come to the following conclusions regards Hubs lack of drinking:

a - he finds swallowing water difficult but he translates this as "my body doesn't need it"
b - as he spills and dribbles things he's trying not to make such a mess of his clothes which upsets him "I'm getting worse...I'm like a baby....I'm sorry, I'm making more work for you
c - he doesn't like fizzy drinks or fruit juices and won't drink milk - though he has it on cereal.
d - his mouth is constantly dry "I'm thirsty" - but he won't have more than a sip at a time (it takes him well over an hour to have a cup of tea, half of it cold, half of it thrown away) - drinking makes him want to wee, and as he's struggling to get up and get there, his answer is "don't drink".

I never stop drinking and am constantly asking him/telling him to drink something. I have tried allsorts of products and flavours all to no avail. He used to enjoy a lager but hasn't had one in over 4 years now.

So, there are many posts about excessive food/drink intake but I see also that there are those who have gone the other way. Is it stubbornness? - stop telling me what to do. Allan he can still make himself a cuppa and I do put drinks out for him, but it's just not happening Like you say, food that's another - though similar - tale. We are on starvation measures here!!
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote