Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 10-07-15, 11:48 AM   #21
Gillywig
Approved Member

Default Re: Suitable mugs!!

Skywalker, this was us a few months ago! Mark would drink about four and a half litres a day. I never knew how he managed it! Now he has to be prompted to drink otherwise he would have very little. It breaks my heart.
We have resorted to letting him drink but helping him if we see its still sitting there. He seems okay with that but he is very capable of doing it on his own.
Maybe introducing a new mug has caused problems and drawn attention to the drinking and now he just can't be bothered.
I never in a million years thought drinking would ever be an issue.
Gillywig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 10:11 PM   #22
saturn
Approved Member

Have tried a lot for my wife, ones with spouts tend to be the best but the spouts tend to break latest one which is working well for her is Babz Flip Straw Tritan Drinks Sport Hydration Water Bottle 700ml on Amazon for I take the straw out so she can lift it up the pull up straw in nice and wide but also the small air valve means drink flows slowly so less choking also when knocked over leaks less. another big plus for her is it looks like any other sports bottle so is happier using it in company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillywig View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for a suitable mug that Mark can use that has been successful? Currently we are using a large camping mug but Mark is finding holding the tea in his mouth difficult and it is falling out. We have had to resort to a waterproof adult bib but this is getting soaked after a few teas. I have tried various cups and even got a beaker but he is finding the change difficult to manage. I have also put the lid back on his camping mug but he keeps missing his mouth.

He is a really good drinker but he is getting stressed at the mess and I am worried this will stop him drinking. I am looking for something large with more of a spout rather than the beaker and a large handle. Someone suggested using a straw but the change is confusing him.

Might just have to let him make a mess!!

Thanks
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-15, 09:12 AM   #23
Gillywig
Approved Member

Thanks for this Saturn. This one looks really good too. It really is trial and error isn't it? We persevered with the Hydrant and he uses it quite happily now!! Took over a month for him to accept it!! Back to drinkling four litres a day with hundreds of trips to the toilet again!!
Gillywig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-15, 12:11 AM   #24
saturn
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillywig View Post
Thanks for this Saturn. This one looks really good too. It really is trial and error isn't it? We persevered with the Hydrant and he uses it quite happily now!! Took over a month for him to accept it!! Back to drinkling four litres a day with hundreds of trips to the toilet again!!
Just a thought Gillywig have you tried giving him a small pot with Biotene gel in it? Biotene is a saliva replacement used by cancer patients you can buy it over the counter or if it works for you your GP can add it to your regular prescription in a jar he can easily dip his finger in and put it in his mouth and replaces a drink or in my wife's case 30 minutes this means less fluid in the day but more importantly for her she can use it overnight by having it on her bedside table and wakes her up less than taking a drink so better sleep, might be worth trying a tube to see how he gets on with it!
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 02:46 PM   #25
WIXYWARKS
Approved Member

Originally Posted by Gillywig
Might just have to let him make a mess!!

You posted years ago and have solved it. I use a tommy tippy feeding bottle and cut a little off the end of the teat. Then use Resource Thicken up with a different range of drinks. Best wishes. John
WIXYWARKS is offline   Reply With Quote