Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 03-07-15, 04:03 PM   #11
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Default Re: Peg feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
Hi Amanda , I've popped up again. Sorry Chris has reached this stage . I am sure they have a light general and a small op to have the PEG fitted . I can't believe they would leave them awake. They knocked my brother out just to do an endoscopy as he was very nervous.

My feelings are if they want the PEG they should have it.
There have been many who say at the start they won't ever have it and then change their mind when the time comes.

No easy answers , everyone is different and no one is right or wrong. My GP is for it and knows of patients who have night feeds. Then you hear horror stories about repeated infections.

Take care love. xx

Hiya Frankie

Heres hoping it all goes smoothly.....i'm thinking positive thoughts positive positive thoughts........i just hope he behaves lol
Amanda Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-15, 09:39 AM   #12
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Went to see Chris yesterday!
He was whipping up his shirt shouting PEG! at me....he seemed quite excited about his trip to the hospital.
He is on the ward as i type probably causing complete mayhem as he's one of those guys that love a nurse's unform !
Last time he was admitted to hospital for dental work he was giddy and loud when they were trying to put on the surgical stockings!! ( he found those quite amusing!)
He will be going to theatre tomorrow morning for his PEG fitting so i'm glad i'm in clinic for the next 3 days to try and take my mind off it......funny thing being a twin x
Old 13-07-15, 10:06 AM   #13
shiraz
Approved Member

Hi Amanda

So....your brother is a cross-dresser with a penchant for nurses uniforms and surgical stockings eh? Well...it takes allsorts I guess... Hope his little op all goes to plan this morning. The main thing is he sounds up for it and happy enough for it to be done, so good luck and here's hoping it all works out for your twin. x
shiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-15, 08:38 AM   #14
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Chris has had the PEG fitted in fact they did it yesterday as they had a spare slot for theatre!
Chris is also needle phobic so i was so worried that he would kick off or have one of his fainting fits but no he proved me wrong and had no issues at all ( twin sister worrying about stuff as per)
he was so sedated he couldnt care less what was happening
Dietician is due to see him and the staff from church walk then he should be allowed back home
He has been making the staff laugh so much......i really can't get over just how different he is its lovely to see....

thanks you lot again for being there for me when i needed you xxx
Old 14-07-15, 08:45 AM   #15
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
Hiya Amanda
My sister in law had a peg fitted and got better at one stage.
My niece is peg fed and her hubby is an angel and is managing quite well. She even tells him that it is not costing him anything to keep her as it is all prescribed ah ah ..

Her speech is very very bad though and even he struggles to understand her. . She is very possessive with him too.

Daemion is terrified though of needles and he has not a clue whats coming to him.

He would give up I think if he knew. He still wont see any of us though.
Hiya sweetie

The possessive part Chris hasn't ever been but i remember Mum being ruddy painful with Dad
Poor Daemion he must be totally pi&&ed off with everything at the moment. Chris only gets to see me and sometimes one of his children but i better not get started on that lot or i'll get thrown off the board for not being ladylike with my Queens English!!!!

Mum never got the chance to have a PEG put in and i'm still scared for Chris he can be a stubborn s**t sometimes.
I really thought the surgical team didn't stand a hope in hell of getting anywhere near him but fair play to them they've managed it and he's still smiling so who knows Jacqueline he might surprise you xxxxx Chris has totally surprised me xxx
Old 14-07-15, 08:48 AM   #16
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
Hi Amanda

So....your brother is a cross-dresser with a penchant for nurses uniforms and surgical stockings eh? Well...it takes allsorts I guess... Hope his little op all goes to plan this morning. The main thing is he sounds up for it and happy enough for it to be done, so good luck and here's hoping it all works out for your twin. x

Hi Shiraz

I always knew i should be worried about Chris ad his stockings hahahaha he does find some things hilarious at the moment like weeing in the shower and jiggling his bum about!! He's turning into a horny toad at the moment!!! Told him he had better behave himself !! He just pokes out his tongue at me and pretends to do a wolf whistle (badly)

Amanda
Old 29-07-15, 09:08 PM   #17
Ian P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Stansfield View Post
Hi all

Twin brother is due to attend hospital tomorrow to be assessed for PEG insertion!
Just been told that should they decide he can have it done he will be awake for the procedure!! can this really be true?? Chris can't sit still even if he wanted to! Plus every time someone has come " ANYWHERE" near him with a needle never mind a scalpel he has fainted and then had a fit!! ...............hmmmmmmmm told the staff that it might be an idea to discuss this issue seeing as though Chris is now going through the stage of kicking out when not getting his own way and screaming at people!!
Has anyone else had any issues re PEG insertion? I'm scared he will have one of his "sulking" sessions and pull it out.....

GIVE ME THE STRENGTH TO CONTINUE TO SMILE EVEN WHEN I WANNA CRY FOR A WEEK!!!!

Hi, my wife Muriel had a PEG tube inserted last year; she was sedated for the procedure and was told that she would not remember anything about it afterwards. It all went fine and she was out of hospital the following day. With regard to the PEG itself it made huge difference in terms of improving the quality of her life over the next 9 or 10 months; sadly she died unexpectedly 6 months ago but I have no regrets about her having the PEG. The PEG took the pressure off Muriel having to eat and drink enough especially as I stopped going on at her about it! She put on weight and was especially happy about not having to swallow tablets any more. I found the PEG fairly straightforward to manage and we were also very well supported by the community dietician and PEG nurse whenever we needed it. In my view it was certainly the right choice for us, however I accept that it will not be the case for everyone. Other members of the wider family who have HD have not opted for a PEG so it is ultimately a very personal decision. I hope this helps if anyone is thinking about this currently.
Ian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-15, 09:20 AM   #18
shiraz
Approved Member

Hi Ian

Firstly, sorry to hear about your wife Muriel. It must still be very raw for you.

PEGs are indeed a very personal choice but as you say, you get used to things - kind of like needing a stoma. Once you - the carer - have learnt what to do, its fine for you...so long as it's what your "loved" one wants.

So good of you to share your positive experience of this and, once again, sorry to hear of your loss. x
Old 10-08-15, 11:03 AM   #19
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Thank you to all of you for your lovely messages.
Chris is doing better now and you can tell he's happier, he's been more animated this passed week. I think he's also glad that he no longer has to try and swallow medicaions xx
he still eats the normal way as much as possible as this is the only pleasure he has left, but they do push fluids through his PEG now x

thanks again to all of you x
Old 11-08-15, 12:18 PM   #20
shiraz
Approved Member

Hi Amanda

So nice to hear that your brother is feeling happier and seems to be getting along with his PEG. That's so good to hear. However, I must take issue with you babes...surely eating is not his only pleasure....what about the joy he gets from seeing you - his beloved twin Good news all round I guess, coz you are obviously feeling more upbeat so your patients are...safe!! x