Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 17-08-15, 08:28 AM   #31
Amanda Stansfield
Approved Member

Default Re: Peg feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
Hi Amanda....

I can tell you who I look like, will that do? I am kind of a cross between the gazelle like Elle MacPherson and the curvy bombshell that is Cindy Crawford and I have the voice of that other gorgeous creature Shania Twain Yeah, right...in me dreams Oh, and Hubs looks like Kevin Costner, Mark Wright [god he's hunkydory] and George Clooney all rolled into one = we are a match made in heaven!! Just as well beauty is in the eye of the beholder!! I look and feel more like a wizened old prune

lol ive just got back into work and read your post lol im sat here with a daft grin on my face funny woman
Amanda Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 12:35 PM   #32
v wright
Approved Member

Hi Amanda
Thanks for posting this tread. I've been so nervous about J's imminent PEG, tying myself in knots but not letting on to J because he's quite ok with it. Such a reassuring outcome. Hope your brother continues to do well, all the best X

Such a wonderful message board with amazing people
v wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 04:18 PM   #33
Trish
Approved Member

Hi V

Just been checking out this Thread and your Independence Score one.

I appreciate there's not much time now to get the book before the op but I flagged up an interesting book I saw advertised a while back.

Click HERE for my original post but the book is called
Complete Tubefeeding: Everything you need to know about tubefeeding, tube nutrition, and blended diets

Link HERE to the listing on Amazon.

Also...

I note you are in the part of he world that is not a milllion miles away from Sandringham.

When I reached crisis point with Steve, I was lucky enough to be able to organise a few nights with Steve at Park House Hotel. As it says, it is a hotel. Not a residential home. By that token I was able to stay there with Steve and it gave us both respite at a time it was badly needed. Respite together!

More about Park House is given HERE
Old 06-09-15, 12:49 PM   #34
v wright
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Hi V

Just been checking out this Thread and your Independence Score one.

I appreciate there's not much time now to get the book before the op but I flagged up an interesting book I saw advertised a while back.

Click HERE for my original post but the book is called
Complete Tubefeeding: Everything you need to know about tubefeeding, tube nutrition, and blended diets

Link HERE to the listing on Amazon.

Also...

I note you are in the part of he world that is not a milllion miles away from Sandringham.

When I reached crisis point with Steve, I was lucky enough to be able to organise a few nights with Steve at Park House Hotel. As it says, it is a hotel. Not a residential home. By that token I was able to stay there with Steve and it gave us both respite at a time it was badly needed. Respite together!

More about Park House is given HERE
Hi Trish
Thanks for the info. I've just purchased the book…amidst my panic I didn't even think of reading up on it :roll eyes: I have heard of Park House don't think we have the funds right now but maybe sometime in the future. All the best X
v wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 09:46 PM   #35
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v wright View Post
Hi Trish
Thanks for the info. I've just purchased the book…amidst my panic I didn't even think of reading up on it :roll eyes: I have heard of Park House don't think we have the funds right now but maybe sometime in the future. All the best X
Hope the book is of use. The fact it was written by someone with first hand experience gives it brownie points I reckon.

As for Park House, I expect things have got a lot tighter now. However, Continuing Care eventually helped fund hubby's part of our trips where I argued it made more financial sense to pay for us to have short respites there as a couple, than for him to have 2 weeks in a nursing home and both of us being worse off afterwards. Even to the point of his being potentially placed permanently in a home if I went under through the worry about him not coping with being apart and the backlash when he would return and take it out on me!

Park House can arrange funding in some cases but I know it was the usual story of different authorities having different criteria etc.
Old 06-09-15, 10:36 PM   #36
Cupcake
Approved Member

Quote:
Hope the book is of use. The fact it was written by someone with first hand experience gives it brownie points I reckon.

As for Park House, I expect things have got a lot tighter now. However, Continuing Care eventually helped fund hubby's part of our trips where I argued it made more financial sense to pay for us to have short respites there as a couple, than for him to have 2 weeks in a nursing home and both of us being worse off afterwards. Even to the point of his being potentially placed permanently in a home if I went under through the worry about him not coping with being apart and the backlash when he would return and take it out on me!

Park House can arrange funding in some cases but I know it was the usual story of different authorities having different criteria etc.
Useful link Trish on Park House, would have tried it with hubby if I had known it existed. Sadly I think things are too far advanced now to go, but you never know. Xxx
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-15, 10:22 AM   #37
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
Useful link Trish on Park House, would have tried it with hubby if I had known it existed. Sadly I think things are too far advanced now to go, but you never know. Xxx
I hope you do get to have a break there.

Don't forget it's a hotel with a proper restaurant open to the general public. Maybe you can go have lunch there and check it out and have a word with the staff?

Here's a clip from Trip Advisor. Link to the Park House Reviews below the clip:

Quote:
I have been here for lunch a number of times and find the food and surroundings are great. I guess most people seeing that it is a Hotel for people with disabilities fail to appreciate that it is open to non residents looking for a quiet, quality venue to have a good lunch.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...a_England.html

If you do get to visit, have a look in the 'Library' which is the room just opposite the Reception and has a wonderful painting of Princess Diana.

Many happy memories of me and Steve in there where he would sit in his wheelchair reading the paper and looking at the birds outside the window while we waited for the morning tea and cake trolley. In the afternoon we would sit in the conservatory and be served afternoon tea and cake from a proper trolley They would make a little pot of custard to make the cake more soft and mash-able for Steve bless him. They also knew my choice of wine for lunch/dinner and get in Guinness for Steve lol.
Old 07-09-15, 12:35 PM   #38
Crystal
Approved Member

Quote:
I hope you do get to have a break there.

Don't forget it's a hotel with a proper restaurant open to the general public. Maybe you can go have lunch there and check it out and have a word with the staff?

Here's a clip from Trip Advisor. Link to the Park House Reviews below the clip:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...a_England.html

If you do get to visit, have a look in the 'Library' which is the room just opposite the Reception and has a wonderful painting of Princess Diana.

Many happy memories of me and Steve in there where he would sit in his wheelchair reading the paper and looking at the birds outside the window while we waited for the morning tea and cake trolley. In the afternoon we would sit in the conservatory and be served afternoon tea and cake from a proper trolley They would make a little pot of custard to make the cake more soft and mash-able for Steve bless him. They also knew my choice of wine for lunch/dinner and get in Guinness for Steve lol.

I too am building 'happy memories' at Park House - it was this thread Trish that prompted me to finally know it was time to 'come on board' as a new member - too many hours spent not sharing my knowledge with others!

Crystal
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-15, 06:32 PM   #39
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
I too am building 'happy memories' at Park House - it was this thread Trish that prompted me to finally know it was time to 'come on board' as a new member - too many hours spent not sharing my knowledge with others!

Crystal
Good to see you have too have had opportunity to experience Park House.

It's a wonderful place!

Me and Steve had room 25 on all our visits.

I'm pleased I've helped inspire you, with others no doubt, to share and maybe even offload as it often helps put things into perspective when putting digit to keyboard/keypad.

My involvement with Messy Board is not so much these days but I do try to dip in and out and am happy to share advice if I can help.
Old 07-09-15, 07:17 PM   #40
Crystal
Approved Member

Quote:
Good to see you have too have had opportunity to experience Park House.

It's a wonderful place!

Me and Steve had room 25 on all our visits.

I'm pleased I've helped inspire you, with others no doubt, to share and maybe even offload as it often helps put things into perspective when putting digit to keyboard/keypad.

My involvement with Messy Board is not so much these days but I do try to dip in and out and am happy to share advice if I can help.

Thank you Trish. We had Room 25 on our last visit! Previously our room had been 15 (on two occasions) and when Park House offered us a different room I thought it may not be a good idea!? We all know what change can do!! All was fine and the view wonderful! such a 'special' place. You (and others) have inspired me and I was so sorry for your loss (and others too). Have 'the book' and also other publications that were recommended - been there, done that, but yet to get the 'T Shirt'!
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote