Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Diet, food, equipment

Diet, food, equipment Ask questions or pass on ideas about diet, food and equipment

Old 07-01-16, 02:56 PM   #1
ru
Approved Member

Default Messy mealtimes

Can you guys tell me what you use to protect clothing and floors at mealtimes? I've tried towels tea towels , but food is getting all down hubby and floors ugh I'm fed up with the washing !
ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 07:33 PM   #2
Trish
Approved Member

Default Re: Messy mealtimes

Hey Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

How's youuuuuuuuuuuuuu?

I've put in a few links below but, I would swap between the longline (tartan type) adult bibs and the paper type disposable ones.

I spot on the 2nd link that they are advertising a longline towelling one. I was soooo looking for one of those when I used one at Park House as it's a nicer, softer and more absorbent material but didn't find on in time as it were.

The third link is to the bed pads although I found they were great to put on chairs and on the floor as a safeguard if needed.

Link A Adult Bibs

Link B Bib Link including the towelling bib (Reversible - Pack of 2

Link C Absorbent Bed Pads

Hope these help!

And don't forget guys... Whilst things may have changed since my time (I hope not) when ordering stuff you should look for the forms/mention if ordering by phone, that you are ordering VAT Exempt.
Old 07-01-16, 11:53 PM   #3
Cupcake
Approved Member

Hi,

Just recently chucked out the bibs and pads Trish is talking about, I could have given them to you living just over the border.

Have to say like you tried towels, t towels etc, and then ordered the tartan bibs on link 2, think ordered the large, so they were quite long and wide, and they have a tray bit to catch anything. Great product, hubs did not really want to wear it, but as I pointed out saved him having to worry about the mess and we were at home no one sees. Only got them in the July, wish I had done it before, so did not have much use as I ordered 5, to allow for washing, but they are quite sponge able so that was a bit excessive.

Just watch with the bed pads that you take note of the size you are ordering as there are several to choose from. Indeed they are brilliant for covering the chairs. They are still VAT exempt, but you need to mention it if on the phone, or fill in the exemption certificate online.
Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 09:08 AM   #4
banda
Approved Member

Was thinking about it and I would be putting my table protector on the floor...it is waterproof and can be sponged....and you can buy any size off the roll in somewhere like Boyes or Lewis's.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 11:17 AM   #5
Trish
Approved Member

CC's mention of 'tray' reminded me of another thing we purchased that helped later on. Having said that, if it had been available earlier I do wish I had got it for Steve before he got to the stage he needed me feeding him as I believe it would have helped his dignity at mealtimes when feeding himself and maybe kept him able to do so longer?

Like a lot of people we would, in the earlier days, sit with laps on our trays in front of the telly.

Trays became too difficult for obvious reasons (not just the legs being a bit tremory but the distance from plate to mouth meaning more difficulty)

Anyhoo

I'd bought one of those tables that raises up ( see here) but they didn't go up all that far so we switched to sitting at a dining table and it wasn't the same

It wasn't until Steve was in a wheelchair, and by then I was feeding him, that I found these overchair type tables that would fit over proper size armchairs.

Because designed to go over the arms they raise up higher and make it better in terms of distance from plate to mouth. It would have been lovely to get one, or even two so that I had one too lol and mealtimes with Steve being able to feel 'normal' would have been good.

They have a lot of room too which allows for less chance of knocking things over on a cramped space.

Click HERE to see The one I got

Click here for other versions
Old 08-01-16, 04:53 PM   #6
Crystal
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
CC's mention of 'tray' reminded me of another thing we purchased that helped later on. Having said that, if it had been available earlier I do wish I had got it for Steve before he got to the stage he needed me feeding him as I believe it would have helped his dignity at mealtimes when feeding himself and maybe kept him able to do so longer?

Like a lot of people we would, in the earlier days, sit with laps on our trays in front of the telly.

Trays became too difficult for obvious reasons (not just the legs being a bit tremory but the distance from plate to mouth meaning more difficulty)

Anyhoo

I'd bought one of those tables that raises up ( see here) but they didn't go up all that far so we switched to sitting at a dining table and it wasn't the same

It wasn't until Steve was in a wheelchair, and by then I was feeding him, that I found these overchair type tables that would fit over proper size armchairs.

Because designed to go over the arms they raise up higher and make it better in terms of distance from plate to mouth. It would have been lovely to get one, or even two so that I had one too lol and mealtimes with Steve being able to feel 'normal' would have been good.

They have a lot of room too which allows for less chance of knocking things over on a cramped space.

Click HERE to see The one I got

Click here for other versions

Thank you Trish for all the above useful info! Have not browsed this particular website before. Have today ordered one of the 'overchair tables' ! No time like the present!
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 11:31 AM   #7
Trish
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
Thank you Trish for all the above useful info! Have not browsed this particular website before. Have today ordered one of the 'overchair tables' ! No time like the present!
Nice one.

I hope it helps.
Old 09-01-16, 11:56 AM   #8
Gabby
Approved Member

Ru Thank you for posting and thanks for reply Trish I have noted the sites for future reference

Take care

Gabby
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 01:41 PM   #9
jaq
Approved Member

We have something similar but why use it when you can use your very unstable lap always going to be the best option especially when you have a sister on hand who loves cleaning and a small dog who gets there first .
jaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-16, 11:56 AM   #10
ru
Approved Member

Hi trish thanks for info ordered adult bib today u will let you know how it goes , can't be any worse eh ! X
ru is offline   Reply With Quote