Return to HDA home page HDA Message Board
HDA About the HDA HDA What is HD HDA Juvenile HD HDA Children & Young People HDA Professionals HDA Resources HDA Research HDA HDA News HDA Events HDA Contact the HDA HDA Home Page

Outside of office hours if you need someone to speak to you can phone the Samaritans on 116 123

Go Back   HDA Message Board > Message Board Categories > Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis

Research, drugs, treatment, new diagnosis Forum for medical issues, and for the recently diagnosed (and families)

Old 26-11-09, 03:31 PM   #11
just1moreperson
Approved Member

Send a message via Yahoo to just1moreperson
Default Re: Mematine

I'm clueless on this kind of stuff. But from what I know is that Memantine helps against HD symptoms by giving a small dose, a larger dose of Memantine actually helps HD progress so it's important the dose is right. This is all new though and Barb whose in Canada goes to Dr Michael Haydens clinic in Vancouver, Dr Hayden is one of (if not) the top HD scientist in the world. Which is why Barb is getting Memantine already when hardly anyone else is. So it's in early stages and it may take time to filter down to all of us, but there's no harm pushing that timeline along if you can! Because it looks certain that it does indeed help.
just1moreperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-09, 05:02 PM   #12
colettew
Approved Member

I think because it is approved for other conditions it is possibly available. I am not too sure though as I dont seem to be able to find anyone in the uk who is taking it! I guess as it is approved for other conditions it is as safe as can be. What is missing is clinical trials for the drug on humans with HD. The results of that however could be years away. I guess it depends on individual cases as to the best action to take.
colettew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 12:42 AM   #13
Scarlett D.
Approved Member

Colette and Matt, thank you both for the info.

I will ask my Neurologist about it when I next see him.

Take Care,
Scarlett
Scarlett D. is offline   Reply With Quote